Installing Photoshop, Not Enuf Virtual Memory

Discussion in 'Windows' started by philly_bob, Nov 15, 2009.

1. philly_bob

philly_bob

Before I fixed the apparent overheating problem described in <http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18361>, I had Photoshop running nicely.

But after the fix, I had to do a default system restore -- and now when I attempt to reinstall Photoshop, I get a "not enough virtual memory" error message.

Other than the overheating drama, the only thing I can think of that's different is that I now have a memory card inserted into the side of my Acer Aspire One ZG5.

Clues for the clueless, anybody?

philly_bob, Nov 15, 2009
  2. philly_bob

Forone

First, on your low tech fan cure, I've had great results using a 100% isopropanol (no lubricants) electrical contact spray on my now seven year old Dell laptop fan, that was grinding and lagging to cause overheat. It's great for any buildup of crud inside a computer without dismantling, and won't harm plastics.

For this topic, assuming you've got XP, you can adjust your virtual memory easily enough, but I still can't imagine running any full version of Photoshop on these little guys. I use Elements, and only on my full powered PC, not the Acer - prefer using a lightweight app PhotoFiltre instead - there are other good ones - apart from resources the screen is too little for full on post processing.

To adjust virtual memory: open Explorer, rt-click My Computer, rt-click Properties, Click Advanced/Performance/Advanced/Change Virtual Memory. From default System Managed I've reset mine to 2048 Minimum and Maximum (these should be identical, basic internet advice is usually 1.5 X RAM and I've gone to 2 X RAM.) Good luck.

Forone, Nov 15, 2009
Ask a Question