Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

Poldie

You wouldn't get an option when you boot-the instructions refer to an app you install which does the os install for you. It's odd that the keyboard doesn't work. I'd try a usb keyboard or perhaps see if you can just get away with starting the install using a mouse.

Poldie, Oct 5, 2008
  2. WanderingStar

craggsy

Cheers for the wiki, guide got everything working fine. One thing though I no longer have the sound icon in my system tray, so to change the volumes I have to open terminal and put in alsamixer. Any ideas how to get it back ?

craggsy, Oct 6, 2008
  3. WanderingStar

Guest Guest

Odd... Just installed 8.10 Beta, and both were enabled (and conflicting) out of the box. I had to blacklist ath_pci for WiFi work. No fancy switches or LEDs, but the fundamentals work fine. Oh well, at least I didn't have to recompile the module. I updated the Wiki (sort of) just so people know.

I ran "sysctl -a", and couldn't see anything relating to WiFi LEDs.

Guest, Oct 6, 2008
  4. WanderingStar

Poldie

Right click on the taskbar (if that's what it's called in Ubunto) and I think there's an `add to panel` option - a box should pop up and you can drag items onto the taskbar from it.

Poldie, Oct 6, 2008
  5. WanderingStar

Poldie

The document linked to is confusing - near the top (step 3) it refers to 8.10 where it once referred to 8.4.1. I don't see that the document should refer to 8.10 at all, given that it's an 8.4.1 guide, and if it does, surely it should be further down. I raised this issue in IRC which apparantly is the quickest way to get help/advice, but I was told (eventually) to mention it to the mailing list there - I've not had time, though.

Poldie, Oct 6, 2008
  6. WanderingStar

RichardMathie

this is further to my previous post, WPA works, but WEP dose not, i am currently connected over wifi with WPA, leds working, and i think the kill switch works also, but has anyone got any ideas why wep dosnt work? it seems odd

RichardMathie, Oct 6, 2008
  7. WanderingStar

ude

Hello i want install wifi in ubuntu, but when i write:
    Terminal say:

Someone help me please :(

Thx!

ude, Oct 6, 2008
  8. WanderingStar

Guest Guest

Also, after installing intrepid, I've run into two other issues.

First, PulseAudio requires a restart before it works. However it's related to all hardware, not just the AAO : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/274577

Second, any hardware accelerated planes have some major artefacts. Check out these two screenies:

[attachment=1:29ein8ql]screenshot-1.png[/attachment:29ein8ql]

[attachment=0:29ein8ql]screenshot-2.jpg[/attachment:29ein8ql]

This seems to happen both with and without the graphic tweaks supplied in the guide. Has anyone else encountered (and hopefully fixed) this issue?

Guest, Oct 7, 2008
  9. WanderingStar

RichardMathie

are your repos up to date/correct /connected to the internet?
    did you
    it worked when i installed it :S

RichardMathie, Oct 7, 2008
  10. WanderingStar

craggsy

Well I'm confused. Booted up today, the wifi manager that usually comes up now just shows lo or ath0, these work and i'm online but i can't choose anyother networks. Anyideas ?

Secondly, I have been using Kpowersave, everything working fine, it still runs on startup but there is no icon in the tray so I have no idea how much battery I have left.

Help on either would be great.

Adam

craggsy, Oct 7, 2008
  11. WanderingStar

N6546R

I also had trouble with ath5k after the 7 October set of updates. I'm still running the Petaramesh kernel...reinstalling it with --force-overwrite seemed to fix the problem.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 8, 2008
  12. WanderingStar

craggsy

Can someone check this for me

system > admin >synaptic Package Manager

Then tell me what version xserver-xorg-video-intel is, got a bug in 8.10, which wasn't there in 8.04 just checking this.

Cheers

Adam

craggsy, Oct 9, 2008
  13. WanderingStar

N6546R

2:2.4.1-1ubuntu6

8.10 beta, 8 October updates

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 9, 2008
  14. WanderingStar

craggsy

Cheers I sorted the bug was nothing to do with what I asked for lol

craggsy, Oct 9, 2008
  15. WanderingStar

Poldie

This guide works well generally, but I'm a bit bored of having to open up the network manager and enter the password (which I've already entered) to get online via my wireless router. There doesn't seem to be any way of it just using the current settings. The guide mentions using wifi radar but that doesn't make any difference - or maybe i'm not using it right. Hard to tell, as there's absolutely no documentation whatsoever about it's use. I'm a bit new to both wifi and Linux and am not sure what to enter in the various boxes.

Poldie, Oct 10, 2008
  16. WanderingStar

diogosousa

I think it's a keyring "bug". There's some way around this issue (so they say...): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=192281

I've tried the solution presented above but it still asks for the password.

diogosousa, Oct 11, 2008
  17. WanderingStar

teaker1s

having tried hardy and now running intrepid I have found that both suffer from excessive load cycling
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=805570
    This will fix the issue, but value 128 in script should be modified to 200.

interestingly fedora suffers the same issue and they decided on no head parking(not a great idea) and also "S 120"
    has anyone an view on using
    ac
    Code:
      /sbin/hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda -S120
    and
    batt
    Code:
      /sbin/hdparm -B 200 /dev/sda -S120
    as I know of no ill effects with the ac option, but what effect lowering parking value in relation to spin value i'm not so sure-temperature increase?

teaker1s, Oct 11, 2008
  18. WanderingStar

Poldie

I don't think that's it. It's not that I'm being asked for a password, just that I have to bother to go to the `network settings` and pointlessly re-enter my password to seemingly force Ubuntu to put my online.

Poldie, Oct 11, 2008
  19. WanderingStar

pyromanfo

Does anyone have some mirrors for the Petaramesh kernel? petaramesh.org isn't responding for me anymore.

pyromanfo, Oct 12, 2008
  20. WanderingStar

johnfante

I installed 8.10 with your excellent guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Aspir ... .10(Alpha6)%20on%20the%20Acer%20Aspire%20One

Everything went fine until it was time to upgrade the kernel. I can't seem to get to install/recognize the new 2.6.27 kernel.

By mistake I only wrote:

sudo apt-get linux-generic

and rebooted. I press esc to be able choose the new kernel.But ofcourse no new kernel.

Then I realize my mistake and write:

sudo apt-get install linux-generic

It download the new kernel and it looks like it installs it. I close the terminal when it writes done.

Then I reboot. I press esc to be able to choose the new kernel. But still no new kernel.

Now it has no effect when i write:

sudo apt-get install linux-generic

it just closes the terminal.

I have no ubuntu experience so all help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

johnfante, Oct 12, 2008
Ask a Question