Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

Kenzyh

Hah, well that explains a lot ;) You're welcome guys, that's why people are here for. And cookinchef, try to learn to use the tab key while typing those commands, copy+paste is dangerous, as you have already noticed ;) to go to the untarred madwifi-directory, just type "mad" in the directory, where the tarball was extracted and hit the tab-key, the rest of the directory's name appears. The same method works for untarring etc, it decreases the amount of possible errors during the compile process ;)

Kenzyh, Aug 25, 2008
  2. WanderingStar

Guest Guest

Tab key hey? Think like Homer.....where is the tab key......oh no, it must be like that any key....AAAAAHHHH!!!!
    j/k. thanks for the tip.

Guest, Aug 25, 2008
  3. WanderingStar

danne

I updated it to work with more recent snapshots, please tell me if I broke something.

danne, Aug 25, 2008
  4. WanderingStar

clairvaux

I haven't had much success with this guide-- I followed the guide to the letter and can't get audio/wifi to work at the same time. At least one other person on the forums has the same problem.

I don't know about anyone else, but here's what is happening:
    I get audio during the login screen. As soon as the desktop loads and my wifi card connects to my network, I lose all sound functionality. The only temporary fix I know, is to recompile the alsa drivers and reboot. Then it works fine-- until the next reboot.

In another case, I get audio during the login screen, and when my desktop loads, the wifi card isn't enabled. In fact, there doesn't appear to be any wifi driver loaded. The "enable wireless" option is gone entirely from the tool bar menu. Audio, however, works fine! I can play all my songs in Banshee-- no problem. The temporary fix: recompile the madwifi drivers and reboot. Then it works fine... until the next reboot.

This is the weirdest thing ever. :geek:

clairvaux, Aug 25, 2008
  5. WanderingStar

einarth

It will work if you add the following line at the end of /etc/modules:
    Code:
    snd-hda-intel
    This should be in addition to the sound-driver line in the same file, which you were already instructed tu put there if you read the guide. I have updated the guide to give instructions about this.

einarth, Aug 25, 2008
  6. WanderingStar

thynamite

I am facing the same issues as clairvaux.

It didn't work after reboot either.

thynamite, Aug 25, 2008
  7. WanderingStar

Guest Guest

I saw the redone line ..... cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6*
    does the * mean it automatically sees the latest one?
    I'm not familiar with that. Sorry. I'm not a big linux expert here. Just know enough to get around in it.

Guest, Aug 25, 2008
  8. WanderingStar

einarth

* matches any string. Given that you have only downloaded one version of the driver (with a file name starting with the part before the *) this will be OK.

Regarding the sound and WiFi problems I remember having the same problem when I installed a few weeks ago, but I might have done something else also in order to make it work that i don't remember now...

einarth, Aug 25, 2008
  9. WanderingStar

clairvaux

That'd be something to research einarth. There are at least four of us on the forums who have the same issue. I'm going to play with this problem too-- though I'm a total noob at Linux, I might find a way ;)

Edit: Here's what I just did-- maybe this will help you find out what the problem is:

My sound drivers aren't working, so once again I followed *all* the steps on your guide pertaining to Alsa. After I rebooted the system, I was able to open Banshee and play music....but my wireless networking settings are gone! If I right click on the network toolbox icon, it just says "Enable Networking." It does not say "Enable Wireless."

So, I re-compiled and installed the mad-wifi drivers. After rebooting, I opened Banshee and I couldn't hear any audio! It appears that Alsa is disabled... but the funny thing is, I am connected to my wireless network! If I right click on the network toolbox icon, it has the "Enable Wireless" feature-- and it's activated!

clairvaux, Aug 25, 2008
  10. WanderingStar

Infected24

Hey, what about using a USB HDD instead of a Usb Stick? Is there gonna be any problem?

Infected24, Aug 26, 2008
  11. WanderingStar

tigerwoods

Wow, I just wanted to say thanks for writing such an excellent post, and wiki guide on ubuntu.com. Thank you thank you...

tigerwoods, Aug 26, 2008
  12. WanderingStar

poningru

poningru, Aug 27, 2008
  13. WanderingStar

YooY

the guide is really great... I'm completely newbie (a rookie he he ) with linux but I went trough the steps easily with the help of this thread (sometimes it is good to know the problem the others encountered, it gives you perspective and seldom, confusion :p ) .
    THANKS
    The only problem I couldn't figured it out by myself is the following : when I try to run a video test with skype, ubuntu freezes :eek: The same when I try a video call with a friend... its freezes and I have to shut down the computer
    Of course I have the latest version of skype (debian 2.0.0.72-1_i386)

did I miss something in the guide especially dedicated to the webcam problem with ubuntu, I didn't do the audio stuff yet... I did a newbie install with GDebi package installer... maybe I'd better to install it with the terminal? What do you think?

YooY, Aug 27, 2008
  14. WanderingStar

baseline

Hi guys,

To get that little extra edge of less SSD wear, use the following setting:

Add the following line to /etc/sysctl.conf:
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 15000

RESULT:
    This will extend the life of the SSD by writing only every 150 seconds (2.5 minutes) to it, unless low memory or something else forces a write sooner.

CAVEAT:
    You will risks losing any data written to disk within the last 150 seconds should the system crash. Alter this value for a lower or bigger number to suit your relative SSD life v. system crash paranoia.

note. adapted from - http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_on_the_EeePC#Decreasing_the_disk_IO:

cheers

baseline, Aug 28, 2008
  15. WanderingStar

kastigar

Hi.

I have a little suggestion about softled and ledpin.
    In ath/if_ath_pci.c I found this code in probe function:
    Code:
            /* Enable softled on PIN1 on HP Compaq nc6xx, nc4000 & nx5000 laptops */
            if (pdev->subsystem_vendor == PCI_VENDOR_ID_COMPAQ) {
                    sc->aps_sc.sc_softled = 1;
                    sc->aps_sc.sc_ledpin = 1;
            }

It's possible to patch function for AA1 something like that:
    Code:
            /* Enable softled on PIN3 on Acer Aspire One */
            if (pdev->subsystem_vendor == /*AA1 WIFI-CARD VENDOR_ID */) {
                    sc->aps_sc.sc_softled = 1;
                    sc->aps_sc.sc_ledpin = 3; // or -3 for solid light
            }

In this case, possibly, we don't need dev.wifi0.* declarations in sysctl.conf and in resume scripts.
    I haven't testing these yet.

is it useful?

kastigar, Aug 28, 2008
  16. WanderingStar

axcairns

Excellent work! Downloading now.

Question - will this need to be manually reinstalled after a kernel upgrade?

Allan

axcairns, Aug 28, 2008
  17. WanderingStar

kastigar

What about kernel version?

kastigar, Aug 28, 2008
  18. WanderingStar

axcairns

I tried this on my 2 week old ´less than fresh´ Hardy with kernel 2.6.24-19-generic and it didn´t work. I noticed a lot of unknown symbol errors in dmesg. Had to recompile madwifihal to get network back.

Allan

axcairns, Aug 28, 2008
  19. WanderingStar

kastigar

Last kernel version is 2.6.24-21 (updated 2 days ago or yesterday, don't remember).

kastigar, Aug 28, 2008
  20. WanderingStar

YooY

just a little question, I had my internal mic working finally, but the sound is not as so good at it was with linpus. Not a big deal but I just want to know it it's a common problem and if external mic recording is better?
    thanks

YooY, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question