Installing XP on Linpus AspireOne?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by DiSK, Aug 27, 2008.

1. DiSK

DiSK

I've got the 120GB HDD, 512 RAM Linpus AspireOne.

Just wondering how I would dual boot XP and Linpus. Still haven't found a good guide.

Also, how do you install XP onto an external hard drive/USB drive? I've seen some people saying they have, but again, no guides. And I'm talking about installing XP onto the external drive, not booting the XP install from it.

Thanks everyone.

DiSK, Aug 27, 2008
  2. DiSK

mazade

From what I can tell about Linpus, it doesn't exactly play well with others... that is, if you're trying to partition the 120GB drive and dual boot from the same drive. The Linpus recovery disk/program has a preference to take the whole drive.. not even paying attention to partitions or anything. Unless there is some way to do "active" partition editing(while the device is mounted & in use) I'm pretty lost on that too.
    XP on USB drive: No experience with that.. but my thoughts are... if you got a numerous GB usb drive(4GB+) and should it happen to be a usb stick you'd use the HP bootable usb maker utility and put a fat32 dos disk image onto it, copy the xp install files onto it and then boot to it and install xp from it and ONTO itself... that works well with regular HDD's so I don't see why it wouldn't go so well with USB devices.. except for the slower write & thusly install time...

mazade, Aug 28, 2008
  3. DiSK

mazade

mazade, Aug 28, 2008
  4. DiSK

DiSK

Thanks, but I don't want BartPE. That's not really XP. It's more like a recovery thing.

I'm trying the Ngine method, at the same time, I'm trying to boot the install from USB...Don't know if that's what's conflicting with the install. I can't seem to format the external drive properly. I've tried the HP USB Format, PEToUSB, nothing works.

DiSK, Aug 28, 2008
  5. DiSK

mazade

Well if you've got it formatted to fat32, have it setup to boot off of and then have the install files copied onto it.. I wouldn't concern myself at all with trying to format the drive using the XP installer.. I actally doubt that XP would allow you the option even. From what limited understanding I have of USB devices there are certain sticks(whether its brand/model dependent I don't know) that are somehow incapable of being made bootable.. something in their "simple" circuitry.
    what brand/type of usb stick do you have? Check around for reviews and stuff, maybe. Bah, I'm sorry; maybe I should have just asked if you can even boot off of it after using the HP usb formatter.

mazade, Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question