Installing COMBO driver

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jane renwick, May 21, 2009.

1. jane renwick

jane renwick

Still totally new to Linux & still struggling.

I have acquired for my Acer Aspire One A110-ab with LINUX Model: ZG5, one of the following

Slimline USB External CDROM DVDROM CDRW Combo drive. Reads and writes CDs & reads DVD media. Slim and portable drive for laptops, Netbooks and desktop PCs. Works with Windows and Linux. In Metallic Sapphire Blue to match Samsung NC10 and Acer Aspire one Netbooks

The (sparse) instructions given only for Windows users. These are:

Connect USB drive to computer port with USB cable. Windows will find new hardware and will start “Add/Remove hardware”. Press “Next”

Click “Search for driver automatically”, press “Next”

Click “Floppy disk drive”, insert USB driver disk into floppy disk drive, press “Next”
    Windows will find drive inside USB driver disk, wait until Windows copies all files onto the system, screen will display “USB to IDE adapter”, press “Finish”

Then you will find the new driv inside “My Computer”, USB drive is installed correctly. Windows ME, 2000, XP system support Plug & Play, install driver automatically

NB: I fthe new drive didn't show on “My computer”, please check if there is “USB Universal Host Controller” in “My computer/ Control Panel/ System/ Drive Manager. If you cannot find it you have to restart your computer in CMOS. In “Chipset Features Setup” or “Integrated Peripherals” change “On chip USB to “Enabled, saved and restart computer, check if found USB CD-ROM.

SO! I plugged in the new COMBO thing and NOTHING happened except the small blue light on the top of the COMBO is on.

Then insert the (mini) disk and it opens up “Removable:///TYG”

There are folder listed:

“Nero Burning ROM Ultra edition v 6.6.0.6. Final” (and with a Chinese character at end)
    “USB 1.1”
    “USB 2.0”
    “v9.1”
    “chinese character. TXT”

Unsure of what to do with this information, I exited.

Thanks to someone, I managed to locate (ALT +F2) and ran “sudo yum install fedora-release”. So, I am now able to right click and get a list of items starting with “RUN PROGRAM” and ending with “QUIT”, these have various sub-menus.

Under “SYSTEM” there seems to be a relevant item “Add/Remove Software”. This advised me I was attempting to use “pirut” (another thing I know nothing about), and required my password.

I do so, and then arrived at the “Package Manager” directory, where I have clicked on the “All Packages” option and see a list of packages. Here I have stopped I don't know where to go from here to Install the COMBO stuff.

Sorry again for my ignorance about LINUX. I can clearly understand how to do this in MS Windows (a sad, seasoned user!), but STILL can't get my old head around the LINUX system & commands.

PLEASE make any comments/help you may have IDIOT-PROOF, pretend you are teaching a pet frog!!!

jane renwick, May 21, 2009
  2. jane renwick

rbil

You can install k3b, which is a cd/dvd burning app. You can do this either from pirut (the GUI package manager) or from a terminal prompt by doing:

sudo yum install k3b

Cheers.

rbil, May 21, 2009
  3. jane renwick

jane renwick

Thanks - I DID explain I was TOTALLY new to Linux and so I don't even know what the GUI package manager is (or where to find it). Or "from a terminal prompt" - what is a "terminal prompt"

Sorry sorry, sorry - I'm stuck with the terminology!

Anyway, I went back to the "desktop"? and tried ALT + F2 (Run program) and copied in your "sudo yum install k3b". I put a tick in the "Run from Terminal". This did lots of work and said everything was installed happily!

I have got what you said, installed. But NOW what? Where has 'IT' gone? How do I access (use) "IT"

Does this action make the use of the mini disk (supplied with the COMBO), or is the mini-disk not required (to do anything)

I STILL wish I had bought my little Acer with WINDOWS (commands, which I understand). I know you Linix boys (and girls) are clever, but I am not!

Thanks - xxx

jane renwick, May 22, 2009
  4. jane renwick

solpuerto

Hi Jane

See you are still enjoying Linux???

First, the GUI Package Manager is what you opened with Add/Remove Software and is also called Pirut.

Second, If you activate the right click menu and look under Multimedia and you should find k3b programme. k3b allows you to burn (copy) data to your CD e.g. music files. Your description of the drive indicates that you can only read DVD's but not write (burn/copy) to a DVD.

Third, the Terminal Prompt is accessed via the Alt+F2 keys and is where you typed in "sudo yum install k3b"

Four, it is more than likely the mini disc that came with your combo drive is for windows OS only.

Five, what did you buy the CDRW/DVD reader for? You may require to install other software.

Six, If you open File System and look for a Directory called Media you should see Disk under it, that is where any data on the drive will be shown. It is also where you will write data to i.e. /media/disk. I suggest you insert a music CD into your drive and navigate to /media/disk and see if you can read/play the files. You could also open Multimedia then Media Master. Click on File Icon bottom left hand corner and select Removable and you should see your music files.

Seven, if you have an XP CD you could install windows.

solpuerto, May 22, 2009
  5. jane renwick

fweigel

For reading CDs and DVDs, just plug and play -- no extra software needed.

For writing CDs, use the Acer software:

http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/files/files.html

Go there, pick Files, and install "Gnomebaker"

This will give you an icon in your "Files" section (green part). You will have to pick the green arrow to expand the group. Choose the new application, and burn away!

fweigel, May 23, 2009
  6. jane renwick

RPZ

I bought a similar Hong Hong Dvd/cdrom machine; I plug it in and when it runs my Acer shuts down. This is with one USB input and using a separate mains power adapter with the Dvd/cd machine. Can't figure that out at all.

RPZ, Jun 14, 2009
  7. jane renwick

fweigel

RPZ

Depending on how much you value your AAO - try another USB port.

If that doesn't work, you have (99%+ likely) a defective DVD drive. It may have destroyed the USB port it was plugged into as well (unlikely, but possible). Or ports.

fweigel, Jun 24, 2009
  8. jane renwick

jane renwick

Thanks for this. I have tried another USB port and (touch wood) it works. However, it seems to reject (block) virtually EVERY DVD I put in. Some do work but others (it would seem COPIES), are not accepted. Is there some sort of POLICEMAN inside?!! Or is ti being plain PICKY?!

Thanks

jane renwick, Jun 28, 2009
  9. jane renwick

fweigel

Yes, there is a "policeman" inside -- basically, DVDs are encrypted. The DVD drive has to have the correct region code set. I am not sure how this works for your drive, though.

Do CDs (audio) work ok?

fweigel, Aug 5, 2009
  10. jane renwick

djnm2

I have installed K3B on my Aspire 1 running under Linux. The software has been added and is working but the computer refuses to recognise my Acer super multi drive dvd player. Do I have to somehow mount it as it is working in as much that the light comes on the dvd player, and it will eject. I am at a loss as to know what to do next. Any help would be most gratefully received!!

djnm2, Sep 28, 2010
Ask a Question