Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

zk2008

Kudos to all of you who have done such hard to work get everyone this far. If you guys are able to get the boot time down to the 20-30 second factory boot time... I'm in! :)

Actually, I'm in as soon as I can find a thumb drive big enough for me to create the bootable usb drive.

Zack,

zk2008, Jul 29, 2008
  2. WanderingStar

einarth

Is there a guide on how to remove the sound drivers installed with the procedure in the guide? I ended up with my wireless network not working some times when manipulating the sound, requering (I belive) the reinstallement of the wireless drivers (make install).

In addition the sparkling noise doe's not go away completely. By choosing to use a different sound device in the Gnome sound settings, the sparkling noise diapers from normal sound, but there is always a disturbing noise whenever I log in (just after typing the password).

Update: The latter problem was overcome by disabling ESD in the Gnome sound preference pane, but still non-Gnome software (like flash video players within web sites) generates the same nasty noise...

Does no one have a solution? Is there anybody that doesn't have this problem?

einarth, Jul 29, 2008
  3. WanderingStar

WanderingStar

mordo, it sounds like you may have just written the actual ISO file to the disc, and not copied its contents. In windows XP you could use something like Nero or CDBurnerXP (http://cdburnerxp.se/ ; free) to actually write the contents out.

Hope that helps,
    Jeff

WanderingStar, Jul 29, 2008
  4. WanderingStar

picasso

Hi,

thank you for the installation Guide. The most things work fine, but maybe you can help with a few problems.
    - The One does not wake up from hibernation, sleep works?!
    - I got bluetooth functioning with a mobile (3G internet access). It only works when i manually bind the modem rfcomm, it does not funktion in the bluetooth conf (i used autobind=yes)?!
    - The feature of linpus that the cardreader is integrated in the filesystem is not supported by ubuntu, is it?
    Thank you....

picasso, Jul 29, 2008
  5. WanderingStar

WanderingStar

Hi Picasso,

Hibernation is not tested by me. I don't like the idea of writing 1.5GBs of ram out to my SSD. What happens when you try to hibernate? Is there an error? How big is your swap partion and how much ram do you have.

That sounds more like a general Ubuntu question. My experience with Linux bluetooth is that if it works at all you are doing well. If no one has the answer here I would suggest trying the Ubuntu forum.

Correct, the storage expansion feature is not working.

Jeff

6. WanderingStar

picasso

Thank you Jeff. First, there was an error that the swap partition is not big enough. After an update there were error messages with shutting down video drivers (ucpvideo).
    Can i use the sleep modus and put the One in his box? Or could there be a heat problem? Do you know if closing the One can be used as sleep mode (like in Linpus)? Thank you again....

picasso, Jul 29, 2008
  7. WanderingStar

WanderingStar

Yes, I sleep my One all the time. In fact I rarely shut it down. I have not noticed any real heat generation while its sleeping. Since you have less swap than RAM you will not be able to hibernate it.

Jeff

8. WanderingStar

casainho

Is there any custom kernel and modules available for AA1? I saw that there is for Asus eee pc - would be nice to have the same for aa1 - unfortunately I never done this kind of work, I am not experienced in build kernel and modules.

casainho, Jul 29, 2008
  9. WanderingStar

2manydjs

2manydjs, Jul 29, 2008
  10. WanderingStar

casainho

Yes, you have found good resources :)

I don't have much free time now - but we can work together :) -- I think that first we should make a list of modules (drivers) that are used on aa1, so they should be selected on build time of kernel.

I got mine aa1 a few hours ago so I don't what hardware-drivers are used.

Maybe a good way is to find a HOWTO build kernel on Ubuntu -- and I think this build should be made on a quicker PC(I am not sure that is possible???), take advantage on that.

casainho, Jul 29, 2008
  11. WanderingStar

BrandonMB

Has anyone found a fix to the dissapearance of the SD memory cards on waking up from sleep? I have a 16GB SD card which holds all of my documents and what not, so having access to these is critical for the actual use of the Aspire... though I have more fun hacking it than working on it! If anyone can shed some light on if there has been a fix found for this, it would be greatly appreciated.

BrandonMB, Jul 29, 2008
  12. WanderingStar

Thomas8675309

There are a couple of other threads on the Ubuntu hibernation issue here and here - they may be related.

Cheers.

Thomas8675309, Jul 29, 2008
  13. WanderingStar

WanderingStar

Hey BrandonMB,

Thats odd, I don't see that behavior in my left hand slot. My 2GB SD card comes back after resume. Are you using the right hand slot? If so could you post a suspend resume tail of your syslog - I'm curious.

(tail -f /var/log/syslog >> log.txt)

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,
    Jeff

14. WanderingStar

BrandonMB

Odd.. never mind, it is working now. For the last couple of days it had stopped, but now seems to be functioning fine? Will keep an eye on it and let you know.

BrandonMB, Jul 29, 2008
  15. WanderingStar

BrandonMB

Ok, now they are gone again after suspend.. battery is about dead, but will post results tonight.

BrandonMB, Jul 29, 2008
  16. WanderingStar

bove

After recompiling ALSA as in the external ubuntu help document now linked in the first post, my one gives a lot of noise and hissing when sound is active (playing file). I've tried all gain settings several times, but it does not seem to make any difference. It sounds more like a Sample Rate/Bit depth problem. The only sound that sounds good both in the speakers and in headphones, is system beep.

bove, Jul 29, 2008
  17. WanderingStar

2manydjs

I don't think I'l have any time the next weeks to look at it, maybe next month. The link I gave is a how-to. I still think the .config from array.org is the best starting point, as they have managed to create a 20 sec booting kernel. Just have to change the drivers for audio, wifi, video (?) and ethernet to resemble Aspire One's hardware instead of eeePC 901's.

2manydjs, Jul 30, 2008
  18. WanderingStar

einarth

It seems many have the hissing noise problem with the new ALSA-drivers from the guide. Is there really no one that has been able to get the audio drivers working and would be willing to post some information about it?

einarth, Jul 30, 2008
  19. WanderingStar

jesada

Thanks for all of the hard work, everyone.
    Which program are you using to access the webcam?
    I've installed Camorama but it isn't accessing it.

jesada, Jul 30, 2008
  20. WanderingStar

Guest Guest

Try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install luvcview 
     luvcview -f yuv 

Guest, Jul 30, 2008
Ask a Question