Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

DanH42

I would like to start by mentioning that I am a total Linux Newbie.

That said, I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (the latest version, downloaded off of ubuntu.com) on my AA1. Is there a way to upgrade it to Hardy Heron, or do I have to completely reinstall it?

DanH42, Dec 5, 2008
  2. WanderingStar

diogosousa

Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) is the latest version. Are you looking to downgrade to Hardy Heron (8.04) ??

diogosousa, Dec 5, 2008
  3. WanderingStar

RockDoctor

You can always upgrade to the latest Jaunty Jackalope alpha, but running an alpha-quality Linux distro is not something a newbie should be doing if (s)he expects things to just work.

RockDoctor, Dec 5, 2008
  4. WanderingStar

FinalSin

Is a lot of the wiki out of date now? It's just, neither of the two methods for fixing the wireless now work (one is a broken link, the other complains that a resource is unavailable when I wget). A few other things seem a bit broken too - the wireless LED fix no longer works, for instance (I think that's just a case of the most current kernel version changing, but I think the wiki claims that recent kernel versions have the problem fixed - mine doesn't?).

I'm going crazy trying to get Ubuntu running stable on my AA1. I don't know whether it's best to upgrade from Hardy to Ibex, whether it's best to overlay UNR on top of Hardy, whether to just use Hardy on its own, and I haven't been able to get the wireless working on it since my first attempt at installing Ubuntu over two months ago.

Really getting tired with the bastard now. Any pointers at all towards up to date solutions to the wireless problem? Or at the very least, alternative solutions to the wireless problem? WICD doesn't want to help either.

FinalSin, Dec 22, 2008
  5. WanderingStar

RockDoctor

It's best to choose a path and follow it, ignoring the distractions around you. Hardy vs. Intrepid? Pick one. I picked Intrepid and the Jaunty alpha. Wireless - I'm using sickboy's kernel (search the forum). It's a version of the 2.6.28 kernel that is customized for the AA1. It uses the ath5k driver, which means no working wireless LEDs. No UNR for me, I've got a fairly standard desktop layout that I like. WiCD seems to work ok for me. YMMV.

RockDoctor, Dec 22, 2008
  6. WanderingStar

OutOfReach

Hey guys, I'm new to this netbook fad that's going around (not new to Linux tho!)
    I have the Aspire One w/ the 1gb RAM and 120 GB HDD. I successfully installed Ubuntu and managed to get everything working (including wireless).

Anyways, time for the point. Can ANYONE post a (working) solution to the Load_Cycle_Count problem? I've tried various hdparm -B values but no avail.
    (128 being the lowest, 240 being highest). On AC the value 254 works fine, but on battery nothing appears to work.

Thank you!

OutOfReach, Dec 27, 2008
  7. WanderingStar

spinnekopje

It works fine here without any adjustment. With hdparm my AA1 feeled slower, so I removed it again.

spinnekopje, Dec 27, 2008
  8. WanderingStar

Nambleruk

Hi, I'm a total newbie when it comes to Linux. I installed, yesterday, Ubuntueee this runs stable on the aao. The only thing I have found to be not working is the WiFi light. Everything else seems fine. I managed to update it and install extra apps without problem.
    Ubuntueee is currently based on Unbuntu Hardy 8.04.1 I installed using unetbootin, not unetbootineee, via bootable usb pendrive. Ok it took me a while to sort but, that was due to me being unfamiliar with the software available to create the bootable disc.

Nambleruk, Dec 27, 2008
  9. WanderingStar

OutOfReach

Really? Well that is indeed odd, my Load_Cycle_Count number increases about 3/4 times everyminute, which is worrying me. If anyone has experienced this problem and solved it I would like to see your solution.

OutOfReach, Dec 27, 2008
  10. WanderingStar

OutOfReach

Does anyone else have a solution for the APM/Load_Cycle_Count problem? it's getting irritating.

OutOfReach, Dec 28, 2008
  11. WanderingStar

donec

What are the indications? I for one would not know if I had the problem or not.

donec, Dec 28, 2008
  12. WanderingStar

OutOfReach

OutOfReach, Dec 28, 2008
  13. WanderingStar

zinovsky

zinovsky, Jan 2, 2009
  14. WanderingStar

ajayre

I'm following the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne for Hardy. When I downloaded the latest madwifi sources it gave me revision r3917.

I've disabled the restricted drivers and ran modprobe, but I couldn't connect to my wireless network. The only option is manual configuration and it doesn't seem to work.

Next I installed wicd and it reports that no wireless networks are found.

Any ideas?

thanks, Andy

ajayre, Jan 16, 2009
  15. WanderingStar

ajayre

Duh... I needed to move the wifi kill switch. I didn't expect this because I haven't touched it and my previous installation of UNR had wifi working.

Anyway, I can confirm that Madwifi r3917 seems to work with Hardy 8.04.1.

I also changed the Gnome network manager for Wicd and I think it's much better.

Andy

ajayre, Jan 16, 2009
  16. WanderingStar

ajayre

Gah! I am at my wits end with the audio. With ALSA 1.0.15 the only model that worked was "model=acer". But when headphones are plugged in the speaker doesn't switch off.

Following the instructions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=962695 I installed ALSA 1.0.18. But still the only model that works was "model=acer" and I still have the same problem.

I've tried setting the model to basic, auto and acer-aspire. Does anyone have any more hints before I give up with Ubuntu?

Andy

ajayre, Jan 18, 2009
  17. WanderingStar

hardran3

Reinstall 8.10, use sickboys kernel, and set the model to acer-aspire. Works perfectly here :)

hardran3, Jan 25, 2009
  18. WanderingStar

ajayre

Thanks! In the end I reinstalled 8.04.1 from scratch, ran the ALSA upgrade script twice and now it works with model=acer-aspire.

Now if only I could figure out how to get audio working on my 8.10 desktop PC.........

Andy

ajayre, Jan 25, 2009
  19. WanderingStar

mr_abah

Re: Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide - wifi

Hi All,

I have got a weird problem. I have followed instructions for installation of wifi under the ubuntu forums using latest madwifi r3931. As a result, my home's wireless network is detected by my AA1 (8G SSD) with 98% signal strength, thus I presume I am already online, but no, somehow I just can't get onto the web. Tried using ndiswrapper and seems to be worse (no signal strength), so I have reverted to madwifi with the same result as above.

What am I doing wrong? Can anybody help? Thank you

mr_abah, Jan 26, 2009
  20. WanderingStar

ajayre

Re: Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide - wifi

Firstly did you click on the icon at the top then choose your network from the list shown? Mine has encryption so at that point I am prompted for my key...

If you did that open a terminal window (Accessories menu) then:

Code:
    sudo ifconfig
    to see how your interfaces are configured. Does everything work with an ethernet cable?

Andy

ajayre, Jan 26, 2009
Ask a Question