import through gphoto2

Discussion in 'Linux' started by qbic2005, Jan 22, 2009.

1. qbic2005

qbic2005

This guide will explain how to import photo's from digital camera through gphoto. For all those digital camera's that don't create a mass usb storage device when connected to a PC there is an easy linux alternative.
    All necessary tools are installed by default on your AAO!
    gphoto2 is a commandline tool, but there is actually a very nice GUI installed on your AAO : gthumb :twisted:

If you want to go the quick and dirty way, you could execute this command from a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo gthumb --import-photos

But you would be executing the whole thing as root, which isn't the proper way. To give your usb ports the correct access rigths you'll have to execute the following commands, time to open the terminal and run the following commands:

creating the camera list (as root!!):
    Code:
     su
    /usr/lib/libgphoto2/print-camera-list  udev-rules version 0.98 script foobar > /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules

/usr/lib/libgphoto2/print-camera-list  udev-rules version 0.98 script /path/to/foobar  > /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules

/usr/lib/libgphoto2/print-camera-list  udev-rules version 0.98 group plugdev mode 0660 > /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules

You might also want to check that your camera is in the camera list at this point?
    Easy, just connect your camera and type the following in a terminal: lsusb and identify your camera id.

Open the file /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules and check that your camera ID is in the list
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules 
    (for example my Canon EOS350D wasn't in the list, just add a rule with id 04a9:30ef)
    Code:
     ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="30ef", GROUP="plugdev" 
    [Optional] you might want to restart udev to make the changes effective now

Still as root user, add the default 'user' in the right groups:
    Code:
     groupadd plugdev
    groupadd -g 31 usb
    gpasswd -a user plugdev
    gpasswd -a user usb

[Optional] you might want to log out/in to make the changes effective now

If you didn't make the optionals, doesn't matter just restart now.

tada :!: your done. just make a shortcut for "gthumb --import-photos" and you're ready to go. (as you start the app it takes a long time to load the camera drivers +/- 1 min)

I did some experimenting with gtkam, the default GUI for gphoto2, without any success however. And since gthumb delivers the same functionality out of the box ...

qbic2005, Jan 22, 2009
  2. qbic2005

qbic2005

Some additional info
    1. the (lib-)gphoto2 version that is installed by default on your AAO is a little out of date.
    Upgrade libgphoto2 and gphoto2 to the latest version (v2.4.4 now) through the package manager.

I got this output at the moment
    Code:
    $ gphoto2 --version
    gphoto2 2.4.4

Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Lutz Mueller and others

gphoto2 comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may
    redistribute copies of gphoto2 under the terms of the GNU General Public
    License. For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.

This version of gphoto2 is using the following software versions and options:
    gphoto2         2.4.4          gcc, popt(m), exif, no cdk, no aa, jpeg, readline
    libgphoto2      2.4.4          gcc, ltdl, EXIF
    libgphoto2_port 0.8.0          gcc, ltdl, USB, serial baudboy locking
    2. I put my Canon 350D on "PC link" mode (not on PTP) which works a lot quicker for me.

3. In this version timelapse (" gphoto2 --capture-image -I=x -P=y ") works also more stable :geek:
    :idea: Does anyone know a little gui to do timelapse :?: :!:

qbic2005, Jan 25, 2009
  3. qbic2005

medimus

Sorry, but this guide is absolutely useless for someone not very familiar with Linux. It's full of terms and explanations that make no sense for me, who have just learned how to open the terminal and have no idea how to make a shortcut to the locked Linpus lite system.

medimus, Aug 19, 2009
Ask a Question