Installed French by mistake

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by RCDubuc, Mar 26, 2009.

1. RCDubuc

RCDubuc

I installed the French version of XP by mistake. When I try to reconfigure via the Control Panel, it doesn't work. (My French isn't probably good enough to understand what needs to be done). How do I reinstall Windows XP from the beginning? Thnx.

RCDubuc, Mar 26, 2009
  2. RCDubuc

garrettp

enable D2D in BIOS and then boot into windows

Go to "Programs" and then "Acer Empowering Technology" and then the "eRecovery Manager" That shouldn't be too hard to figure out in French.

Otherwise go to your C: drive and then Acer folder then Empowering Tech folder and then erecovery then eRAgent.exe

Hope that helps

garrettp, Mar 27, 2009
  3. RCDubuc

gigieu

I'm in the exact same situation as RCDubuc and I was wondering if anyone could help.

I installed the French version of XP by accident, and tried changing the settings with "Regional and Language Options" in XP, but that didn't work. I also used the eRecovery Manager to restore the netbook back to its factory default image, but when XP finally booted up, everything was still in French instead of English.

Does anyone know of a way to restore the netbook back to its English factory default image?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

gigieu, Apr 17, 2009
  4. RCDubuc

garrettp

you could always take a French class :D

So what you are saying is you tried THIS

And even doing the Acer eRecovery you are still not in English?Come to this of it, does it even give you the option in eRecovery to chose language?

Are you familiar with REGEDIT? If not, you can really screw things up in REGEDIT.

but, try this

or do a google search for regedit xp language change

garrettp, Apr 17, 2009
  5. RCDubuc

gigieu

Hey garrettp ,

Yeah, I tried changing the settings within "Regional and Language Options" and had no luck. Then I tried using the Acer eRecovery Manager in hopes of restoring the netbook back to its factory default image, but when Windows booted up, everything was still in French. I thought the eRecovery Manager would somehow give me the chance to choose the correct language setting again, but that never happened. It seems like it "remembered" my mistake! :?

I'm familiar with REGEDIT, but I'd prefer not to tinker with the registry for now because I've only had the netbook for two days, and I can't believe that I already messed it up. The store that I bought it from wants $100 USD to re-install the English version of Windows XP, and that's just crazy.

So I'm guessing that there's no other way to solve this problem without messing with the registry?

Thanks for the suggestions.

gigieu, Apr 17, 2009
  6. RCDubuc

garrettp

you've only had it for 2 days and they want to charge you $100 :evil: I would post the name of tat store so ppl can avoid them, that is a rip off.

I wouldn't worry too much about screwing up the registry if you are even only somewhat familiar with it.

Try the reg hack and then post back. I could send you an image of my AA1 on an external hard disk and send it to you if that is the case. I ordered a new SSD drive to replace my 160gb drive and I could either send you what I have now, which is a basically clean install with vital programs since I don't do anything that causes virus's ;) Although, I do not know what Windoze would think of that :(

Lemme know. I think jackulo would know about the Windoze thing better.

garrettp, Apr 17, 2009
  7. RCDubuc

jackluo923

It's 100% normal when you select French verison of windows xp, you cannot go back to the English version from the hdd image on the hdd's hidden partition. This is how multilanguage windows OS work.

Anyways, here's your easiest solution:
    1) Download a set of official acer aspire one recovery disks from this torrent site
    http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1690932/1550444/
    if you dont have an account, register with this invitation code
    qyxb0iuo4v5p78tv0woeasevrj2xpck8r
    or request acer for one and they should mail it to you free of charge ( i think, don't mention you screwed up the language setting though, just say you need acer to send you a set of recovery disk because you can't create one on your laptop like other laptops can)
    2) Restore from the dvds

There are a lot of other ways to do it, but the one stated above is probably the easiest and you can't screw it up.

jackluo923, Apr 17, 2009
  8. RCDubuc

garrettp

And order an IDE-USB adapter from newegg.com for $10 :)

[​IMG]

garrettp, Apr 17, 2009
  9. RCDubuc

gigieu

Hey garrettp and jackluo,

Thanks for all the help. I'll give the suggested solution(s) a try and hope that one of them will work for me. I never imagined a simple mistake such as this would be so difficult to correct afterwards, but now I know better. :roll:

Yeah, Best Buy wants to charge me $100 for a re-installation of Windows XP in English, and I thought that was outrageous considering the cost of an Aspire One to begin with. I would rather spend the money towards buying a new Aspire One instead of spending it on a re-installation. I even emailed Acer support about my issue a few days ago, but they haven't had the time to get back to me, which isn't surprising.

Once again, I just want to thank you both for all your help. You two have gone above and beyond anything I was hoping for, and I really appreciate it. :)

Thanks.

gigieu, Apr 18, 2009
  10. RCDubuc

lamw001

I've made the same mistake too on my son's Aspire One D150-1516. I just got it yesterday and installed the French by mistake. It doesn't come with media drives. How can I perform the recovery?

Thanks in advance,

lamw001, May 5, 2009
  11. RCDubuc

trendmonster

I did the same thing as well. I guess we are all stupid.

I have an external DVD drive if that helps, can anyone point me to the recovery files? I'm using an Aspire One D150.

trendmonster, May 22, 2009
Ask a Question