Installing linpus on the XP model

Discussion in 'Windows' started by LightofHonor, Aug 1, 2008.

1. LightofHonor

blackhawk

@ericww
    It's works! Use the internal SSD (FAT32) as grub root directory, so no need external boot disk. Boot your AA1 and grub give you three option:
    - Windows
    - Linpus on SD Card
    - Linpus on USB Drive
    Grub is amazing!

I will share my modified initrd if someone give me a 16GB SDHC as a gift :) Just kidding, but who knows ;)

blackhawk, Sep 6, 2008
  2. LightofHonor

z6joker9

I'm confused... how did you install to SD card exactly, and get it to come up in the boot menu? Would you might writing a guide? I would love to have one OS on my 16GB SD card, and another on the SSD (prefer to put Windows on the SDHC, assuming it is the faster one, just because of storage space for apps). At the very least, I would like to have both OS's to pick from... Linpus as primary for simple and fast browsing/mail and XP for Visual Studio/Office/Visio/etc. I tried Ubuntu and it was nice, but Linpus boots fast and runs swiftly.

z6joker9, Sep 7, 2008
  3. LightofHonor

blackhawk

Short steps:
    1. Create a single partition on your SD card, format it as ext2 filesystem.
    2. Extract hdc._.tar.bz2 + all archives inside addon directory from Linpus recovery DVD to your SD root directory.
    3. I assume you have Windows on SSD with FAT32 filesystem. Copy my boot directory to drive C:\ and then install grub to SSD.
    4. Boot your AA1, you will have 2 option: Boot to Windows or Linpus.

blackhawk, Sep 7, 2008
  4. LightofHonor

friendwilder

I am confused, too.

The instructions is only for AAO with SSD or is for AAO with hard disk drives (NTFS) and XP installed as well?

Booting from the SD with Linpus is fast? How fast?

friendwilder, Sep 7, 2008
  5. LightofHonor

blackhawk

SDHC class 6 4GB, Linpus desktop appear in ~20 second.
    Sorry, my English not good enough to explain. I have no access to AOA HDD version but I think this is workaround solution for AOA HDD owner.

blackhawk, Sep 7, 2008
  6. LightofHonor

friendwilder

Thanks for the explanation,

The first step for me, is create an image of the recovery partition but I can not create it, it is annoying. I am a bad linux user. The instructions seem easy but in the practice does not work as it should be.

But with this option, probably I can use my card, but it is class 2, so I think the boot time will be longer. I will try, I hope not to have problems.

If you can post detailed instructions how to, I will be grateful to you.

friendwilder, Sep 7, 2008
  7. LightofHonor

ericww

I'm actually having issues trying to repartition the Linpus partition. I've tried using the latest Ubuntu Live USB and when GPart'ing, it stops after ten minutes with no progress and says that it cannot be completed. I've also tried using the Parted Magic live CD, which is just a fancy Live distro that's specifically for GPartEd, but that has its own issues as well. When running GPartEd, a little lock icon is seen next to the partition and doesn't allow me to resize it or do anything to it, and that's with the partition umounted. When it's mounted, no options to do anything are available.

The more I try, the more I think XP is fine....

ericww, Sep 8, 2008
  8. LightofHonor

mercado79

mercado79, Sep 8, 2008
  9. LightofHonor

apfacer2

It now seems to require a password does anyone know what it is ?

apfacer2, Oct 26, 2009
  10. LightofHonor

Japser

Just tried:

user: acer
    pass: acer

But there is little to find there.

Japser, Oct 26, 2009
Ask a Question