Internal mobile Broadband issue

Discussion in 'Linux' started by pjn100, Oct 22, 2009.

1. pjn100

pjn100

I can't get aspire one with Ubuntu to make a 3G connection when I insert my sim card into the slot behind the battery. It sets up OK with the wizard but never actually makes a connection. Any thoughts?

pjn100, Oct 22, 2009
  2. pjn100

qlue

Are you running Ubuntu Netbook Remix or the vanilla flavour Jaunty?
    Either way, you should be able to set it to auto-connect in the network manager.
    Check that you can connect with that sim card in another device. (your mobile phone for e.g.)
    You might need to get your service provider to activate internet access for that sim.
    You may also need custom settings to allow access (again, check with your service provider)
    :)

qlue, Oct 23, 2009
  3. pjn100

schizo

I have been unable to get any *buntu version to recognize the Qualcomm 9212 GOBI 3G modem built into my AA1.
    Hopefully the latest release of kuki has addressed this issue.
    http://kuki.me/

schizo, Nov 3, 2009
  4. pjn100

schizo

Service provider shipped the machine with WinXP, thus no linux support...
    It's up to some benevolent developer(s) to get this Qualcomm GOBI modem working.

schizo, Nov 3, 2009
  5. pjn100

longjohn412

They still aren't initializing this properly ....

In windows if you boot into the system with the 3G enabled you can't get it to connect properly either. You have to turn it off and back on again ... It's when you turn the switch on that it calls the loader program which is always running in the background as a Service ... This is probably why sometimes when you boot to Windows first and reboot into Linux it works and sometimes it doesn't .... You can confirm the operation of the loader by turning the Qualcomm Gobi Loader Service off in Services, opening up the Device Manager in Windows and switch the 3G on and off .... when you turn it on you have a 9211 serial port and no modem .... Now turn the 3G switch off, start the Loader Service and turn the 3G switch back on and it loads the code and initializes a 9212 ethernet adapter, a modem and two serial ports

So basically they need a hook in the network manager that tells Gobi Loader to execute when it senses the switch go on and perhaps have Gobi Loader running as a Service ... The ironic part of all this is the two programs it loads are written in Embedded Linux so that must be what the ARM computer in the Gobi chipset runs

This all reminds me of the old Winmodem days in the 90's when most still had dialup access and most modems preinstalled in computers wouldn't work in Linux for similar reasons

All I can say is they better get a team on it because these Gobi cards are going to be the de facto standard for netbooks and laptops in about a year because it means manufacturers will need only one modem for worldwide service AND sales instead of multiple cards for two completely different services and different country's frequency bands .... All the Panasonic Toughbooks are going to use them (Many already are) because of their worldwide capabilities and built-in GPS capabilities which Acer (and HP) really needs to support like Lenovo, Panasonic, and Dell do using the exact same card ....

longjohn412, Dec 7, 2009
Ask a Question