installing google chrome

Discussion in 'Linux' started by saphira, Dec 29, 2009.

1. saphira

saphira

I tried installing google chrome browser. I have Aspire One 8G, Linpus Linux Lite. How would I know which of the packages below to choose? (Where to see the info in my system?)

Please select your download package:
    32 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)
    64 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)
    32 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE)
    64 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE)

The first thing i did was go to "add/remove packages" and searched for google chrome in the available packages but it wasn't there.

So, i went back to google chrome website and as I know that i'm using Fedora I first tried 32 bit rpm but there was an error telling about "resolving dependencies."

Missing Dependency: lsb >= 3.2 is needed by package google-chrome-beta
    Missing Dependency: libnss3.so(NSS_3.12.3) is needed by package google-chrome-beta

Then I tried 64 bit.rpm, but it has the same issue:

Missing Dependency: lsb >= 3.2 is needed by package google-chrome-beta
    Missing Dependency: libgconf-2.so.4()(64bit) is needed by package google-chrome-beta
    Missing Dependency: libnss3.so(NSS_3.12.3)(64bit) is needed by package google-chrome-beta
    Missing Dependency: libsqlite3.so.0()(64bit) is needed by package google-chrome-beta
    Missing Dependency: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0()(64bit) is needed by package google-chrome-beta
    Missing Dependency: libcairo.so.2()(64bit) is needed by package google-chrome-beta
    Missing Dependency: libasound.so.2()(64bit) is needed by package google-chrome-beta

I'm a beginner and don't know much about these things, please help.... How to install google chrome, which package should i choose for my unit?

thanks in advance...

saphira, Dec 29, 2009
  2. saphira

RockDoctor

To answer your first question, you want the 32-bit rpm. The dependencies should properly come from a Fedora 8 repository. You should have a file /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo with at least the following content:
    Code:
    [fedora]
    name=Fedora 8 - $basearch
    failovermethod=priority
    baseurl=http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/
    enabled=1
    metadata_expire=7d
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

then, in a terminal window enter the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo yum check-update
    sudo yum install redhat-lsb nss

and hope that by installing these two packages and their dependencies that you don't screw up some other aspects of Linpus.

Good Luck if you chose to pursue this.

RockDoctor, Dec 29, 2009
  3. saphira

stu20001

Hi

Just tried this but still get the same dependency issues as the original poster.

When trying to install the updates I got the following messages which seem to relate to the files with the dependency issues:

Transaction Check Error:
    file /lib/lsb/init-functions from install of redhat-lsb-3.1-19.fc8 conflicts with file from package linpus-lsb-3.1-1lp
    file /usr/bin/lsb_release from install of redhat-lsb-3.1-19.fc8 conflicts with file from package linpus-lsb-3.1-1lp
    file /usr/share/man/man1/lsb_release.1.gz from install of redhat-lsb-3.1-19.fc8 conflicts with file from package linpus-lsb-3.1-1lp

Any thoughts or is this another thing Linpus can't do?

stu20001, Jan 7, 2010
  4. saphira

RockDoctor

When you consider Linpus pre-dates chrome by almost two years, it's not surprising that chrome doesn't run on it without updates. Especially since Google didn't write chrome to run on Linpus. I see a couple of options here: (1) forcibly install chrome on Linpus (sudo rpm -e <full-name-of-chrome-rpm-goes-here> and see if it works. (2) replace the linpus-lsb package with redhat-lsb and hope it doesn't break anything in Linpus. I recommend option (1).

RockDoctor, Jan 7, 2010
  5. saphira

me075064

me075064, Jan 9, 2010
  6. saphira

andreswebb

I just followed the instructions for installing chromium from the link taken from Macles and everything seemed to work fine as I copied and pasted and I can see the icon now in connect section but when I click on it nothing happens. Any suggestions? I am very new to linux so please be clear how to correct this if you reply. Thanks!

andreswebb, Jan 13, 2010
Ask a Question