Installing OpenTTd

Discussion in 'Linux' started by d90yqv, Dec 7, 2008.

1. d90yqv

d90yqv

Hi everyone - and apologies in advance for my ignorance - I'm completely new to Linux, and only managing to grasp it very slowly.

Simple question - I loved the game Transport Tycoon years ago, and there's a version which works in Linux. http://www.openttd.org/en/

I just don't know how to install it (even the though the website tried to tell me). http://wiki.openttd.org/wiki/index.php/GNU/Linux

Can anyone give me a simple guide on how to install this?

Thanks in advance

d90yqv, Dec 7, 2008
  2. d90yqv

markh

Oh no, if TTD is available, I'm not going to get anything done! I had a quick go, but quickly ground to a halt. I did glean that you need to have data off an original TTD disk copied to your system - that site only provides conversion methods, not the full game. I'm pretty sure I've still got it somewhere....

markh, Dec 7, 2008
  3. d90yqv

SwingSwingSwing

I installed OpenTTD just the other day.

Goto the download page for 0.6.3 stable
    Download the Linux Generic Binaries (i686, 32bit) (gzip archive).
    Open the downloaded file with XArchiver and extract all the files, preserving the directory structure. I extracted to my home directory.

Read the README and obtain the files required, Google is your friend here.
    Copy the files to the one of the directories the README specifies.

Double click on the openttd executable and you should be presented with the opening animation and the "Ding Ding" sound.

SwingSwingSwing

SwingSwingSwing, Dec 17, 2008
  4. d90yqv

markh

Oh well, I didn't have any plans for the holidays anyway. Ta for the instructions, SSS.

markh, Dec 18, 2008
  5. d90yqv

markh

Edit: ignore me, schoolboy error!

Hmm, I had a go at installing this, but it won't run. I've got an openttd directory with an executable file, the appropriate data files in, but no reaction when I launch it. Any obvious steps I've missed?

markh, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question