Improve battery life?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ibidem, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Ibidem

Ibidem

Anyone have hints on improving the battery life?
    AA1/A150 (ZG5) with 3-cell (6 or 9 would be nice)
    I have Lucid Lynx, acerhdf is configured, I don't want to mess w/ wireless since it seems marginal.
    I set cpufreqd up so that on battery it uses the ondemand governor, with the max speed taken down a little bit; on low battery it will disable the networking.
    Yes, I have used powertop. The audio seems maybe a little the worse for powersave; I'm not sure how to permanently set autosuspend for usb devices.
    No Mono here; allegedly that can lower battery life.

What's the best life on a 3-cell battery? I know the indicator is garbage, but an idea of what's possible would be nice.

Ibidem

Ibidem, Apr 9, 2010
  2. Ibidem

bailout

There were quite a lot of posts on this when they first came out. The most effective methods seemed to be turning the screen brightness down and turning off wireless when not in use. As to battery life I think I was getting about 2 hours from my 3-cell. I recently bought a 9-cell and it certainly gives more time but is huge and heavy :shock:

bailout, Apr 14, 2010
  3. Ibidem

Jimux

Jimux, Apr 15, 2010
  4. Ibidem

Ibidem

As I said, I have used powertop.
    What I was thinking about is more along the lines of linux-phc, changing governors, etc.
    Powertop takes power down ~1.3 watts (to 8.0 watts estimated usage)
    There's a "tunable" that makes it use just one core until loads go up...

Ran across "jupiter" for the eeepc...haven't tried it.

Ibidem, May 6, 2010
Ask a Question