Installing Calgoo on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by zero9046, Sep 3, 2008.

1. zero9046

zero9046

I am new to linux, but I wasn't quiet sure if I should put my software related question in the beginner's section or this software section.

I have already installed Skype and Firefox 3 on my One, but there is so much info even just on this sight on how to do that, I really didn't learn much.

I am trying to install Calgoo on this netbook, but I am stumped. When I download the program from softpedia, it downloads, then prompts me to extract, which I did, putting it in the downloads folder. I've unlocked advanced mode, but frankly, the package installer program still intimidates me at the moment.

I understand I should be able to go in to the terminal and type "yum install calgoo" and it should work? but it doesn't.

I've gone through the folder that I extracted, and there doesn't seem to be a package file at all...nothing with .rpm or .rmp or whatever the suffix is.

Any ideas on how I can get this program installed?

zero9046, Sep 3, 2008
  2. zero9046

XxOrpheusxX

You need to do something like this. (Hint: type "install a tarball" and you'll get loads of results:

open a terminal using Alt+F2, make the line blank and check the box "Run in terminal". Then type:

tar -xzvf calgoo_1.3.2_linux.tar.gz -C /home/user/Downloads/calgoo

it will unpack in the directory Downloads/calgoo. Go there with:

cd home/user/Downloads/calgoo

Type:
    ./configure

Most of the times this works, if you need a dependency, you need to install it with:
    sudo yum install {name of dependency}

then type:
    make
    sudo make install

This should do the trick.

XxOrpheusxX, Sep 8, 2008
Ask a Question