Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

poningru

Ok guys everything is fixed now, everything should be working now.
    Now there are some caveats when you do the installation from the desktop make sure to do choose the manual partition and then keep the 1 gig space until after the install otherwise it will just fail. So dont install to the entire disk, just to the portion that was being used by linpus lite.

I would definitely recommend not using this, only because for a person who doesnt know much about parition and stuff this may get confusing; instead use my alternative install script

poningru, Aug 21, 2008
  2. WanderingStar

poningru

Guys please test this out and pm me with any issues that might crop up. I am now working on adding better defaults (integrated wifi drivers, netbook remix/normal option etc.) so let me know what you guys think.

poningru, Aug 21, 2008
  3. WanderingStar

spinnekopje

Normally I get my AA1 tomorrow and I want to know just one thing before I install ubuntu netbook remix on it...

Is it possible (if needed as root) to mount SD cards when plugged in after booting ubuntu. For me that is very important as my digital camera (USB connection) doesn't seem to like linux distros. Is there someone who has the card readers work properly (not only for SD cards, but for all of them)? I can't find the answer on the forum.

spinnekopje, Aug 21, 2008
  4. WanderingStar

yodersj

Even though I'm using Fedora I wanted to give a big thanks to all here who've shared what they found. About the only thing I have to add at this point is I feel I'm getting better network results since I went with the latest RealTek driver, for the wired NIC:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...n=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

Before it was defaulting to the r8169 (I'm running F8 w/ kernel 2.6.25.11 for now and have blacklisted the r8169). I don't think I've seen anyone mention what driver Ubuntu is defaulting to. Anyway, before I switched out the wired NIC drivers the wireless NIC would only sometimes be detected (I've also compiled the madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801). Don't know if it is related or not, but wanted to mention it.

I've almost got my spin of the F8 KDE LiveCD ready for install. Primarily need to get resume from sleep and hibernate working better. If I run across anything that might help you all out I'll post it. Need to buy a SD card to check the readers with too.

Again, just wanted to say thanks!

yodersj, Aug 22, 2008
  5. WanderingStar

kastigar

Hi, all!!!

I have some suggestions about https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

All strings like "sysctl -w vm.swappiness=1" in rc.local is equals to "vm.swappiness=1" in /etc/sysctl.conf.
    Also, "echo 3000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs" = "sysctl -w vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=3000" = "vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=3000" in sysctl.conf.

And about
    "/usr/bin/setkeycodes e055 159
    /usr/bin/setkeycodes e056 158"

What do you think about to create AA1's keymap file?

kastigar, Aug 22, 2008
  6. WanderingStar

Kenzyh

An equal hello to everyone! I'm a happy user of AA1 A110, I have the latest BIOS in (yes, without any blackouts), 8GB SD-card and so on. Well, I'm running Ubuntu Hardy, and Netbook Remix and I have only one problem left. The one problem that makes this netbook a little less than a perfect tool for me - The WLAN-connection freezes when downloading torrent-files from any tracker. No matter what client I'm using or anything, it just disconnects the WLAN, and I have to restart the networking services to get the Net up and running again. I have a 8/1 connection and I think that the problem is in the WLAN-drivers. Anyone sharing this problem with me? The wired connection works without any hangs or disconnections, and the another laptop with Vista in it works perfectly over WLAN. PLEASE HELP ME :)

Kenzyh, Aug 22, 2008
  7. WanderingStar

jzx

I've just got Ubuntu running on my AA1. Just looking for a way to mount my SD after boot up now.. Shall be perfect then!

jzx, Aug 22, 2008
  8. WanderingStar

Kenzyh

I suppose that the SD can be mounted manually while added, since the SD-card is recognized by the system when you plug the card in. If you use the expansion slot, the SD card will be shown as /dev/mmcblk0p1. So, if you put a line "/dev/mmcblk0p1 /path/to/the/mount/dir vfat umask=0000 0 0" to the /etc/fstab, you can mount the device by typing "sudo mount /path/to/the/mount/dir" in terminal... I'm not sure, but I think that might help. I have that similar line in the fstab, and I never take the SD card off from the slot, so it will be automounted on every boot in /path/to/the/mount/dir.

Kenzyh, Aug 22, 2008
  9. WanderingStar

jzx

Makes sense :) I'm planning to have my /home/user on the SDHC so I'll be able to come home from college turn the AA1 off and chuck the card straight into my desktop PC to continue working on whatever documents I was doing. Hopefully it'll work!

jzx, Aug 22, 2008
  10. WanderingStar

skateasian

help: ive decided not to install it, but rather run it off an 8gb flash drive. so i made a liveusb with the option of read-write. it boots fine and i have over 6gb for storage. however when i try to install stuff, like a theme or the wifi thing, it says that i do not have enough disk space and it shows that i have absolutely 0kb disk space.

why isnt it letting me use the 6gigs even though /home/ubuntu all that stuff is on there and works fine.

skateasian, Aug 23, 2008
  11. WanderingStar

Kenzyh

Hit alt+f2 and type "gparted" to the text field and hit enter. You will see the partition table of the usb-stick. If there's free space to use, try to resize the /- partition, or create a new partition to the /home/- mounting point... if there isn't any free space left and the gparted shows that the /-partition has 6GB of free space, then I don't know what's the problem there :eek:

Kenzyh, Aug 23, 2008
  12. WanderingStar

lolknight

Hi guys,

I am pretty new with Ubuntu on my Aspire One (120GB XP, 6-cell), although I put Ubuntu 7.04 on my main laptop before (everything worked OOTB). I followed the guide here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne, except the SSD mods, but I couldn't get the sound working. I also tried the link to Alsa on the tutorial on this thread, and it didn't help either. dmesg doesn't show anything related to sdn_, but does show this line:

Code:
    [  239.653986] ALSA /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/pci/hda/../../alsa-kernel/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:586: hda_intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode: last cmd=0x01570900
    Anyone have any idea how to get past this? It's frustrating me and any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

lolknight, Aug 23, 2008
  13. WanderingStar

kastigar

I have a question about MADWIFI.
    Can i build it on my desktop PC (under the same Ubuntu 8.04.1 and under the same kernel), create deb package and then install it on AA1? I don't want install build-essentials and others and build driver on AA1.

kastigar, Aug 24, 2008
  14. WanderingStar

Kenzyh

Answering to myself:

[​IMG]

This was the solution to the problem with the torrents... and in case of someone isn't cabable of reading Finnish (shame on you), that window is "Hardware drivers". And every tutorial tells to disable those drivers when using the madwifi- package - I don't find any troubles using those, just having wlan working properly now. Please report me, if you have some different solution to this..

Kenzyh, Aug 24, 2008
  15. WanderingStar

vince1977

Hi,

Well, now that I managed to install Hardy, I am struggling to get the madwifi drivers...Specifically, I get the .gz and unpack it then run the terminal commands...and a couple of things seem awkward :

- First of all the madwifi folder only contains a readme file explaining that this tarball is no longer in use => was this changed recently, in which case am using a non-existing file to start building this driver which could explain the second issue (once again, am totally new to Linux so pls forgive my lack of knowledge about how all of this works)

- Once I downloaded the build-essential linux-headers, the make command returns this : make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

So, essentially I am left with a Readme file and no drivers, since the building portion of the howto can't be completed :?:

Any help would be greatly appreciated pls.

Thanks !

vince1977, Aug 24, 2008
  16. WanderingStar

Kenzyh

Well by following these instructions, things can't go wrong. I just tried the wget, and it downloaded a working package, and by untaring it i had a fully functional source-directory to compile :)

Kenzyh, Aug 24, 2008
  17. WanderingStar

Guest Guest

"Well by following these instructions, things can't go wrong. I just tried the wget, and it downloaded a working package, and by untaring it i had a fully functional source-directory to compile :)
    Well by following these instructions, things can't go wrong. I just tried the wget, and it downloaded a working package, and by untaring it i had a fully functional source-directory to compile :)"

Well Kenzyh, I'm running into the exact same problem right now as vince1977. And yes, I'm following the exact same instructions and still getting the same "no targets specified and not makefile found. Stop." error when I type make. So there is clearly a problem here. I've already rechecked my typing twice. Any other suggestions.

I did load Ubuntu within windows xp on my acer aspire 1 w/120 gig hd. But I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Guest, Aug 24, 2008
  18. WanderingStar

Kenzyh

I'm not now sure are you guys getting the proper tarball, so is it a connection-related problem, or is it just the compiling, that doesn't work? However, i uploaded the correct tarball to Rapidshare:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/139766633/m ... ar.gz.html

Just download that one, and extract it somewhere, and follow the instructions. I just don't know what else could go wrong...hmm.

Kenzyh, Aug 24, 2008
  19. WanderingStar

vince1977

Thanks Kenzyh, worked like a charm and I figured out the issue with the tarball: it appears one version (think its one I found on the forum rather than on the Ubuntu help pages) refers to a different madwifi driver package name which is no longer used.

The one referred to in the Ubuntu help pages (linked to from Kenzyh's post) works great and everything is running smoothly now.

One thing I noticed though is that the page load time is much longer through wifi now than it was either with the wired connection or the wifi connection under Linpus Lite...any thoughts ?

Thanks again guys, I love Ubuntu so far !!! :D :D :D

vince1977, Aug 25, 2008
  20. WanderingStar

Guest Guest

Kenzyh, I found out what was wrong....I didn't need to download anything, but thanks for providing that.
    Turns out when I was following the instructions, I was downloading a more current tar......madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801

And of course I was typing/copying/pasting from the instructions..... cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3816-20080724
    Instead, I needed to type cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801 and everything worked after that.
    So I was using an outdated line from the instructions.....maybe someone should correct that in the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

Thanks for the help anyway. Wifi working now....just need to finish rest of it. :D

Guest, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question