Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

pmosher

Does anyone who has installed Ubuntu on the Aspire One (and gotten WiFi to work) know whether the problem described in the thread below occurs under Ubuntu? Briefly, the problem is that the WiFi connection drops randomly after seemingly to work just fine for long periods. This occurs with both WinXP and Linpus Linux Lite models, and no one has even come up with a reliable workaround short of suspending or restarting.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1477

If this behaviour isn't seen under Ubuntu, my interest in converting from Linpus will increase a great deal. The problems that remain unsolved under Ubuntu seem more minor than random network disconnects.

Pauline

pmosher, Aug 20, 2008
  2. WanderingStar

towel

Hey guys,

I've been avidly reading your posts and trying to come to a rudimentary understanding of what Linux is all about. Unfortunately I'm a huge n00b when it comes to this type of configuration.

In particular I've come into a bit of trouble with the notation in the above guide for making the wireless driver "stick". The guide says:

Or more specifically why that command is not giving me permission to the /etc/modules file.

I'm unsure as to what the double > is indicating. If anyone could clear this up for me I would be much obliged!

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I apologize, I'm just ignorant of linux! I needed to be in the root, not in my user to access that. I fixed it simply by typing sudo su-

towel, Aug 20, 2008
  3. WanderingStar

vince1977

Hey guys,

First of all thanks for all the good work, for pure n00bs like me, things wouldn't be the same without your help.

Am going through the liveUSB installation process and everything worked just fine until I plugged in my USB stick on the Mac on which I am running the liveCD iso...then double clicking on the liveUSB deb I get this error message:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: syslinux

Apologes if this is a stupid question but clearly I've been stuck at this point since then so any help to clarify this and find a way around the issue would help.

Thanks again !

vince1977, Aug 20, 2008
  4. WanderingStar

ags

Really this is a separate topic, and should be split off into Newbie Linux - or something...

The power of the Unix commandline comes from simple commands that do one thing very well and can be used as building blocks to do more:

sudo = "Do this operation as root" You will be prompted for your user password, and you need to have been added to the list of users who can 'sudo'.
    echo = Print - usually to the screen, unless modified like below.
    ath_pci = The text you want to 'echo'.
    >> = append to the end of the named file (> writes a new file and deletes any older ones and << or < will operate right to left!).
    /etc/modules = the file to append

Putting it all together: "As root, add 'ath_pci' to the end of the existing file /etc/modules"

ags, Aug 20, 2008
  5. WanderingStar

wyl

Hi everyone,
    I got stuck in: Step Two: Install Ubuntu (on my aa1):
    >>Once that is done, shut down the other computer and remove the memory key. Shut down your Aspire One and insert the memory key that we just used. Turn on the One and tap F12 to bring up the boot menu. Choose the boot to USB option.<<
    so far so good.. :D
    But continuing the process it goes wrong:
    >>This will boot you to the LiveUSB stick, and allow you to install Ubuntu.<<
    After a while i get a "(initramfs)" prompt :?: :?: :?:
    On top of this black screen it says: "udevd-event[1370]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit"
    As i am a newby to Linux everything here ends for me. :x
    I've tried several times, i've bought a new USB stick and tried again, i've burned a new CD (RW) and also tried again, but nothing helps.
    Can anybody help me?
    thanxx in advance,
    wyl

wyl, Aug 20, 2008
  6. WanderingStar

qball

I think you say that wrong.. it sais

(as root print "ath_pci" )and append that to /etc/modules
    However the "append" isn't done as root.

qball, Aug 20, 2008
  7. WanderingStar

einarth

The guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne) has been updated to suggest manually editing /etc/modules so that there will be no doubt that the changes occur as intended, and the wireless module gets automagically loaded on reboot.

einarth, Aug 20, 2008
  8. WanderingStar

Casao

I've noticed this once or twice under Ubuntu, usually after long periods where it sits doing nothing.

Casao, Aug 20, 2008
  9. WanderingStar

pmosher

Thanks Casao. I thought this might be the case, since it affects both Linpus and WinXP machines.

What do you have to do to get it back online -- does the Ubuntu network manager do the trick, or do you have to suspend or restart?

By the way, this "sudden disappearance" of the wifi connections happens regularly on my One during active use, not just after periods of inactivity. If it only happened while inactive, it would be easier to live with.

Pauline

pmosher, Aug 20, 2008
  10. WanderingStar

axcairns

While in the live cd session, open a terminal and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install syslinux
    That should install the syslinux package and (hopefully) then allow you to install liveUSB.

Allan

axcairns, Aug 20, 2008
  11. WanderingStar

vince1977

Thanks axcairns, just tried and it's not working, the terminal now shows :

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install syslinux
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package syslinux

At this point am considering trying a manual install of syslinux if anyone can help me do this, unless there is another solution...? Did anyone here have the same problem while following the liveCD / liveUSB installation process ? :?:

Thanks in advance.

vince1977, Aug 20, 2008
  12. WanderingStar

axcairns

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    and uncomment all the repositories that are commented out by default.

axcairns, Aug 20, 2008
  13. WanderingStar

Casao

Network Manager doesn't do it, the switch on the front might, but I don't think I've set it up properly.

I just reboot, it's a quick process and I rarely have anything open that needs saving on my AAO.

Casao, Aug 20, 2008
  14. WanderingStar

poningru

I guess this is the perfect time to introduce my latest script:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTe ... -script.sh

Just run that and ubuntu should start up after reboot
    how to run it:
    1. Download the script: make sure to save to disk, not run it with mousepad or whatever.[/*:m:31c522nc]
    2. open up the terminal by pressing alt+f2 and typing terminal and pressing enter.[/*:m:31c522nc]
    3. cd Downloads[/*:m:31c522nc]
    4. chmod +x Install-Live-script.sh[/*:m:31c522nc]
    5. sudo ./Install-Live-Script.sh[/*:m:31c522nc]

poningru, Aug 20, 2008
  15. WanderingStar

eladekralc

I keep getting this

./Install-Live-script.sh: line 20: syntax error near unexpected token `elif'
    ./Install-Live-script.sh: line 20: `elif [ ! -e ubuntu*desktop*.iso || ! -e hardy*.iso ] then'

Hope it is a glitch...

eladekralc, Aug 20, 2008
  16. WanderingStar

poningru

doh there were multiple idiocies in there sorry.
    They should be fixed now. Still making sure nothing bad from the grub is happening. Do not use
    -Eldo

poningru, Aug 20, 2008
  17. WanderingStar

eladekralc

Eldo

I am now getting no such file command...

Any ideas

Dale

eladekralc, Aug 20, 2008
  18. WanderingStar

voffer

I'm using Xubuntu and would like to have the inner mic working but also be able to turn off the built in speakers so that I'd have sound only from headphones if they are plugged in. Is there any way to do this?
    Or is there any way to manually turn off the speakers but still have sound from headphones when needed?
    I've tried options snd-hda-intel model=acer and options snd-hda-intel model=auto -- with "acer" the headphone detector doesn't seem to work and with "auto" it seems to work so that it turns off the speakers but there's no sound from the headphones either...

voffer, Aug 21, 2008
  19. WanderingStar

vince1977

So after I uncommented those guys, I run apt-get again and keep getting the same "E: Couldn't find package syslinux" at the end of the procedure, thus preventing liveUSB from running :?:

Really don't know what's going, checked the .iso and the USB stick...everything is as it should be...

vince1977, Aug 21, 2008
  20. WanderingStar

glibdud

You might need to do a "sudo apt-get update" after editing sources.list.

glibdud, Aug 21, 2008
Ask a Question