Install Acer Messenger at Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by optimisme, Sep 30, 2008.

1. optimisme

optimisme

Is there a chance to use 'Acer Messenger' installed by default at 'Linpus Linux' from an Ubuntu installation ?

AspireOne Messenger is a very good software, I don't konw why Acer don't distribute (or even sell) it for popular distros like (for example) Ubuntu. I would pay 20€ (more or less) for using MSN video chats from Ubuntu, in an easy and Gnome friendly way.

Well, this is not what Acer did and is not possible to purchase this software and install it from .deb package. So I paid for it (when I purchased AspireONE), and I want to use it from my Ubuntu OS. Is there a way to install it ? I tried but there are some library problems, is there someone who knows how to do it ?

Thanks in advance

(I know this is a really freak and difficult question :p)

optimisme, Sep 30, 2008
  2. optimisme

rachel

I believe it's a custom build of Pidgin. Ubuntu's gnome desktop install includes Pidgin itself by default. Use that. :)

rachel, Oct 1, 2008
  3. optimisme

optimisme

No, pidgin doesn't have live web cam chat.

optimisme, Oct 4, 2008
  4. optimisme

RockDoctor

If you have both Linpus and Ubuntu both installed, you can copy the needed library files from Linpus to Ubuntu. I have not tried this, so I don't know if the Linpus libraries you need conflict with needed Ubuntu libraries.

RockDoctor, Oct 4, 2008
  5. optimisme

teaker1s

worth a check with package manager (yum) on linpus as you may be able to use "alien" to install the rpm into ubuntu

teaker1s, Oct 9, 2008
  6. optimisme

jango

can you post the name of the rpm?

jango, Oct 9, 2008
  7. optimisme

teaker1s

Off hand I don't know the rpm name, you could possibly get a copy of linpus repositories and use synaptic to search for it or possibly add the recovery cd as a source and seach it with synaptic. either way just be careful that you remove the source afterwards so you don't break ubuntu.

it apears acerim is installed in the factory image, I intend to contact marcele who I believe is the acerim developer or at least made the emicons

teaker1s, Oct 10, 2008
Ask a Question