Install Slackware using USB

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Aspire One, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Aspire One

Aspire One

Before I actually ask my question, let me be a little more specific about me request. I want a complete installable boot on my usb, not the boot image available in the slackware tree in /usb-and-pxe-installers directory. With tha said, let me ask my question. I have not found a complete or easy to follow 'how-to' to get a complete install of slackware onto a usb. I am wanting to be able to pop in my usb and install slack, not simply boot so I can setup with the core files hosted elsewhere. Alien BOB was starting a guide to do this, but it is not complete, and I would guess when it IS complete, it will be written from a linux user standpoint already. I will end with this, especially considering in this whole topic I have not even asked a question, but I am desiring to build this install from my win environment.

Aspire One, Nov 18, 2008
  2. Aspire One

Duncan_Rowland

Hiya,
    is it particularly slackware you want to install, there are many flavours of Linux already with fairly complete howtos...

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 18, 2008
  3. Aspire One

Aspire One

Aye, my desire is to tri-boot my aao using winxp, slackware and mac osx; whereas I will be running slax as a system utility. But let me iterate something, I am a simpleton with linux, therefore I am needing to be able to either have a how-to to create the bootable files in windows or be able to interpret a guide made for linux and use it in my win environment.

Aspire One, Nov 18, 2008
  4. Aspire One

Duncan_Rowland

Sorry, I don't know slackware, so I can't really advise...
    But for interest, for this kind of system utility, I find booting backtrack3 from a usb stick works well...

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 18, 2008
  5. Aspire One

Aspire One

I have bt3 as well as slax on bootable usb's for live booting, but my desire for slackware is to be a recovery 'disc', and I am going to be making one for mac osx and windows very soon. Edited - Acyually, if you can perhaps direct me to guides or how-tos on making bootable installations for mac osx and winxp too, I would be appreciated. I was able to make bootable drives using the u3 customizer method, but I would rather do this the 'right' way and bypass anything like that, making a stictly boot usb device.

Aspire One, Nov 18, 2008
  6. Aspire One

fweigel

If you are a Linux (Unix) beginner, Slackware is NOT the Linux distribution you want. Slackware is a Linux distribution that is designed to be as close as possible to BSD Unix.

Just FYI: Some parts of Slackware are in Linpus (part of the startup system), probably because it was more easily customized.

Slackware does not have a (modern) software packaging system, with dependencies. Instead, it is expected that the user will be able to compile her own applications. Slackware also REQUIRES text mode -- a graphic installer is not even available. If you are not comfortable with at least the "vi" editor, Slackware is not for you.

Before attempting Slackware on the Aspire One, please load it on a standard desktop, and study the installation and startup scripts. As soon as you are able to understand Slackware, you will be able to install it to the Aspire One. As a bonus, the knowledge gained will also let you install multi-boot. (Note that Slackware doesn't even use GRUB as a boot-loader yet -- it's just too new for those folks; Slackware uses LILO by default. As soon as you know the difference, you should be able to arrange the multi-boot stuff).

fweigel, Nov 21, 2008
Ask a Question