Installing Ubuntu.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Geekgirl, May 19, 2009.

1. Geekgirl

Geekgirl

Please accept my apologies if this has been done to death. I tried searching but got nowhere.
    I have Linpus on my Aspire One 150, 120GB.
    I would really like to put Ubuntu onto it now. My question is, Which Ubuntu do I use? There are so many versions out there, some work, some do not. Ideally as a complete novice, I'd be very happy if everything works after install.
    Ad then, How do I do it? Im pretty sure I once saw a step by step guide on this site somewhere, back when I bought it last year,(my aspire has sat on shelf unused because I dont like the Linpus interface.) but can no longer find anything..

Any help will be gratefully recieved!
    Caroline

Geekgirl, May 19, 2009
  2. Geekgirl

itres

You can start by having a look here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne.
    Choosing a distribution is a matter of taste you should make a list and try them and find out which one you like.

There are threads about some of these ubuntu flavours:

Ubuntu 9.04
    Xubuntu 9.04
    Kubuntu 9.04
    Ubuntu UNR 9.04

I personally use Ubuntu 9.04 (even if I also follow the work done by the Fedora people), I prefer gnome and I don't like the UNR interface.
    I don't have any particular problem suspend works that's a must for me, wifi with WPA2 works, I can get acerhdf installed. All the software I regularly use runs so that's my choice but it might be different for you.

Grtz

itres, May 19, 2009
  3. Geekgirl

groeswenphil

I installed Ubuntu Remix.
    It looks lovely but on my machine it ran a lot slower than Linpus.
    Also, I couldn't get BBC IPlayer to work at all.

You have to download the iso then get it onto a USB drive..........there are instructions on the Ubuntu site that tell you how.
    Then plug in the usb and start up.
    I think you have to quickly press f5 to get the Acer to boot from the USB but you can run Ubuntu from USB just to see what you think.

Good luck,
    Phil

groeswenphil, May 19, 2009
  4. Geekgirl

solpuerto

Hi

As itres has said they can all end up being a matter of choice.
    The one I had least problems with was East Peasy and even the WiFi worked with no problem and that was booting it from a USB. I found on other versions of Ubuntu I had problems with getting Wifi to work and also that the signal strength was less than with the standard Acer Linpus.
    I tried a few of them by downloading their .iso to my XP PC and using Netbootin to copy the .iso to a USB stick. You can then boot from the stick and try them without actually installing on the One. Once you find the version you like then install.

Why not just change the Acer desktop to the Xfce desktop as shown,

[attachment=0:11lp7hsb]MarinaScreen.png[/attachment:11lp7hsb]
    Everything works as original but Acer desktop gone.

solpuerto, May 19, 2009
  5. Geekgirl

groeswenphil

How do you do that?
    Phil

groeswenphil, May 19, 2009
  6. Geekgirl

Geekgirl

How do I do that? Looks really good!

Geekgirl, May 20, 2009
  7. Geekgirl

Geekgirl

Thanks everyone, so far I've downloaded Ubuntu Remix and plan to give that a try But I also like the idea of changing the desktop look. I had o idea you could do that!

Geekgirl, May 20, 2009
  8. Geekgirl

itres

itres, May 20, 2009
  9. Geekgirl

solpuerto

Hi Geekgirl and groeswenphil

I followed this post,
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4310

Not as daunting as it looks and well worth the effort.

solpuerto, May 20, 2009
  10. Geekgirl

libssd

Caroline,

I'm not a Unix newbie, although most of my experience is with applications on servers, with very little real sysadmin responsibilities. So the whole desktop Linux thing has been a learning experience for me since February. I'm no expert, but I'm not intimidated either, and overall, I find Linux easier to grok than Windows. Just about everything you need to know about installing Ubuntu is available at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Because it came with the AA1, I tried for months to cope with the eccentricities and limitations of Linpus, although eventually I got it to work more or less the way I wanted. But software installations were always a headache. The only good things I have to say about Linpus are that it comes with the machine, and it boots quickly. Acer support and documentation are execrable, and I wasted countless hours doing things like installing man pages (which should have been part of Linpus), and screwing around with the xml file that controls the Linpus desktop.

After acquiring an AA1 D150, I still wanted to use Linux, but I didn't want to throw Windows away -- despite my prejudices, there are some things that Windows is good for. ;) After trying, and failing multiple times to install Linpus on an SDHC card, I decided to look at other distributions, with Ubuntu coming highly recommended.

Working from a bootable USB (using unetbootin), I did test installs of Ubuntu, NBR, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu (all version 9.04, on an 8gb SDHC card), before settling on the standard Ubuntu desktop distribution. I formed an immediate distaste for the NBR desktop; the Xubuntu UI (based on xfce) reminded me too much of Linpus, and Kubuntu was a disaster: I hated the UI, it was very slow, and unstable (after suspend, I could not reawaken the machine, and had to pull the battery).

The thing that impresses me about Ubuntu is the professionalism of the installer and documentation, as well as the deep support available in the Ubuntu community. The Ubuntu installer is a gem, and greatly eased my nervousness about partitioning the HDD. The only issues I have encountered with Ubuntu 9.04 have been a non-working LED for the WiFi indicator, and the fact that it doesn't automatically suspend when I close the lid (but Linpus was flaky about this too). I resolved the LED issue by installing a new kernel -- a process that was immeasurably easier than installing anything from Acer's software update site. I was already suspending manually with Linpus (after opening a carrying case and finding that the machine was hot, hot, hot, and the battery nearly discharged because Linpus hadn't suspended properly when I closed the lid, and stuck it in the case), so I don't really consider auto-suspend to be a significant issue with Ubuntu compared to Linpus.

There are many Linux distributions available, but Ubuntu seems to be the most professionally supported, and is aimed at the end user, rather than the developer, even if it's not the fastest. Unix is inherently geeky (Jaunty Jackalope???), but that's part of its quirky charm. Having partaken of the Ubuntu Kool Ade, I'm an enthusiastic convert.

libssd, Jul 1, 2009
  11. Geekgirl

libssd

The PDF Edition of Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference by Keir Thomas is available entirely free of charge, and covers just about everything you need to know. It was written before 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) was released, but that's not significant. Wish I had known about this guide 6 months ago...

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html

libssd, Jul 3, 2009
Ask a Question