Installing linpus on the XP model

Discussion in 'Windows' started by LightofHonor, Aug 1, 2008.

1. LightofHonor

LightofHonor

I should be getting my xp model in the mail in the next few days and am wondering if you can put linpus on it and, if you can, if its the same linpus you get off their website? Because I'm pretty sure it wont come with the linpus cd...

LightofHonor, Aug 1, 2008
  2. LightofHonor

KiNG

u can download the acer recovery cd from the downloads section on the forum, make sure and use idm to download it thou.

KiNG, Aug 5, 2008
  3. LightofHonor

mercado79

Curious if you got this working. If so, what do you think? Would you recommend blowing away XP? Is it worth the trouble?

I downloaded the image, but I haven't tried using it yet. Ideally, I'd be able to dual boot with Windows while I test it out.

mercado79, Aug 26, 2008
  4. LightofHonor

sgtslwilson

I am also veeerry curious about this as well as I am a Linux fan (Ultimate Edition). However, when I tried to install Ubuntu on my AA1 my wireless card wasn't recognized and I deemed it too much work to get it to work so I went back to XP.

However, if the stock Acer Linpus works with the XP version of the AA1 I'll go to it in a heartbeat so I can use Linux WITH all of my hardware working.

Please let us know how this turns out.

Thanks.

sgtslwilson, Aug 26, 2008
  5. LightofHonor

friendwilder

My Aspire One arrived yesterday,

I bought the XP version with 120GB HDD, I bought with XP because there are some programs (mandatory) that are not for Linux, but I use these programs a few times , and the boot time of my Aspire One is over one minute, so I have decided to install the Linux Linpus lite for Aspire one without uninstalling the XP, because of the boot time improvement, and I would like to continue using Linux (In my desktop I have installed Ubuntu).

Now, I am dowloading the iso file for the Linux Linpus Lite from the download section of this forum, but it is a recovery dvd, so I think that it will erase all the partitions of the HDD inside my Aspire One, have someone tried to make dual boot of the Acer Aspire with the Linpus Lite Version included in the Aspire One 110 and the XP included in the Aspire One 150?

I have been looking in this forum, but most of the people with dual boot or triple boot have installed another OS`s not the Linpus Linux Lite included in the Aspire One 110.

Is there anyone who has installed the Linpus in the XP model?

friendwilder, Aug 26, 2008
  6. LightofHonor

fateastray

Just a thought...Why not install Kubuntu within your Windows directory? No need for a new partition, it installs like any other application and it enables a dual boot option...

fateastray, Aug 27, 2008
  7. LightofHonor

Azazel

First of all a big HELLO to everybody here as this is my first post ;)

This is a VERY interesting matter.
    I had mi first One for one week with Linpus, and switched to a second unit (120Gb, XP) because I too need some soft that is Windows only. But was always curious of the Linux 'thing' and for most of its use I do not need nothing else...
    Please someone able to do it keep trying and explain!

Does Kubuntu came with proper drivers for the One? Have you one working unit like that?

Thanks!

Azazel, Aug 27, 2008
  8. LightofHonor

mercado79

Installing other Linux distributions on the Acer One is relatively easy. I used the following guides:

1.) Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive for the installation:

(I chose the UNetbootin option... super easy)
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... omUSBStick

2.) Install Ubuntu (you can install Kubuntu or other versions as per your preference):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

I didn't go through all the options, to be honest. My main concern was getting the wireless card up and running, so don't get overwhelmed by all the tweaks and configuration options listed on the page. You don't have to do them all (or all at once)!

Additional Options

a). Read and Write to the Linux partition from within Windows XP/Vista
    In order to make things easier, I have been using this Windows program which allows you to read/write to Linux partitions on your hard drive (ext2 or ext3).

http://www.fs-driver.org/

So... using this driver, I was able to download the wireless drivers and modify some configuration files from within Windows XP. That way, I actually have access to the internet while I'm setting things up.

One caveat, when installing Ubuntu or any other Linux distro, you'll have to decide whether you want to overwrite the Windows bootloader with GRUB or write the Linux boot record onto the Linux partition and then add it to the pre-existing Windows bootloader manually.

b). Dual Boot Linux and Windows without losing the Windows Boot Menu
    To maintain the Windows bootloader (boot.ini), I chose the advanced options during Ubuntu setup, selected the Linux partition as the boot partition, and then when the computer restarts, I used the Bootpart utility to create the option to boot linux on startup.

http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

Wow, now that I've written this, I'm realizing that I know quite a bit about this stuff. If anyone is confused, but interested in learning more. I can be persuaded to put together a proper how-to step by step guide. Let me know! :)

Now... as for the original purpose of this post, the question is not how do we install some random linux Distro, but rather how do we install the original Linpus Lite that ships with the Linux versions of the Acer One on the 120gb Windows version of the Acer One. If I have time in the coming days, I will try but I was hoping someone else had tried already and would share their experience with the rest of us.

mercado79, Aug 27, 2008
  9. LightofHonor

dpfiffe

The program is called Wubi. http://wubi-installer.org/

dpfiffe, Aug 27, 2008
  10. LightofHonor

sgtslwilson

I think what most people want is to dual boot windows and the stock Acer Linpus so we don't have to pull our hair out trying to get our wifi to work.

I just pulled my hair out getting my Vista install to work right (camera still doesnt work) so it would be nice to install and dual boot the Acer version of linpus where everything works out of the box.

Does anyone know how to do that without destroying windows?

sgtslwilson, Aug 27, 2008
  11. LightofHonor

sgtslwilson

Please do this for us! You would be my absolute hero! Probably a lot of others too!

Well....what are you waiting around reading this post for? You have a mission...chop-chop! :D

sgtslwilson, Aug 27, 2008
  12. LightofHonor

blackhawk

When restoring Linpus from USB flashdisk with plugged another flashdisk in the second USB port, we have an option to restoring Linpus to USB. Not tested to restoring to USB yet, since I have no 8GB+ USB flashdisk. Another options is save a working Linpus partition to HDD and then set boot loader manually.

blackhawk, Aug 27, 2008
  13. LightofHonor

friendwilder

Well, I am a newbie, but I have been looking for information about this topic.
    So, it seems to me that there is a guy who has the same model of Aspire One and he has installed three different OS.

The webpage is http://aspireone150.wikispaces.com/

Following all the steps, the difference seems to be only that he has 4 partitions including the original recovery partition, while all of us would like to have 3 partitions.

He installed or He is going to install OS X and Ubuntu, while we are going to install Linpus Linux Lite, so If we have downloaded the recovery ISO file from the download section (Recovery section) of this forum, we can install the Linpus lite from a external dvd unit.

So, the problem here is if we do not have a external dvd unit? Probably is possible by a network? And what happend if we do not have access to a network?

How I can create a usb stick from the recovery iso file to install the original linpus linux lite in my Aspire One?

friendwilder, Aug 28, 2008
  14. LightofHonor

Azazel

I am affraid it is not so simple: the original Linpus recovery disc is not an 'installation disc'. It will "wipe out" the disc probably wiping also the recovery XP partition as well as the XP partition itself. There is no way to choose' were you do want to 'recover Linpus' on its (very basic) menus. I know because my first One was an SSD8-Linpus and I have a backup of the disc and used it to restore the system a couple of times (quite easy btw, just 20 minutes with an usb-external DVD) before switching to my actual 120-XP One.

It seems like all the geeks around here find our idea useless because them all prefer to make a "proper" Linux install (Ubuntu etc). But for those of us who do not want to be playing with the damn 'terminal' window and 'just' want to have the option of a dual boot XP/Linpus... any help???

Thanks and regards,

Josep

Azazel, Aug 28, 2008
  15. LightofHonor

imcrazy

The Linpus Recovery dvd does have a "choose Partition" option before you do the restore. Theoretically it should work fine without erasing anything, although I have not tried it to find out.

imcrazy, Aug 28, 2008
  16. LightofHonor

michaelg

The R-DVD suggest just the WHOLE drive, not a special partition - unfortunately.

I would need that too because I installed XP on a second partition on my disk. Now I have no idea how to set sd1 as a primary partition to boot from.

When I use qparted (set the boot flag), just a cursor shows up on booting.

Any suggestions?

Michael

michaelg, Aug 29, 2008
  17. LightofHonor

soleblaze

I currently have 6 operating systems installed on my aspire one (also replaced the 120gb hard drive with a 320gb). Currently I have both an A101 and A150 (going to sell the 101 on ebay soon). I restored the A101 to factory default and then copied the partition using dd. I think created another partition on the a150 of the same size and used dd to copy it back over. Then I edited the fstab file and stuck the entry in grub.conf.

In the end I don't think there's an easy way to get it to dual boot. I can send the partition size information and put the image up somewhere. Then all you'd need to do is boot up into another distro (like ubuntu), use gparted to resize and create a new partition (well, two if you want to use swap) and use dd to copy over the image. Then you'd have to figure out some way to have the bootloader give you an option. I believe there's a program somewhere on the net that will give you a nice gui to do this.

Another thing you can do is get an 8gb usb drive. The recovery dvd will recognize the usb drive and you would be able to do a restore to that. Then you can boot the usb stick.

soleblaze, Aug 29, 2008
  18. LightofHonor

ericww

I know this is an old thread, but having just received my One today, I'd like to do this as well, since for now, I need something that works, not something incomplete (sleep function is important, heh). I've found a blog documenting how to do this dualboot, but unfortunately, it's completely in German and Google translator nets way too much engrish to be helpful. If anyone knows German, could you please translate?

The site: http://www.umpx.de/netbooks/acer-aspire ... ite-howto/

I also have an idea as to how to do this, but it does have holes that need to be filled by people more knowledgeable in Linux and how filesystems work. So here's my plan:
    -Ghost your XP partition
    -Use the Linpus cd to redo the entire drive with Linux
    -While inside of Linpus, repartition the drive, making space to restore the XP partition somewhere
    Now the flaws inside my plan should be pretty obvious: how do you repartition a drive in Linpus, and after you restore your XP partition, how do you make it available for boot?

ericww, Aug 30, 2008
  19. LightofHonor

jackluo923

If people are only dualbooting linux solely because of the boot time, there's another alternative.
    Dual boot windows XP.

1. A full featured Windows XP
    2. A super small nlited XP which can boot up in about 10-15 seconds.

jackluo923, Aug 30, 2008
  20. LightofHonor

friendwilder

I think that the Linux Linpus Lite for the Aspire One is more user friendly for beginners, I plan to introduce my parents with that version of Linux to the computer world.
    One question, is legally approved build a nlite version of Windows XP?

friendwilder, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question