Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

2manydjs

Thanks, any idea what the difference is between the two and if we should have both enabled?

2manydjs, Aug 15, 2008
  2. WanderingStar

Casao

Thanks for the response, but I managed to resolve the error. Apparently I was using 8.04 instead of 8.04.1, and once I fixed that it worked ok. Strange things is, neither the eeebuntu NBR iso nor Ubuntu eee pack worked when I tried it, dunno if that's specific to me or a general thing to put out there.

Casao, Aug 15, 2008
  3. WanderingStar

2manydjs

Has anyone tried unetbootin in Linpus to create a bootable Ubuntu USB stick? I have used it in Windows which worked very good. If this works with Linpus, we could change the guide as you don't need another computer anymore.
    Code:
    sudo yum install syslinux mtools
    curl -O [url]http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/unetbootin/unetbootin-linux-248[/url]
    chmod +x unetbootin*
    sudo ./unetbootin* &
    (Download the regular .iso and restore it the the USB stick)

PS you might want to replace curl -O with wget, phpBB gives an error when I write wget...

2manydjs, Aug 15, 2008
  4. WanderingStar

2manydjs

I'm not using audio right now, but is everything working as should with -model=acer? If so, we would want to update the help page.

2manydjs, Aug 15, 2008
  5. WanderingStar

einarth

I don't think there is any reason to echo 1 to "sched_mc_power_savings". In fact, as this file does not exist it only produces an error. (You can try this using "sudo bash /etc/rc.local"). On my Ubuntu installation this resulted in the termination of the rc.local script without the rest of the commands being executed.

einarth, Aug 15, 2008
  6. WanderingStar

Casao

Does anyone know exactly how to fix the launcher freezing? I put the 10UMELauncher script in there, but it doesn't seem to be helping anything. I made it executable but still no go. Should there be a hash bang up top? Should I make the file as my normal user and move it with sudo?

Also, does anyone know a good way to stop Compiz from booting on start? I've been manually running metacity --replace, I guess I could add that to the startup script...

Casao, Aug 15, 2008
  7. WanderingStar

philubuntu

Hi Guys!
    I have yet to purchase my One but have been following this thread with interest. I have been using Ubuntu for 2 years and would like to continue that way. It would be REALLY helpful if someone could pull together all of the advice into one post...the advice all looks really solid but also a little confusing having it spread out over so many posts. Having said this...everyone that has posted advice deserves a medal for working on this!
    Why can't everyone just put Ubuntu on their macchines before they leave the factory???? (Elonex Webbook is a good example- £220 from Carphone Warehouse...I would buy one if the ONE wasn't so good looking!!)

Great forum.....

philubuntu, Aug 15, 2008
  8. WanderingStar

einarth

einarth, Aug 15, 2008
  9. WanderingStar

philubuntu

philubuntu, Aug 15, 2008
  10. WanderingStar

axcairns

Only sound problem I have is that the headphones being plugged in doesn't mute the main speaker.

Allan

axcairns, Aug 15, 2008
  11. WanderingStar

axcairns

Can you check /var/log/pm-suspend.log? It should show (among others) the following -

Code:
    running hook: /etc/pm/sleep.d/01UMELauncher
    Creating resume-notify file
    Re compiz - go to system > preferences > appearance, select the visual effects tab and select None.

Allan

axcairns, Aug 15, 2008
  12. WanderingStar

bones

Code:
    sysctl -w dev.wifi0.ledpin=3
    gives me the following Response=

Code:
    error: "dev.wifi0.ledpin" is an unknown key

Any Ideas?

bones, Aug 15, 2008
  13. WanderingStar

Piajeno

Hello!

First of all, thank you very much for your efforts: I apply all the instructions and everything was perfect :p Now I am the proud owner of a Acer Aspire One with Ubuntu... Great!!!

Just one question: when I install (or unistall) with "sudo apt-get...", at the end it says a message:

"E: Falta el directorio de listas /var/log/apt/"

(That means that the directory /var/log/apt is missing, although I don't know how the message is in english)

It should be related to the advise "REDUCING SSD WEAR:", that add the line containing that directory in the fstab.

Now, the question is: is this a grave error? Can I live with this?

Thank you again!!!

Piajeno, Aug 15, 2008
  14. WanderingStar

glibdud

No, this isn't anything to worry about. Apt is trying to log what it's doing, but the directory it expects didn't get set up for some reason. It will still function correctly... it simply won't log anything. I've been running with that configuration on my EeePC (with lots of updates and software installations) for months without problems.

Did you set up your /etc/fstab with the /var/log/apt line? If so, I'm curious as to why it seems like it's not mounting properly...

glibdud, Aug 15, 2008
  15. WanderingStar

Piajeno

Thank you for your fast response!

Yes. I added to my /etc/fstab entry exactly the lines that the article suggest:

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=28d5c508-dd3e-45d2-9bdb-5d3c76cd7a63 /               ext2    noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /dev/sda2
    UUID=2a2901fa-0d45-42b9-9fc4-49988db8c04f none            swap    sw              0       0
    # /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
    # HACK para reducir escritura de logs en el SSD
    tmpfs     /var/log/apt     tmpfs     defaults     0     0
    tmpfs     /var/log/        tmpfs     defaults     0     0
    tmpfs     /tmp             tmpfs     defaults     0     0
    tmpfs     /var/tmp         tmpfs     defaults     0     0

Piajeno, Aug 15, 2008
  16. WanderingStar

witvis

I have been fooling around trying to have the leds working following suspend/resume.
    Tried to make a script in /etc/apci/resume.d but it seems the system does not go there after resume.... :twisted:

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Peter.

witvis, Aug 15, 2008
  17. WanderingStar

melanoidin

Hey all, I'm trying to decide between the hard drive and ssd versions. It seems like most people here have the ssd version, does anyone have ideas about whether ubuntu would have any problems on the hard drive version? I'd rather have a hard drive, but being able to run Ubuntu is more important.

I tried searching this thread for "hard drive", but it told me that hard and drive are both common words, and were excluded from my search. hah.

melanoidin, Aug 15, 2008
  18. WanderingStar

SbM

What flavour of Ubuntu do you use? I had no problem setting these values in Xubuntu. Try "sudo sysctl -w dev.wifi0.ledpin=3", just in case.

SbM, Aug 16, 2008
  19. WanderingStar

bgeery

..fixed..

bgeery, Aug 16, 2008
  20. WanderingStar

Casao

So what's the deal with UME Launcher resuming from Suspend? I have the script listed on the wiki page and it still stays frozen. Did I do something wrong? Is the script just bunk? Has something changed recently?

Casao, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question