Installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix with ext2

Discussion in 'Linux' started by the_raptor, Feb 7, 2009.

1. the_raptor

the_raptor

I tried installing UNR using the unr-1.0.1.img USB image, thinking it like most Linux installs would give me options for formatting/filesystem choice, but instead it just seems to have installed as ext3, which is no good (it is causing annoying freezes due to contention of the SSD). Is there anyway to get the UNR USB image to install on ext2 (this would be my choice over dlding another 1GB file), or alternatively an easy way to get UNR to install on ext2?

the_raptor, Feb 7, 2009
  2. the_raptor

Thomas8675309

This post explains how to convert an existing installation from ext3 to ext2. You'll need to do this after booting up from a live-CD version (like what you originally installed from, perhaps).

Best regards.

Tom

Thomas8675309, Feb 7, 2009
  3. the_raptor

the_raptor

I installed from the UNR usb img, it isn't a liveCD. I tried using Puppy Linux (didn't feel like dlding an 800mb Ubuntu LiveCD just to do some minor edits) but now it gets to the splash screen and drops me at a blinking cursor.

I just tried using the recovery boot option from GRUB (so I could see what was failing) and it is saying it can't find /root/bin and other stuff on /dev/sda1. I rebooted back into puppy and that is all still there. The only thing I can think of that screwed anything is that Puppy wants to have the SSD on /dev/hdc1, and so that is what I substituted when following that guide.

the_raptor, Feb 7, 2009
  4. the_raptor

the_raptor

Gave up and re-installed UNR, then I tried following that guide using the Ubuntu live 8.10. Exact same problem.

I am going to try installing from the 8.10 and just installing the UNR packages. Given the problems I have had (not a noob, I hacked the crap out of Linpus) I really can't recommend the Netbook Remix for people that have SSD netbooks, ext3 is just not cutting it on these SSD's and it seems a really stupid choice as default fs.

the_raptor, Feb 7, 2009
  5. the_raptor

csmo

csmo, Feb 8, 2009
  6. the_raptor

sophenator

This is discussed on various other threads here, but I will post these links here for those who are interested in running UNR on ext2. Thanks to matylee's comparison of distribution choices here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10733 I have installed UMPC with UNR and the latest sickboy kernel. UMPC, based on 8.10 Intrepid has installer options for ext2. The following pages were helpful in installing the UNR packages.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobi ... ntoNetbook

I'm still tweaking things and checking things out, but I can reiterate others opinions in recommending this setup. I'm really enjoying the UNR interface after trying various other options.

sophenator, Feb 8, 2009
  7. the_raptor

axcairns

Might be worth learning some manners.

axcairns, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question