Installing Programs to RAMdisk

Discussion in 'Windows' started by gurglemoo, Sep 1, 2008.

1. gurglemoo

gurglemoo

I bought myself an AA1 (110) last week and did a reformat (FAT32) and installed XP + 1 gig extra ram. After setting up XP (no pagefile, no write cache, TEMP files to RAMdisk, Firefox cache to RAMdisk) I still wasn't happy with the "snappiness" of everything so I tried installing certain programs to the RAMdisk to see if it helped - which it did!
    I created a 512mb ramdisk and installed Firefox, GOMplayer, ITunes, Quicktime, Acrobat (and various other SMALL programs) to the RAMdisk and now they open in a fraction of the time.

The only problem is that the RAMdisk is wiped with each reboot, so I copied all the files from the RAMdisk\Program Files to a backup folder on C: and also set up a basic startup script which does "@start XCOPY C:\RAMDISKcopy_ProgramFiles R:\Program Files /e" so that all these files+subfolders are copied in one go at startup (takes about 10-15 secs) and from then on everything is super fast. Much much faster than my 3ghz desktop w/ 2gig ram....

I figure this only helps with those smaller programs that get loaded more frequently like media players etc - you don't want to waste your precious RAMdisk space with crap like Office etc simply because they are so big.

I don't use this little machine for any video editing or graphic design so there is absolutely no need for more than 1 gig ram as I see it so it is worthwhile putting the extra 500mb to good use this way.

The only hassle with this is that if you do any updates to your Program Files then you must backup that program to the C:\ before you reboot.

gurglemoo, Sep 1, 2008
  2. gurglemoo

jackluo923

You can stick an 8GB SDHC card in AAO and enable readyboost and superfetch in windows vista. It'll achieve similar result without all the hassel. You can download 3rd party applications similar to readyboost and superfetch for windows XP.

jackluo923, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question