Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

poningru

DOH this is just the wifi drivers packaged into a nice neat deb I was wondering if someone who has just installed Ubuntu can test it out.
    But I do need help with making couple of decisions on what to include for the aspire ubuntu here is what I have so far:
    1. Fstab fix re: automount (removal of the cdrom from fstab)[/*:m:1yicdf2e]
    2. Wifi drivers[/*:m:1yicdf2e]
    3. addition of PPA of Netbook remix from launchpad (hooray njpatel)[list:1yicdf2e]
    4. Installation of all the netbook packages[/*:m:1yicdf2e]
    [/*:m:1yicdf2e]
    [*]SSD changovers from http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9190
    • Use the “noop” I/O scheduler.[/*:m:1yicdf2e]
    • Change the file system mount options on SSDs to “noatime”. [/*:m:1yicdf2e]
    • for the last one I think I am going to leave it as ext3, since this can cause data integrity issues.[/*:m:1yicdf2e]
    [/*:m:1yicdf2e]
    [*]Audio
    • Now this is what I need help with, I dont know what needs to be done under here to fix ALL the issues that have shown up. If whoever figured out the audio fix can pm me or reply to this... that would be awesome.[/*:m:1yicdf2e]
    [/*:m:1yicdf2e][/list:eek::1yicdf2e]

poningru, Aug 1, 2008
  2. WanderingStar

casainho

I would like to help but I don't have wireless networking on my house.

I want that :)

I do not want to use it, but I think is good idea!! Just provide a option to install it or not.

Must do that!! It's very important to have a rapid, optimized system to take advantage of this new technologies.

Look, did you thought in creating a code.google.com page, to host the files?

casainho, Aug 1, 2008
  3. WanderingStar

poningru

I think I will provide two installers one with netbook and one simple ubuntu.
    I think I'll just host it on launchpad, I'd rather not put it on google's code page.
    -Eldo

poningru, Aug 1, 2008
  4. WanderingStar

casainho

About fan: a lot of people are talking about noise fan... I think is not controllable by software... do you know if there is some drivers missing? and what about cpu freq scaling?

casainho, Aug 1, 2008
  5. WanderingStar

poningru

I do believe the cpu freq is available through the proc, but not sure if it is software controllable (the module that controls most of the intel speedstep stuff is called p4_clockmod, not sure if it can support the atom, though I dont see any reason why it shouldnt) havent experimented with this stuff yet, I am in the middle of moving so I it will take me forever to finish this stuff (probably next week).
    -Eldo

poningru, Aug 1, 2008
  6. WanderingStar

Aubrey

Code:
     sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils
    sudo modprobe acpi_cpufreq cpufreq_conservative freq_table

Gets the Atom operating at 1.60 GHz, 1.33 GHz, 1.07 GHz or 800 MHz depending on load.

After modprobing, you can check the settings with:

Code:
    # cpufreq-info

Aubrey, Aug 1, 2008
  7. WanderingStar

casainho

Okok - I got cpu freq scaling working :) -- I also followed a guide for eee pc.

What about noise fan? directory /proc/acpi/fan/ is empty... does it means that fan is not controllable?

casainho, Aug 2, 2008
  8. WanderingStar

0xd020

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 on my Acer One. Because I like my data to be encrypted, I used the alternate install with an LVM encrypted volume. Although a little sluggish, It runs fine. I would like to convert the EXT3 partitions to ETX2. Anyone have experience with that, using LVM encrypted volumes?

The other thing is that I had to manually edit /etc/network/interfaces to make the system use the madwifi drivers. There was no way to do this in the GUI networking utillity of Ubuntu. Is this a typical Ubuntu thing?

Anyway, things run pretty good on my AA1, except from *both* the SD card readers.

0xd020, Aug 2, 2008
  9. WanderingStar

fuzz

Thanks to everyone who's posted all these tips, I'd never have worked it out without you :)

The main problem I had I eventually tracked down to the internal SSD. I was getting lots of freezes in Lipus, so I decided to install ubuntu, and every time I tried I'd quickly run into really odd errors, usually culminating in all the text on screen changing to boxes, and lots and lots of I/O errors on shutdown.
    After I re-opened my One up (first thing I did was install more RAM), and double checking the SSD cable everything seems to be working properly :) So, if you're getting odd errors and lots of problems with harddrive corruption, check the internal cabling is all properly seated.

When installing, I chose manual partitioning, and set the internal SSD as EXT2 and to mount as /, and an addon card in the storage slot, also as EXT2 and mounted it as /home. I'm hoping this will give me space to store music and films on the SD card, while leaving the SSD for the OS.

(while trying to create a recovery USB from the Acer DVD I managed to wipe one of the harddrives in my desktop, IDIOT!)

fuzz, Aug 3, 2008
  10. WanderingStar

2manydjs

http://petaramesh.org/post/2008/07/16/I ... Aspire-One
    Quick and dirty translation.

2manydjs, Aug 4, 2008
  11. WanderingStar

2manydjs

2manydjs, Aug 4, 2008
  12. WanderingStar

fw1962

Link this article - Thanks for the Information :)

fw1962, Aug 4, 2008
  13. WanderingStar

binnary

binnary, Aug 4, 2008
  14. WanderingStar

0xd020

Because I had some problems using the standard Ubuntu network manager, I found an excelent alternative for this: the Wicd networking manager. This one manages your /etc/network/interfaces file like a charm.

Check it out at: http://wicd.sourceforge.net

0xd020, Aug 4, 2008
  15. WanderingStar

einarth

Any idea how to mount the SD-card in fstab? (I got it to work after resume following the previous detailed post).

einarth, Aug 4, 2008
  16. WanderingStar

fuzz

in the above guide to modifying initramfs

should be changed in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf, NOT /etc/initramfs-tools/modules.

Another little speed up I found, turning off all of the visual effects (System>Preferences>Appearance), helped make everything a bit more snappy.

fuzz, Aug 4, 2008
  17. WanderingStar

Donat

Found this link one blogeee.net (french blog), it's supposedly the "official" linux drivers for the aspire one (as well as xp ones and user manual).
    Thought I'd share in case people didn't already know, although that's pretty unlikely.
    http://www.humyo.com/240597-160432785 [EDIT] it's actually someone from this forum who uploaded all this... old news then I guess :( oh well

I'm considering buying the aspire one, and ubuntu seems a pretty good option especially with the netbook remix. So I'm quite interested in seeing it all work.
    A couple of quick questions though:
    Canonical seems to say that the netbook remix won't be redistributable, or is that just when it's been oem'd for a specific machine by a company? Does it affect people like us/me?
    Can you stll use normal ubuntu interface, or is it completely replaced? I'd like, say, for this to be some kind of thing you launch from normal ubuntu, or that I can turn off if I want.

Thanks for all the efforts putting together an installer. Once I'm all One'd up, I'll be happy to try stuff out and help develop before I make it a work tool and require stability.

Donat

Donat, Aug 5, 2008
  18. WanderingStar

dandesigns

netbook can be removed to get back to original ubuntu.

dandesigns, Aug 5, 2008
  19. WanderingStar

Donat

That sounds rather permanent, so I'm guessing it's not something you can just launch and quit at will?

Donat, Aug 5, 2008
  20. WanderingStar

0xd020

I installed the netbook remix packages on my Asus, but found it to be too unstable. My desktop was a mess, because the original desktop menu's were still in the background sometimes. I have to say I would like these packages if they are stable. The Remix desktop looked very nice! Untill then, I will stay with just the standard Gnome desktop.

0xd020, Aug 5, 2008
Ask a Question