Installing tinyXP from external HDD iso possible?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by eflyersteve, Aug 22, 2008.

1. eflyersteve

eflyersteve

I've got a copy of TinyXp iso that I am wanting to try out and I also have an external hdd that I can format to boot from. For the life of me, I can't seem to get the iso to boot.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

THanks!

eflyersteve, Aug 22, 2008
  2. eflyersteve

Sid

Are you copying the ISO to a CD first?

Sid, Aug 22, 2008
  3. eflyersteve

Kite

I dont think you can boot a *.iso from your hard disk. You need to either burn it on a cd, attach an external reader and then boot from that reader, or you can make a bootable usb drive with the tinyXP installation (you can find instruction on that by searching in this forum).

remember to change your boot order accordingly in the bios when booting

Kite, Aug 22, 2008
  4. eflyersteve

impreziv

i tried for hours to get TinyXP to boot from a USB drive (2 different thumbdrives and my 160gb WD passport). didnt work on any attempt. the furthest i got was the installer looking like it was working, and then it got to one file, and said it was missing.

i ended up installing TinyVista. it runs great on the AAone (1gb model). very low ram usage. check out my thread about it in this same section.

impreziv, Aug 25, 2008
  5. eflyersteve

Guest Guest

I have TinyXP v09 running on my 512 MB Ram/SSD 8GB machine without any problems, it's fast and playing divx smoothly from SSD/USB pendrive/SD. Office 2003 also working without problems. I ended up installing v09 from external dvd drive. At first tries it hangs on the splash screen. After formating SSD to FAT32 installing v09 was easy (45 minutes). All tweaks already done in TinyXP v09 except the EnablePrefetch = 0. I was not sure if this entry is not in the registry it is the same as 0, so I added that registrykey. Downloaded and installed all the drivers (links on this board) and also installed the AAOfancontrol (set on 65degrees) and battery dll.

Next steps for me:
    - upgrade RAM with 1 MB --> Done http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=617&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=70
    - install windows server 2003 --> Done http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2147
    - install MicroXP --> Stopped (No noticable gains in speed in regard to the work of install and during this my AAO died due bios 3114)http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=903&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=110
    - install TinyVista --> Stopped (Install took to long on my SSD, maybe later new try)
    - install a linux distro with XAMPP

If and when it runs smoothly enough (OS not choosen yet) the AAO will become my webserver/gameserver :twisted: and when I travel put the ghost image back for use as netbook. The webserver tasks will during my trip be done by an other machine. The AAO is to good to leave it at home and take a bigger notebook on a trip.

I'll make ghost images from all fine working installs. The image from TinyXP system took about 10 minutes to make.

This was my 1st message on this board so I wrote down my experience of last 3 days with this great lil' machine.

Guest, Aug 26, 2008
  6. eflyersteve

eflyersteve

Yeah, I ended up buying an external DVD drive and all worked well. I'm sporting XP and it's running great! Bluetooth was a snap to get working too.

eflyersteve, Aug 26, 2008
Ask a Question