Installing printer is driving me crazy....please help!!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by menumaster, Sep 4, 2008.

1. menumaster

menumaster

Hi, bought this computer for my son....he loves it, except he hates me as I just can't get his printer (Samsung clp-300) to work...I'm pretty average using xp/vista but this whole linux thing has me stumped. The printer is plugged in to the usb port and through 'add printer' aspire one recoginises the machine, offers to download the software, then gives an error message:

Printer 'CLP-3001' requires the 'foo2qpdl-wrapper' program but it is not currently installed. Please install it before using this printer.

so naturally I thought this would be a simple matter of searching online for this program and double clicking to download...hey presto printer works.....er, I guess nothing on linux is that simple!...maybe it's me but I have no clue how to proceed from here, I've stumbled on a couple of sites which just seem full of strange codes and stuff.....please can anyone help!!!!? ....many thanks!

menumaster, Sep 4, 2008
  2. menumaster

rbil

rbil, Sep 4, 2008
  3. menumaster

menumaster

Yes I have but I really don't understand the steps I need to follow, an idiots walkthrough would really help!

menumaster, Sep 4, 2008
  4. menumaster

Duncan_Rowland

First you need a command prompt, so you can type in the commands.
    Click on "My Documents", then "File" in the window that pops up, and then on "Terminal" on the drop-down list.
    You then need compilers and stuff... I think you just need to type:
    sudo yum install make gcc
    (I have more on my own machine, but I *think* those are the minimum install you will need to build the drivers)
    Hopefully now following the "Download and Install" instructions on the link rbil sent will work (I've not tried this myself).
    - If there's a choice, I'd suggest the Fedora8 alternative. Let me know how you go...
    -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 4, 2008
  5. menumaster

menumaster

Thanks so much, it worked!

menumaster, Sep 5, 2008
Ask a Question