installing wine 1.1.1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by james3, Jul 25, 2008.

1. james3

james3

I need to install wine 1.1.1 on my Linpus but i really don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me ??

thanks

Alex

james3, Jul 25, 2008
  2. james3

AspireOne

I have also installed Wine and it works fine with my Apsire One.
    Follow These Steps:

1. Unlock the Advanced Desktop by using this topic: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28
    2. Right mousclick on the desktop > System > Click on 'Add/Remove Software'
    3. You must enter the password that you have entered by installing Aspire One
    4. Retrieving Software Information...
    5. Go in the above tabs to 'Search'
    6. Enter in the search line 'Wine' > Click 'Search'
    7. Click everthing about wine with version number 1.0
    Like 'Wine-core - 1.0-1.fc8-I386'... And then everything with that version number
    8.Click on 'Apply' and he is installing and if you are right you get Successfully installed
    9 You can find wine under: Rightclick on desktop > Other > Wine

I am sorry but it doesn't has version 1.1

You can install applications by clicking right on the .exe file > Open with other application... > Custom command... > and open wine from your home folder (I thought it was: Disk:\Home\User\.Wine... But I'm not sure)

AspireOne, Jul 26, 2008
  3. james3

BlackLagoon

Yeah, Linpus/Fedora Linux doesn't have any version of Wine past 1.0 available at the moment. If you want the most recent version, you'll have to download the source code and compile the program yourself. It's not that hard actually, I can list the commands you need if you want, but it will take a fair bit of time (an hour+ I expect) on a less powerful computer like the One, and probably eat up a few 100 megabytes of space.

BlackLagoon, Jul 26, 2008
  4. james3

Fuerst

I haven't managed to unlock my desktop. when I followed the advise, went to filemanager and then to Terminal, I can only see:

user@localhost Documents

I am beginning to hat Linux...... :mrgreen:

Fuerst, Sep 4, 2008
  5. james3

enolinux

Hi, Fuerst don't hate linux yet.

Maybe this can help

1. Press "Alt" + "F2"
    2. Type "terminal" on the "Run Program" window.
    3. A new terminal will pop up.
    4. On the new terminal type "sudo yum install wine" without the quote.
    5. You will be prompt for a password. Type in your password
    6. The system will check repositories for wine package and notice you packages to be install.
    7. Accept it by typing "y"
    8. You will have your wine soon after that.

Unfortunately this is the old version. If you need the latest you have to compile it from source. To compile from source you have to install compiler such as gcc, g++ etc.

To install compiler, you can use the same method mention above but replace "wine" with application you want to install.

Good luck.

enolinux, Sep 4, 2008
  6. james3

Guest Guest

installing any version of wine on AA1

Having problems getting the wine link and wine found let alone installed. I do know it exists because have looked at winehg.org on a real computer.

Here is what the AA1 gives me.

audit_log_user_command(): Connection refused
    [root@localhost home]# yum update fedora-release
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirror ... &arch=i386 error was
    [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (110, 'Connection timed out')>
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again
    [root@localhost home]#

I am connected to the internet at the time and cannot get to the search tab on program manager because the system cannot find the necessary repository (maybe needs a supository).

Any help for someone who is new to Linux and becoming increasingly frustrated with it would be most grateful.

Hutton

Guest, Sep 18, 2008
  7. james3

Grim Squeaker

Re: installing any version of wine on AA1

Are you certain ? If you cannot see websites or connect to repositories it does not seem that way...
    Can you see other websites on the One ?

If not - try rebooting your modem/router. Many need that if a new device is attached.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 18, 2008
  8. james3

Guest Guest

Can see the web and have done a Live Update in the same session as I've tried to install Wine. Seems that the package manager doesn't have the right repositories in its search list.

Times out in "retrieving software information" in package manager and I cannot get to the tabs to initiate a search.

What next? Is it because it is only searching the ticked repositories in the list? If so what should be in the list and what should be ticked? :?:

Guest, Sep 18, 2008
  9. james3

Wez

I cant find Wine 1.0.0 at all, all I see is 0.9.47... which doesnt work with Morrowind :(

Wez, Sep 28, 2008
  10. james3

admin_one

Hi

Please have some patience. Linux is a great operating system, you get used to the quirks and it grows on you.

Fedora had some problems with their repositories and changed their database and created a new encrpytion key to protect your computer.

Please do some research on this forum to find the solution. Then software will install correctly. I've installed and uninstalled lots of programs following the directions and How-To s that are on the forum.

You can do it, I'm sure of it...

Best,

admin_one, Sep 29, 2008
  11. james3

Fuerst

<hi,
    <i have tried to install according to instructions given here. worked fine and more or less automatically.
    thks to you all
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question