ies4linux on Linpus lite of AA1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by simonwong, Sep 3, 2008.

1. simonwong

simonwong

While I am looking through other threads for other Linux distro liveUSB installations that support the atheros wifi outright, or through madwifi, or ndiswrapper, (I tried without success with PCLinuxOS and knoppix 5 :cry: ), I actually am quite satisfied with Linpus lite, after replacing its icetea with the true Sun Java. But there's one outstanding problem that's constantly pressing me to go for other distros, as my installation of ies4linux breaks down almost as soon as ies4linux begins to download and install the necessary files.

Has anybody has any successful attempts or knows the trick to get around?

simonwong, Sep 3, 2008
  2. simonwong

Grim Squeaker

Use the text-only installer, and it works.

Command: ies4linux --no-gui

Grim Squeaker, Sep 3, 2008
  3. simonwong

simonwong

Dear Grim,

Thanks for your solution. But it did not quite work in my case !? I installed cabextract, wine and ies4linux and ./ies4linux --no gui as directed, but error messages splashed the screen, indicating download failures and command errors... - pretty much the same as the case with the pop-up dialog box.

I have not done any tweak or hack with my AA1, so it is intriguing to note the difference. It would be nice if other users can post their experience.

simonwong, Sep 10, 2008
  4. simonwong

Grim Squeaker

Intruiging - I get this:

What do you get ?

Grim Squeaker, Sep 10, 2008
  5. simonwong

simonwong

Hi, Grim Squeaker,

Your promptness and details are appreciated, and finally I have got ies4linux installed and with it surf the IE-only webs as before just like with other linux distros.

Did I go astray in one step or another? It might be. Because I did not use "tar" to decompress the tarball but use whatever is the default decompression utility the distro comes with it, and my habitual mouse clicks in Windows are too fast for linux (proven times and times before), I might have entered a directory level too deep to execute ./ies4linux. (I still remember having seen the many .sh files that must reside in a directory).

Suffice it to report here that the Linpus lite of aspireone, even with its older WINE, supports ies4linux. And I again thank Grim Squeaker for his /her help.

simonwong, Sep 15, 2008
  6. simonwong

drafferty

Hi guys,
    This install runs for me, except for the swflash bit from macromedia.
    Unfortunately I cannot see how to run ies4linux after that.
    No icon appears anywhere and I cannot find an executable.
    Any help appreciated.

Danny.

drafferty, Jan 22, 2009
Ask a Question