Installing Win7 using external DVD drive

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sanj, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Sanj

Sanj

Hi,

Sorry to ask a really simple question, but I seem to be stuck. Basically I received my Win7 DVD today and I wanted to put it on my A150. So I booted from USB DVD drive and got up to the partition screen:

Windows cannot be installed on this partion because it is not formatted as NTFS. --> I get this message for the two partitions which show ( a 110gb one called system and a 1 gb one called 'primary'??).

the only option which I am able to select is Delete, which brings a warning message that everything will be deleted. Is this what I need to do and will it then give me an option to format as NTFS.

I did not want to delete in case I lost even the basic bios and ended up with a dead netbook.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long 1st post

Thanks in advance.

Sanj, Oct 21, 2009
  2. Sanj

sdelliott31

If you Delete the 110 partition, then it should let you reformat in NTFS do a scan and then install the Win 7

sdelliott31, Oct 22, 2009
  3. Sanj

fauxpas

Delete it... You won't end up with a dead book. If the HDD dies for whatever ever reason at any time you can simply throw another in and install your OS of choice... So deleting it for a 7 install won't do anything bad, just a warning that you'll lose any unsaved stuff...

fauxpas, Oct 22, 2009
Ask a Question