Installing Firefox 3 via Xrchiver

Discussion in 'Linux' started by chazzmor, Dec 23, 2008.

1. chazzmor

chazzmor

I downloaded Firefox 3 from the Acer Aspire One web page per Acer's instructions "open via Xrchiver" Once Xrchiver opened I could not figure out how to open the "setup" file. I closed Xrchiver, went back to it and couldn't find the firefox3.sh.zip or firefox3.sh file. I then went to the Mozilla Firefox site and downloaded Firefox 3 direct from their web site using "open with Xrchiver". This time all the files associated with Firefox 3 were listed, but I had no idea what particular file, of all the files listed, I was suppose to click on to start setup. I closed Xrchiver again, went back and couldn't find any of the firefox3 files when I reopened it. Is there an easier way to download and install Firefox. Wouldn't it be easier to "save to disk" instead of "open with Archiver"? Also, are those downloaded files still somewhere on my AA1 and can I delete them if they are?

chazzmor, Dec 23, 2008
  2. chazzmor

markh

markh, Dec 24, 2008
  3. chazzmor

chazzmor

Thanks for the info, but after reading the instructions and the comments from some of the people who tried it, including one that said not only didn't it install, but they lost the original browser and now have NO browser, I think I'll just stick with the Firefox 2 that's already installed. I don't understand why the Acer web site has such pitiful user support. The first few times I asked them a question by e-mail they gave me a phone number to call. This time they said in effect, to try to find an answer by yourself for the next 7 days and then get back to us if you still can't solve it. Except for updates, (browser, etc.)which Acer should include in their Live Update (I've never had a problem using that)the only thing I'd like to install is the Bluetooth support which is also listed on Acer's download page. But, I'm not about to even attempt that. Maybe eventually they'll include these things in Live Update.

chazzmor, Dec 24, 2008
Ask a Question