Installed but no icon

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rayd, Jul 8, 2009.

1. rayd

rayd

I really have searched the forums for the answer to this but ...

Completely new to the AAO and Linux, I downloaded and have tried to install an email client called Gemini - the Fedora 8 version - which comes as an RPM

The instructions said:( sudo rpm -Uvh filename ) which I did, but nothing happened.

So, I went to the Download folder and clicked on the intellegit-gemini-2.29m-fc8.i386.rpm file and it seems to have installed.

BUT - there is no icon for it in any of the tabs and it isn't listed in the right click menu (I have enabled that).

I can run it by typing 'gemini' in Alt-F2

How can I get the icon and menu entry to appear? Is there a config file somewhere which I can manually alter?

Where should the various files for Gemini be on the disc drive?

So many questions I know but it's really frustrating not knowing how to simply install software under Linpus. There must be a simple guide on installing software on this forum, but hours of searching hasn't revealed it yet.

Many thanks for any help.

Ray D

rayd, Jul 8, 2009
  2. rayd

daldred

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5105

daldred, Jul 8, 2009
  3. rayd

rayd

Thanks - I've managed to get Gemini installed but there's no icon on the desktop and no entry in the Advanced menu.

How do I add it to the desktop and menu manually? At the moment I have to open the Run window and type 'Gemini'.

As a matter of interest, how many application icons can there be in a quadrant of the desktop?

Cheers,

Ray D

rayd, Jul 9, 2009
  4. rayd

larkim

In part, viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11147&start=10 may help (see my post).

I'm something of a newbie myself, but as I understand it, a .desktop file is a small text file which contains, amongst other things, the command to start the program, the program's name and a link to the icon to be used for the program.

To get items to appear on the standard Linpus desktop, you need to edit a file called group-app.xml. In here, you will add a line which refers to the appropriate .desktop file, and then when you reboot the icon will be there.

The link I've given above shows how you can find where / if a .desktop file exists for the gemini app. You can omit the "> /home/user/Documents/desktop.txt" section if you are happy just for the command to return a listing to the screen (the > bit writes the output of the command to a text file so you can review it later).

If a .desktop file exists, then you can add its path to the group-app.xml file.

I think you can add 3 icons to each visible box in the quadrant, and if you click on the small arrows at the side you can view those 3 plus another 9 more. But if you manage to add more than 12 to a box, then that just creates another arrow to another screen with space for 12 icons.

ALso note you can drag around the order of the icons, so if there's an app that is in position 6 but you want to view it on the main desktop, just drag and drop!

HTH!

Matt

larkim, Jul 9, 2009
  5. rayd

graemev

The above post left me rather confused. Then I found http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05 ... page3.html.

I a realise the file in question is:

/home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml

not group-apps.xml!! :(

Any I did that and it work great .... now if NFS were working I could cut&past the final file here.

but re-typing by hand (what out for typos)

<app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop</app>

graemev, Jul 11, 2009
  6. rayd

larkim

Apologies for any typos (though I've re-read through my post and can't see group-apps.xml mentioned - perhaps a mod has edited it?)

Matt

larkim, Jul 13, 2009
  7. rayd

graemev

And indeed you're right, the 's' seems to only exist in my mind
    (I was sure this was covered here http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html)
    ...but from memory :

"The kind of spelling error or typographical mistake , which occurs AFTER a document
    has been posted (we are talking paper documents here) which by a little understood
    process is able to propagate backwards and appear in the carbon copy taken before
    the document was sent"

...sorry to besmirched your (otherwise) good name.

graemev, Jul 22, 2009
  8. rayd

larkim

:lol:

Though having re-read the post, I understand your confusion!!

Matt

larkim, Jul 22, 2009
Ask a Question