Installing Linpus on an XP Aspire One

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Hickeroar, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Hickeroar

Hickeroar

I've been googling for about an hour and I'm not sure if I'm just missing something or what, but I can't find anything about this.

I've got an XP Aspire One, and I'm rather unthrilled with the performance. I know these machines aren't built for performance, but I'm sure a lite linux installation would be a bit snappier.

If I download the latest linpus distro from linpus.com A) can I install it on this Aspire One, and B) how would I go about doing something like that?

Thanks for any help you all can give. :)

Hickeroar, Jan 1, 2009
  2. Hickeroar

azz2811

i was thinking about doing this myself but i never got around to doing it. im sure that there will be a few toutorials on the linpus website also check out the how to guides on this forum

azz2811, Jan 1, 2009
  3. Hickeroar

charlie01

The version of Linpus linux lite that comes on the aspire one is different then the Linpus you download from there website.
    If you can find the ISO for the Acer modified Linpus lite,It should be as simple as burning it to a cd with infra recorder.
    Then creating bootable usb to boot your aspire one up with...Or you can use the CD with an external drive.

Being that you have the XP version you have a HD vs a SSD,,,You should be able to install any full Linux Distro.
    I have found Pendrivelinux.com very usefull for installing distro`s with a USB flashdrive.

charlie01, Jan 1, 2009
  4. Hickeroar

Hickeroar

Actually I have the WinXP SSD model. It's got an 8GB SSD and an additional 8GB SD Card that came with it. I hadn't seen any of them before I came across this one in Best Buy. $300 too...which is none too shabby.

That said, Will the linpus downloaded from linpus.com work on this machine or does it not have the required drivers?

Hickeroar, Jan 1, 2009
  5. Hickeroar

Aspiration

usb flashdrives compatible with running linux

* SanDisk - Cruzer Micro 128M-2G
    * RIDATA - Ritek Mini Spin 128M-2G
    * OCZ - Rally2 (Old Style) 128M-2G
    * OCZ - Mini Kart 128M-1-2G
    * PQI - PQI i810 1-2G
    * PNY - Attache 1-2G

Find complete comprehensive reviews of USB flashdrives that are compatible with Linux at http://pendrivereviews.com

Aspiration, Apr 7, 2009
  6. Hickeroar

Tamrac

Linpus from linpus.com will not work. Acer has a customized linpus version for the AAO.

XP performs very well with the SSD, provided it's tweaked very well for it. I doubt that ACER implemented everything. Read up on the windows section of this forum. There are tons of info there to maximize XP for the SSD version of AAO.

Tamrac, Apr 7, 2009
Ask a Question