Install VLC player from basic mode...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rjm, Aug 25, 2008.

1. rjm

Prim

ok, so I think ive tried everyguide there is to install vlc but it wont work...
    first it looks good but then it says:

Error: Missing Dependency libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc
    Error: Missing Dependency libebml.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libvga.so.1 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libxosd.so.2 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc
    Error: Missing Dependency libmp4v2.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package faac
    Error: Missing Dependency dejavu-fonts libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc
    Error: Missing Dependency libdirac-encoder.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libcddb.so.2 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libmatroska.so.o libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libdirectfb-1.0.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libmodplug.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libvgagl.so.1 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency libdirac_decoder.so.0 libtar.so.1 is needed by package vlc-core

Ive tried everything that´s written on this page (i think)... Have a AAO 512mb 120gb if that matters...

thanks for the helpl

Prim, Sep 16, 2008
  2. rjm

rjm

For the people having dependency issues:

Did you uninstall the mplayer software first? You have to, otherwise you can't install VLC. (I updated the original post to include this initial step.)

I would not update with the Fedora packages, as this is likely to mess up the Acer customized software like Firefox, Onemail etc. You should only use liveupdate for software updates.

rjm, Sep 17, 2008
  3. rjm

markscoggins

Superb simple fix. Thanks very much. Spent 6 hours last night looking for tips on how to fix these missing dependencies, numerous suggested and complicated solutions none of which worked. Five reboots and a frayed temper!

markscoggins, Sep 17, 2008
  4. rjm

a1m1

uninstalled mplayer, but still getting:
    Code:
    Error: Missing Dependency: libpulse.so.0(PULSE_0) is needed by package vlc
    Error: Missing Dependency: libopendaap.so.0 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency: libdvdnav.so.4 is needed by package vlc-core

EDIT:

when I try to reinstall mplayer I get
    Code:
    Error: Missing Dependency: libpulse.so.0(PULSE_0) is needed by package mplayer
    Error: Missing Dependency: libdvdnavmini.so.4 is needed by package mplayer

a1m1, Sep 17, 2008
  5. rjm

Praxis

Track down and install the missing programs at a site like rpm.pbone or rpmfind.

For me I believe these were the three missing RPMs:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=26 ... 8.i386.rpm
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=26 ... 8.i386.rpm
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... 6.rpm.html

If you have them downloaded in the same directory you can install them with the command from a terminal:

sudo rpm -Uvh *.rpm

Then try to install vlc with pirut (Package Manager) or the command:

sudo yum install vlc

I've had more dependency hell with a few days of Linpus than a few years of Debian. Ah well.

Praxis, Sep 17, 2008
  6. rjm

rjm

The Acer Linpus LIte is an embedded system. Installing software equates to hacking the system, so it will be neither easy nor risk free. My advice is to keep the number of apps you install by yourself to the absolute bare minimum.

If you screw up, the quickest solution is usually to wipe the disc and start over.

Get rid of the media-related programs before you do anything else,

Code:
    sudo yum remove pdvdlinux pcmlinux mplayer\*
    and then install VLC.

With a little more Linux skill it should be possible knit the system back together without doing a system restore, by downloading and installing the missing packages. It doesn't always work perfectly though, since even if the application now works its possible that something else elsewhere now doesnt.

rjm, Sep 18, 2008
  7. rjm

hx1

Thanks for your replies guys got mine sorted! works like a charm!

hx1, Sep 18, 2008
  8. rjm

a1m1

Thanks for all the help.
    I agree with hx1, I had forgotten to mention that I'm working on a recently restored A1. I think my problems relate to conflict with other (necessary for me) programs that I installed. I wish that there was a script to install things like VLC, the script mentioned in http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1256 promises, but it was also the reason for my "wipe and start over" approach ;)

a1m1, Sep 18, 2008
  9. rjm

Darryl

Darryl, Sep 18, 2008
  10. rjm

rjm

Nice tip. Jorge is da man! He also seems to be one of the very few people who can properly enable the xfce desktop.

rjm, Sep 19, 2008
  11. rjm

radtek

I ran into the three dependency problem too. I followed Praxis' suggestion and downloaded the .rpm files. Another dependency problem when I entered
    Code:
    sudo rpm -Uvh *.rpm
    Said I needed libdvdread.so3... so a search turned up:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/5314962/com/libdvdread-0.9.7-3.fc8.i386.rpm.html

Code:
    sudo rpm -Uvh *.rpm
    worked!

yum'd vlc and all the rest of the editing. Reboot and I'm listening to somafm's groove salad. The sound is quite satisfactory.

The now useless mediamaster and photomaster icons remained. I removed them by erasing the lines in the /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml:

Code:
    <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/pcmmvp.desktop</app> 
             <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/pcmphoto.desktop</app>
    I then replaced the '6' with a '2' to move the vlc icon up to the top of the gui's list.

I'd like to move the vlc icon over two more spaces... I'll try a '1' next... I did that and moved the line up to where I had deleted the old comments. Voila! The icon is where I want it.

I've always been partial to vlc over mplayer or xine. They've never worked right for me. Amarok would be my second choice.

Thanks guys! Even though the syntax and file system is slightly different it is like pulling on an old pair of one's favorite Levi's!

radtek, Sep 20, 2008
  12. rjm

acering

acering, Sep 20, 2008
  13. rjm

Darryl

you can drag and drop icons into position on the desktop without editing the config file
    :lol:

Darryl, Sep 20, 2008
  14. rjm

radtek

I tried that, but it didn't work. I went to what I know.

BTW, in retrospect I should have read down to the bottom of:

http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/08/06/acer-aspire-one-tips-and-tricks/

for better instructions for vlc installation. Even though I haven't tried it I suggest going that route first.

I may have temporarily damaged the updater by manually installing those .rpm's. Everything runs fine otherwise.

radtek, Sep 21, 2008
  15. rjm

Darryl

Be aware, sometimes live update just doesn't work due to probs at their end not yours. I have this on good authority. Somebody did drop me a post on the Acer Guy website explaining this along with a link to the relevant site but i lost it after recovery! As for the icons you have to click the back arrow to be in the relevant section (ie connect or fun) then click and drag the icons into the box that holds the main 3 on the desktop.

Darryl, Sep 21, 2008
  16. rjm

judell1

Hi,

I've installed VLC and everything appears to be ok. However when I play any video file I only get audio and no picture, the viewing screen doesn't even open and I'm left with just a thin menu bar. Does anyone know how to correct this? Thanks.

judell1, Nov 15, 2008
  17. rjm

philw

Ok, new AA1, I followed the instructions at the top, but I get the following at the "yum" command:
    "No package vlc available"
    "Nothing to do"

Indeed. I did all the stuff, removed the other players, and typed the "rpm" line... any idea where my "vlc" may be, because this yum thing can't find it...

philw, Nov 15, 2008
  18. rjm

Grim Squeaker

That is because the contents of the Livna repository have been moved to RPM Fusion. Acer Linpus is however unable to handle this without some help.

Read: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6749 for more information and how to make Linpus know what to do.

Grim Squeaker, Nov 16, 2008
  19. rjm

philw

Thanks... that sounds like it should fix it.

philw, Nov 16, 2008
  20. rjm

SLB

I am totally and utterly amazed - for the first time I managed to follow and complete one of these guides with no problems whatsoever - thanks! Any tips for good websites to download movies from - particularly for children?

SLB, Nov 30, 2008
Ask a Question