INSTALLING WINDOWS XP FROM AN EXTERNAL HARDDISK

Discussion in 'Windows' started by steve maina, Mar 4, 2010.

1. steve maina

steve maina

Hi everyone!
    I just don't know if it is possible to install XP using an external hard disk on my acer aspire 1.Is it possible?

steve maina, Mar 4, 2010
  2. steve maina

vpnavy

In order to get the Netbook to boot externally, you have to get into BIOS. When you boot - a little message pop's up in the lower left corner with a Function Key (I can't remember what it was) to go into BIOS setup. Once you get into BIOS - their should be a parameter that allows you to specify the boot cycle look up - in otherwords, you can say boot from USB before you boot from internal Fixed Drive, etc.

vpnavy, Mar 4, 2010
  3. steve maina

Swarvey Moderator

In order to be able to boot and install from an external hard disk, it must first be formatted as bootable. Easiest way is to attach it to another computer already running windows, right click on the drive, format it, and use the option to "copy system files" while formatting. This will give you a bootable disk. (Thumb drives are different, but you said external hard disk in the OP). Now copy the contents of your XP CD to the newly formatted external hard drive.

Now you can tell the computer to boot from USB media and it now can thanks to the format. Once it's booted into the Windows 98 CMD environment (i think it still uses that one lols) you should be able to navigate to your external drive, and run the installation from there.

Hope this helps

Swarvey, Mar 4, 2010
Ask a Question