Installing Open Office 3.0

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Tootler, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Tootler

Tootler

I wish to update OO 2.3 to OO 3.0

I found Macles's instructions for doing this, but I had already downloaded the Linux version from the OO website.

Can I ignore the "wget" command and unpack the file and the follow the rest of Macles instructions or do I need to modify them in some other way?

Any help appreciated.

Geoff

Tootler, Feb 2, 2009
  2. Tootler

markh

The wget command simply automates the process of downloading the file. The instructions expect the wget to have put a file called "OOo_3.0.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz" in your user dir (i.e. the level above documents, downloads etc), so make sure that is where it is. The next command uses a wildcard on OOo* so any minor variations in your file name (i.e. if it's gone to 3.02 or something) will be accounted for.

markh, Feb 2, 2009
  3. Tootler

libssd

Macles* instructions for installing OO3 worked perfectly for me, but I'm wondering if my mind is playing tricks. With OO2.4, I thought I remembered seeing an Office icon in the tray, probably next to the wireless icon. If this indeed was present, how can I get it back for OO3? It was a very convenient shortcut to start Office without going back to the home menu.

libssd, Feb 3, 2009
  4. Tootler

mattytee

libssd,

It's called the quickstarter. Very handy.

Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Memory - "Enable systray Quickstarter".

The next time you log in, or possibly sooner, it should be in the notification area.

You may need openoffice-gtk installed for this functionality to work.

mattytee, Feb 5, 2009
  5. Tootler

libssd

The option you describe was present in OO2.4, but is not there in OO3.

I confess I have no idea where to find, or how to install openoffice-gtk

libssd, Feb 5, 2009
  6. Tootler

mattytee

mattytee, Feb 5, 2009
  7. Tootler

Tootler

I eventually installed OO 3.0.1 following Macles* instructions and all went fine.

You can get the URL by right clicking on the download link on the OO website and select "copy link" from the pop up menu. This puts the URL on the clipboard and you can then paste it into a text file. Use this in a wget command.

Is there a button to mark the query "solved"? I have been looking for one and I can't see it, though I do have a flair for missing the obvious.

Geoff

Tootler, Feb 8, 2009
Ask a Question