Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

larsll

I had no issue getting the camera working in Skype. No changes to options or similar required.

larsll, Jul 30, 2008
  2. WanderingStar

jesada

Thanks Andry...those settings helped me fix it...for some reason the alpha and brightness were so high I couldn't see myself.

jesada, Jul 30, 2008
  3. WanderingStar

Guest Guest

Well, I had a noise when done everything like https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne says. I was able to overcome it this way:
    add following string in the end of your /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and reboot
    Code:
    blacklist snd_pcsp

The problem here is that installation enables pc speaker which makes so much noise and also sets it as a default sound output. By doing this you will tell Linux not to load pc speaker's driver and hda intel driver will be the only one on your system. Everythig should work fine after.

Guest, Jul 30, 2008
  4. WanderingStar

larsll

What should be added to the guide is the installation of the Microsoft Fonts.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
    Out of the box I found font sizes and the display of web pages to be very unstable. On one page the fonts would be too big, on another waay to small, and in general poor character spacing made the pages look crap. If one sets Firefox fonts to Arial, Times New Roman and Courier New one gets a clean good browsing experience.

I am sure OpenOffice also benefts from the presence of the fonts primarily used in any document produced by a Microsoft based computer.

larsll, Jul 30, 2008
  5. WanderingStar

poningru

ok guys I have a dkms deb built for the wifi with the latest ath_hal (0.10.5.6) but I cant upload it on here because the deb extension is not allowed/files are too big... so someone change that or I can upload it to my servers but I'd rather not take the hit as this is a home account.
    Also working on a Ubuntu install that will not require another computer or another media.
    -Eldo

poningru, Jul 30, 2008
  6. WanderingStar

DonQuichote

DonQuichote, Jul 30, 2008
  7. WanderingStar

DonQuichote

Cheese has no trouble using it either.

DonQuichote, Jul 30, 2008
  8. WanderingStar

2manydjs

Great find! Thanks.

2manydjs, Jul 30, 2008
  9. WanderingStar

miester

ok newbe here with a ?.
    need directions to install using ext2.( ie) boot from usb. hit f12 . use manual install? then from there i am lost. got to boot partition table and i choose ext2 for the ssd , then i get a window saying no root drive installed.
    a little side note. I already have ubuntu installed , with all the updates including wifi. however i am a confused on how to change to ext2. you say you are booting from the usb(correct me if I am wrong). then what, do I hit f12 . and what option do I choose?

miester, Jul 30, 2008
  10. WanderingStar

jebulis

jebulis, Jul 31, 2008
  11. WanderingStar

einarth

andrey found and posted the solution to the sound problem a few posts above.

The key is to edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and add a line stating "blacklist snd_pcsp". Reboot, and the noise is gone!

einarth, Jul 31, 2008
  12. WanderingStar

poningru

Rapid share it is:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/133811068/m ... l.deb.html
    just install this file after getting ubuntu up and running, it should work with 2.6.24-19 kernel. Let me know if you guys run into any issues.
    (After install dpkg does throw an error not sure what thats about, but it works... looking into it right now. I have never packaged a dkms before let me know if you guys have any suggestions.)
    The source etc.:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/133811291/m ... 6.dsc.html
    http://rapidshare.com/files/133811392/m ... ar.gz.html

Working on an ubuntu install with nothing but a wired internet connection requirement.

poningru, Jul 31, 2008
  13. WanderingStar

casainho

Poningru, sorry for my lack of knowledge, but, what that file "give" to us? can you please give a brief description?

I want to help, I would like to have all drivers for my aa1 working perfectly :)

I have another hardware without working -- the fan that is always enable, looks like ACPI fan driver is not working. Also my mousepad give me problems when I move windows...

2manydjs, the poningru is build something, we should help him and test :) -- I will help as possible.

casainho, Jul 31, 2008
  14. WanderingStar

binnary

Hello everyone!

I have tried the VGA output but with any result. Has anyone configured correctly de VGA output of de AA1?

Thanks a lot for the guide! ;)

binnary, Jul 31, 2008
  15. WanderingStar

witvis

Hi everyone!

I loved reading the guide and am delighted to have a working Ubuntu on my AA1.
    The only thing I have not done till now is the sound.
    There was a lot going on, but also many maybe and if's.....

Now things have gone more or less silent on this subject it seems like there is a stable solution.
    However checking the Help Ubuntu Forum, where the results are published in a single document, it seems like not everything is there yet? In particular I remember that things needed to be replaced from one folder to another. Don't see that in the document.

Rather than going through all of the 16 pages of this thread, would it not be possible if some of the people who worked towards a solution write up a how-to of how to deal with the sound issues?

Thanks for all of your great work and hoping I will be able to participate in the future.....

Peter

witvis, Jul 31, 2008
  16. WanderingStar

casainho

Wireless button

When I change the wireless button, I get on "dmesg" command:
    Code:
    [  429.068714] atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xd5 on isa0060/serio0).
    [  429.068729] atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e055 <keycode>' to make it known.
    And I can see that something about wireless exist and me be turned on and off:
    Code:
    cat /proc/acpi/acer/wireless
    We can try the example on Asus eee pc:
    http://wiki.eeeuser.com/getting_ubuntu_ ... fi_hotkeys
    http://wiki.eeeuser.com/getting_ubuntu_ ... ly#hotkeys

casainho, Jul 31, 2008
  17. WanderingStar

binnary

HI!

Working with SD Cards I have noticed that the "Storage Expansion" works like a SD Card reader... but has somebody make it work as an Storage Expansion of the SDD Drive? And has somebody any clue about why the Card Reader doesn't work if you don't boot with a card inserted?

UPDATE: It seems that the "Storage Expansion" does not recognice the SDHC (6) cards... I've tried with a SanDisk 4GB Extreme III and it does not read the card.

Thanks!
    binnary

binnary, Aug 1, 2008
  18. WanderingStar

turbomoonie

i don know what it is but my usb stick is not recognized from the live cd when i try to make a live usb...its a "Dan Elec"...its 4gb..i dont understand why it doesnt work i might ty and get a new and see its just the brand or something...any help would be awesome...thanx

turbomoonie, Aug 1, 2008
  19. WanderingStar

turbomoonie

i think it was the brand...i just bought a sandisk cruzer 2gb memory stick and it recognized it..to anyone who cares becareful of the brand of stick u buy...sandisk works...i dunno about the other ones but snadisk is officially confirmed...

turbomoonie, Aug 1, 2008
  20. WanderingStar

2manydjs

That sounds great!
    How can we help? It should be able to use GRUB to switch between the kernels, right? I'll see if I have some time this weekend.

What kind of boot times are achieved with the kernel??

2manydjs, Aug 1, 2008
Ask a Question