INQ1 3 Mobile USB Modem Software

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Noodle1975, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Noodle1975

Noodle1975

Hello,

Has anyone been able to get the INQ1 by 3 Mobile in the UK running as a 3G USB Modem device on the Linux AA1? I just bought one. It has free internet, and works as a usb modem on windows and mac via the bundled cd-rom software.

I did find the following information:

http://wiki.github.com/stefanha/inq1linux

But it talks about compiling the software etc and I cannot get these commands to work at all in the aa1 fedora terminal.

I would appreciate it greatly if anyone could simplify, or create a walkthrough for this.

Thanks! Here's hoping some genius reads this !

Noodle.

Noodle1975, Feb 10, 2009
  2. Noodle1975

Noodle1975

Update:

still struggling to do this. I think I just need someone to compile a kernel for me so that linux recognizes the modem ->

it will then be easy to connect using gnome ppp.

Any ideas on compiling this kernel ?

Noodle1975, Feb 15, 2009
  3. Noodle1975

Noodle1975

If anyone is interested, I finally managed to do this:

I've tried to simplify this for the aa1, written originally by Stefan Hajnoczi at http://wiki.github.com/stefanha/inq1linux

It's still in development and early testing, but I've been able to connect the INQ1 via USB to the aa1 and use it as a 3g modem. It took me quite a few efforts to get used to running the scripts in the various terminals.

Some notes to support this:

n.b. In a terminal, entering command “kdesu konqueror” and your root password will let you view all files and folders on the aa1 as root, which will help you to find / edit the correct files and folders outlined below.

n.b. Open a root terminal here – I mean in the folder specified, right mouse click in the window and choose “Open a terminal here” Then enter command “su” + enter. And your root “password” + enter.

n.b. Opening a root terminal – I mean press alt + f2 then enter cmd “su” + enter. And your root “password” + enter.

Ok let's begin:

Make sure you have the libusb headers installed - Check that the file /usr/include/usb.h exists. If not, you need to install a package called libusb-devel (I'm not going to explain how to do that here as it's straightforward to do that with your software package manager so go learn how to do it)

Download inq1linux 0.1 to your downloads folder, by going to your downloads folder and open a root terminal here. Then enter the follow command (+ enter):

curl http://vmsplice.net/inq1linux-0.1-bin.tar.gz | tar xzf -

A folder inq1linux now appears in your downloads folder. You need to simply copy and paste the 3 scripts from the folder: inq1linux/pppd-scripts/inq1* into another folder on your system which already exists at location: /etc/ppp/peers (you can do this using konqueror as mentioned above).

You then need to make sure these 3 scripts are executable by typing the following command after opening a root terminal

chmod 700 /etc/ppp/peers/inq1*

Connect the phone to the aa1 via USB lead – on the phone close the dialog asking whether to do a Memory Card transfer or PC Sync by pressing “Back”. This leaves the phone ready to use as a USB modem.

On the aa1 (very important) ignore the pop up window asking to allow/ignore autorun. Leave it alone, don't close it, nor choose either option in the window.

Still in the same root terminal window (or a new one) you can check dmesg to find out which scsi-generic device has been added. Just type command:

dmesg

In my case it was “sg1” You have to look through lots of rubbish, but just look for “usb generic device”

In the inq1linux folder, open the src folder. Open a root terminal here then enter the following command

./sendscsi /dev/sg1

(where “sg1” is the scsi-generic device...i.e. In my case it was sg1 from above)

In the same root terminal here window enter the following command

./startmodem

which prepares the USB modem interface

In the same root terminal here window enter the following command

./usbserial modem

and note the device path it prints, e.g. /dev/pts/1.

You may need to edit and save the script which is found at /etc/ppp/peers/inq1 to set the correct device path (e.g. if the above usbserial output differed to that of /dev/pts/1....if not you don't have to).

Turn off your wifi switch and Opening a root terminal enter the following command:

pppd call inq1

If things go smoothly you will see a ppp network interface being created and output from the ppp protocol. Obviously leave that terminal running.

At this point, open firefox and surf the web. You may need to choose “file, and un-check Work offline” then refresh.

Noodle1975, Feb 22, 2009
Ask a Question