Icons moved on desktop after update

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Guest, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Guest

popcycleken

As noted above, a Live Update now fixes the basic problems. However, I did lose my added icons, will need to re-do. This, btw, is part of the fundamental flaw I noted earlier. If they're not going to fix it, might be better to drop the special acer front end, and just put the icons you want on the real desktop, no?

Ken

popcycleken, Sep 22, 2008
  2. Guest

stuartmitch

ditto that. When I installed Thunderbird it created an icon for me... now I need to find it and get it back. :(

It also seems to me the functionality to drag your preferred icons around on the desktop isn't what it was. Is it just me?

All this and they have the cheek to call this update number 190004 *again*!

stuartmitch, Sep 22, 2008
  3. Guest

willwgp

This is great that they've fixed it though! That's all I cared about!

Glad you got it working Faz :) we're all here for ya!

willwgp, Sep 23, 2008
  4. Guest

geep

latest update fixed my icon problem but now Skype icon is missing, also echo the inability to drag icons around

geep, Sep 23, 2008
  5. Guest

flatboarder

Why don't you just backup your modified desktop xml config file and keep it somewhere in your homedir? Whenever system update puts some changes on the .config/* file, you may review it, merge the new changes into your individual file (nice formatting, so handling is much easier) and you have got everything you like.

For those working with emacs, there is ediff-buffers function, providing a sophisticated diff tool to give a perfect overview which sections and which details were changed between two files in emacs buffers. You may easily merge in changes in every direction you like, just by pressing button A or B, guided by colour highlighted diff regions. Sure, I know, thats not an issue for a typical netbook user. But in case you like to change your desktop icons or icon numbering, and you like to keep that, you may want to think about it, since it makes diffing of files really easy, whereas using the normal diff tool may be a pain.
    However, using ediff-buffers would require identical xml file formatting and line indentation/spacing for both files being compared, so you would have to reindent the Acer config file or keep your own file in original messed up indentation. As to my knowledge there are tools for a complete auto indenting XML files, but I cannot tell right now.

I diffed the latest config update against my reverted and reordered desktop config with individual icons, and this way got all important issues of both files.
    Regards, Phil

flatboarder, Sep 23, 2008
  6. Guest

Krinor

Thanks Phil!

I just ran live update on my wifes machine, and everything works flawlessly now.

Krinor, Sep 23, 2008
  7. Guest

scub1andy

if you do an update they have done a fix now (as it happened to me) :D

scub1andy, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question