Installing Linpus Selecting Partition Problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by meggark, Dec 17, 2008.

1. meggark

meggark

Hi all.

My situation is, I have Xubuntu installed and want to keep it there, however I'd like to have linpus back on as well to give me something that will book quickly just for checking email or whatever.

The problem is that when I'm running the Linpus installer (tried the AA1 recovery CD and the standard version of Linpus lite) when I get to the select partition stage the only option it gives is to use the whole disk. I don't want to do that since I don't want to have to reinstall Xubuntu. I've tried running the installer with free space on the drive, and with the drive set up with the necessary empty partitions for installing (ext2, swap)

Anyone any ideas or am I going to have to just wipe the drive and start from the beginning?

Cheers

meggark, Dec 17, 2008
  2. meggark

RockDoctor

To answer your questions, yes and no. First the good news: Yes folks here have ideas, and no, you don't have to start over.
    Now the bad news: If you use the Linpus installer, you'll wipe your disk. If you've got just the 8GB SSD, it's probably not a good idea to try this (and if you do want to go ahead, you'll need to add a few steps to resize the Linpus image)

Basically, what you have to do is to create a partition large enough to receive an image of the Linpus install, copy a working Linpus image to that partition, then modify the grub configuration file, /boot/grub/menu.lst to allow you to selectively boot the Linpus image. Search the forum, you'll find links to a usable Linpus image and (I think) a more detailed explanation of the steps. Good luck!

RockDoctor, Dec 18, 2008
  3. meggark

meggark

Ah never thought of that, I shall give it a go.

Cheers

meggark, Dec 18, 2008
Ask a Question