Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

johnfante

The problem sorted it self out. :)

When I installed Frozen Bobble (with synaptic) it also installed the new kernel. Now it boots on the 2.6.27-7-generic an it works great.

There is only one thing that bothers me now (I think it i a Remix bug). When I scroll the different application windows in the middle (for instance for games, internet etc.) the ubuntu background (not the icons) flickers and turn black. Maybe it is supposed to do that but I don't think so.

Well off to install some nice things ...

johnfante, Oct 13, 2008
  2. WanderingStar

haraldj

Great effort ! =) i did it my own way and managed to install the bootloader on to the usb flash drive X times :p

haraldj, Oct 17, 2008
  3. WanderingStar

eks

You could try wicd. It's on the repositories. It's another network manager, but personally I find it much more full featured. You can find it on Synaptic or sudo apt-get install wicd. Beware it will uninstall the current network manager you have.

I'm using it on both the Aspire One (Intrepid Beta) and on another HP Laptop (Ubuntu Hardy). On my desktop I have the default network manager because the connection is wired. I do really strongly recommend it.

eks, Oct 19, 2008
  4. WanderingStar

eks

lm-sensors

Hellos,

I'm a bit weary of using the fan controlling scripts without an actual feedback of the CPU temperature. But I'm trying for a few days now to find a way to show them up without success. Which was also a reason to install Ubuntu on the AAO.

I'm using Xubuntu, but I've tried both xfce-sensors-plugin and the default Gnome sensors-applet packages without success.

Either way, both use lm-sensors. And to make them work it seems you should do sudo sensors-detect, which made this

http://pastebin.com/m6d648711

Anyone succeed on a CPU Temp monitor on Ubuntu?

eks, Oct 19, 2008
  5. WanderingStar

Guest Guest

That used to happen for me. It stopped happening in Intrepid not long ago... maybe see if the latest ume-launcher is installed.

Guest, Oct 21, 2008
  6. WanderingStar

johnfante

How do I check if the latest version of Remix is installed?

Secondly: I had to reinstall and everything when well until I had installed the new kernel 2.6.27. No my wireless network s not working. It used to connect automaticly but now it dosn't and only wired network autoconnect when it is connected.

When I checked the network manager the connection details was still there but the password was garbage I tried to enter the correct password and reboot to see if it would autoconnect but still no luck.

I have disabled the Atheros driver to make it use the ath5k but no succes so far.

Sorry if the above is obvious but I am very new to Ubuntu.

Thank you in advance.

btw. I totally agree with the posting in the bottom of the guide asking for a clean-up :)

johnfante, Oct 25, 2008
  7. WanderingStar

Poldie

Hopefully there'll be a separate page for 8.10, because it's impossible to follow those instructions for 8.10 as it stands.

Poldie, Oct 27, 2008
  8. WanderingStar

accord-se

just 2 days more and 8.10 will be available

accord-se, Oct 28, 2008
  9. WanderingStar

Guest Guest

I have updated the wiki here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

Basically, you don't need to create /var/log/apt in fstab. Just create /var/log. Then add some lines to rc.local to create the /var/log/apt directory (among others).

Guest, Oct 28, 2008
  10. WanderingStar

spaceholiday

I'm curious if you could explain to me where I should download the files to for making the fan quieter. It just says to download them and execute lines in their directory, but that's not very clear to me:
    Do they go in the root folder? usr? etc?

spaceholiday, Oct 28, 2008
  11. WanderingStar

spaceholiday

Anyone out there, or is this thread ignored now cuz it's a sticky? :p

spaceholiday, Oct 29, 2008
  12. WanderingStar

woofer00

put it in any folder you like, the cp command ensures that the files end up in the right place.
    Also, Intrepid Ibex just got released, so this thread might become less of the focus of the forum, although Hardy is still a solid LTS build.

woofer00, Oct 30, 2008
  13. WanderingStar

spinnekopje

I have a desktop that runs intrepid. I will wait upgrading my AA1 until the number of updates stays very low for more then a week. Also I really like the ctrl+alt+del behaviour of Hardy, so I first have to get it act the same way on Intrepid.
    (shutting down is now: ctrl+alt+del -> alt+u now (Dutch version))

spinnekopje, Nov 2, 2008
  14. WanderingStar

2manydjs

Hi,
    I haven't seen any mention about the following on this forum (I'm sorry if this was known before):

2manydjs, Nov 15, 2008
  15. WanderingStar

Guest Guest

Well! I have tried this with the Remix 1.01 and i kept on getting "cannot find /usr/bin" and other error messages.
    Here is what I had in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1 / ext2 defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

This has been an agonising try... I want to speed up the SSD by converting it to ext2.

Guest, Nov 19, 2008
  16. WanderingStar

Stevejberry

my wife really really likes the aao linpus defualt interface, and i'm trying really hard to keep it for her. i just wish fedora 8 yum update didnt change the entire os with it's updates. and one is forced to use only the linpus updater.

it's kinda like having two os's and i would rather just have seamlessness

does anyone think it's possible to run this frugal little desktop interface on the ubuntu system, and beable to keep the ubuntu updating method without destroying it.

Stevejberry, Nov 25, 2008
  17. WanderingStar

diogosousa

You should have a look at Ubuntu Netbook Remix Laucher. It's somewhat similar to the custum Linpus.

diogosousa, Nov 25, 2008
  18. WanderingStar

RockDoctor

You can run your AA1 with Ubuntu and update it with your favorite Ubuntu updater. This will work
    You can run your AA1 with Fedora and update it with your favorite Fedora updater. This will work
    If you update one distro using another's repositories, you're likely to break things.

RockDoctor, Nov 25, 2008
  19. WanderingStar

spinnekopje

Maybe try out the netbook remix launcher from usb-key, so you don't change your base system. It's not that difficult to find how to do so on this forum. Once your favorites are choosen it works almost the same. My girlfriend worked on my AA1 a couple of times and now she also has the netbook remix on her 15" laptop (on wich I don't like it that much as I do on the AA1).

spinnekopje, Nov 26, 2008
  20. WanderingStar

FinalSin

So, I've been having a hell of a lot of fun getting Ubuntu onto my AA1. Man. I've formatted this USB key so many times it's like a scene from Men in Black.

I've now got the practice down to a fine art - I don't even boot into the LiveCD any more and do all of that Sys > Admin > Install Live USB nonsense. Oh no. I just use netbootin on XP, grab that ISO, and ram it on the USB key. No. No, you folks here with your interesting problems, I'm not one of you.

My AA1 won't boot from the USB. ¬_¬

I've Googled. Man, have I Googled. As far as I can tell, no-one has this problem! I take it from unetbootin straight to the AA1, hit F12, why yes, I would like to boot from a USB CDROM, but all it does is show me a blinking cursor for a split second and then just go right on to the Linpus Showdown.

Can anyone help, or is this problem too stupid for words? Also, does this forum have a search function? Also, am I a moron?

EDIT - DING DING! Time's up, folks, and the answer was... I'm a moron! Turns out that USB key was dead on its feet, ghost partitions all over the shop. Just tried a fresh USB key and I'm now back on track to Ubuntu Towne, England. Huzzah!

FinalSin, Nov 28, 2008
Ask a Question