Installing on a SSD AAO Z5G

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by nicholson, Jun 25, 2009.

1. nicholson

nicholson

Hi
    Ive read the posts here . I'm Mac through & through & this Linpus nonsense that has come with the AAO i've just been given has got to go.

There are mixed reports both here & on google concerning installing OSX on the SSD version of AAO. Some say it's slow while others seem satisifed with what's happening. Also the tutorials and OSX install versions put out here are changing over the weeks.

1. Do you think it is worth going for an install of either of the current OSX install versions iAtkos 5i or the Deneb v1.4i on my AAO ZG5 SSD/SD 16GB 1gb RAM netbook ?

2. I'd like to do it without splashing out cash on all but the possible new wifi card unless a tweak arrives which makes OSX compatible with the Atheros which is the card i presume ive got also. Will my 1GB RAM cover the install process ?

3. The other question is do i need to install the new wifi card BEFORE i install an OSX or would the new OSX recognise a new wifi card at a later date ?

thanx for all your time folks.
    n

nicholson, Jun 25, 2009
  2. nicholson

uluf

1. Just try it for yourself
    2. 1 GB is fine, you will want a Broadcomm 4311 (or equivalent 43xx) Wifi card, they're not that expensive and they work fine. Save yourself the hassle of trying to get the Atheros to run.
    3. It should work at a later date too.

uluf, Jun 27, 2009
  3. nicholson

SP1950

You should really replace the wifi card before installation because this will save A LOT of trouble.
    You can't get pass the welcome screen if you got no working network interface (i assume you will install the kext when you get to the desktop)

Since the 43xx cards are recognized automatically, you will have a WORKING network card when you first boot your OSX.
    And you can get to the desktop without problem.

SP1950, Jun 27, 2009
  4. nicholson

nicholson

2 opposite viewpoints there - but a logic argument in the 2nd....

cheers.

n

nicholson, Jun 28, 2009
  5. nicholson

a2d

i did this:

1. installed a new apple wireless n pci-e card[/*:m:3vzuxgk5]
    2. installed extra 1gig ram to bring mine up to 1.5gb[/*:m:3vzuxgk5]
    3. installed XxX iso[/*:m:3vzuxgk5]
    the stock ssd mine came with was just too slow to run os x from. pauses every few minutes for disk writes meant the machine froze for a few seconds and just got annoying.(i had turned off journalling etc.)

so i installed a 30gb zif hd, reinstalled and it was much more responsive. overall the additional hardware cost me about €50 and it made all the difference.

a2d, Jul 6, 2009
Ask a Question