Installing Samsung CLP300n printer.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by theoldun, Jan 25, 2009.

1. theoldun

theoldun

I have been trying for a couple of days now to install my printer.
    At each attempt I am told to install foo2qpdl-wrapper.
    I have downloaded the file several times, it comes as .tar.gz file. The problem is Linpus refuses to extract the files so I can't get anywhere. Is there a way out of this or do I install Ubuntu which works well on my old laptop?
    Please help. :)

theoldun, Jan 25, 2009
  2. theoldun

zinovsky

If refuse to extract then try the rpm file , you can download it from here :

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/6/idpl/5767001

zinovsky, Jan 25, 2009
  3. theoldun

theoldun

Thank you zinovsky.
    That didn't work. Error message "Unable to install packages".

theoldun, Jan 25, 2009
  4. theoldun

zinovsky

For info, the foo2qpdl utility is available in the Fedora 8 repository. So first you have to add the repository of fedora 8,9,10 to your installation, copy this to your terminal :

then type this command to install :

Code:
    yum -y install foo2qpdl
    Goodluck and please report if worked for you :)

zinovsky, Jan 25, 2009
  5. theoldun

theoldun

Thank you. Before you posted I tried several methods and succeeded in screwing my system. It wouldn't load the OS. I have tried to recover with a USB stick but that wouldn't even load to the stick. I have tried to reload using the installation disk as supplied using an old DVD drive, but this won't load either. In desperation I have ordered a USB DVD and hope I can sort it. If not it goes back. :oops:

theoldun, Jan 26, 2009
  6. theoldun

solpuerto

Hi theoldun

I have just check my download from gutenprint and it contains a driver for a Samsung CLP300. Not sure if this is the same as the CLP300n that you have. Gutenprint contains many linux printer drivers. You download the whole package and when you connect a printer you can then select from a list of drivers. Worked for me with an Epson. The following is a link to their web site BUT you should be able to install it through the Add/Remove software functionality by inputting gutenprint and selecting All Packages. The one I downloaded was "gutenprint -5.0.2-1.fc8.i386

http://openprinting.org/show_driver.cgi ... gutenprint

With regard to your USB stick comments there does appear to be some sticks the update software does not recognise as I tried for my daughter and the restore DVD would not write to it. I have used a SanDisk micro cruzer and a cheap Dane Electric 2gb USB. Though the instruction says you can use a 1GB stick when I tried it told me it was not large enough.

Hope you get your problems sorted out as it is a great little machine.

solpuerto, Jan 26, 2009
  7. theoldun

theoldun

Thank you solpuerto.
    I will give it a go at the weekend. My new drive is due for delivery on Friday.

theoldun, Jan 26, 2009
  8. theoldun

theoldun

@ zinovski. I have tried the command you suggested. Unknown error failed to download.

@ solpuerto. Tried this one _ no such directory. I have tried to get to openprinting driver page. Again no such page.
    Still completely at a loss.
    Divorce is definitely on the cards if I can't sort it. :(

EDIT. Finally found the open printing page and the driver reference, but there is no download for the driver it just goes into a loop.

FURTHER EDIT. I have re-installed the OS for a second time. I managed to find an RPM file of foo2qpdl and tried to install, it came up the error "unable to install as this file clashes with__________________" so I am still no nearer.

theoldun, Jan 29, 2009
  9. theoldun

solpuerto

Hi theoldun

Sorry to hear you are still having problems.
    Did you try to use the "Add/Remove Software" under System?
    If you open that and select "Search" then type in "gutenprint"

[attachment=0:ggwkbn71]Guten1.png[/attachment:ggwkbn71]

It has a green tick against it as it is loaded on mine but you will need to select it to download. If my memory serves me right you get a list from your search and you may need to scroll to find the gutenprint I selected.

You then need to connect your printer and select Settings then Printing and addnew.

Hope this works and I am not sure your problem is acceptable grounds for divorce under the law.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Jan 29, 2009
  10. theoldun

theoldun

Thank you solpuerto.
    When I found that the RPM didn't load I removed Foomatic and it went straight in, but there was then no option to configure the printer. I tried to reinstall Foomatic and that came up with the conflict error message as before.
    I am doing a live update at the moment to see if that helps.
    I will look at your latest suggestion when I have served the evening meal as I am chief cook and bottle washer in the household.
    Thanks again for your suggestions. :)

theoldun, Jan 29, 2009
  11. theoldun

theoldun

Another update.
    No matter what I do it keeps asking for the foo2qpdl program and then refuses to install saying that it clashes with the files already installed.
    I am now at my wits end. :cry:

theoldun, Jan 29, 2009
  12. theoldun

solpuerto

Hi theoldun

I followed my instruction above and found the CLP300 driver and thought ,no problem then got told I needed the Foo thing. Having looked on google for it and even tried to follow the suggestions to install the package got no success. According to what I found you need to download foo2zjs as it contains foo2qpdl

I did download it and it appeared under /home/user/downloads. Opened it up and there is an Install icon. Opened that and the instructions I found via google are there. Tried them again but did not get to far.

Not sure what to say/do now.

solpuerto, Jan 29, 2009
  13. theoldun

theoldun

Thanks very much for your efforts. :D
    I have now installed Ubuntu. The only problem I can see with this may be installing the wireless Lan I will be doing this after lunch, but at least I am familiar with most of the quirks of this OS.

theoldun, Jan 30, 2009
  14. theoldun

theoldun

Final update.
    In the end I installed Mandriva. Everything *seems* to be working. :D
    Thank you all for your assistance, divorce has been avoided. :p

theoldun, Jan 31, 2009
Ask a Question