internet access

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ardaloe, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ardaloe

ardaloe

I'm relatively new when it comes to computers. I received my Aspire two days ago and like it very much. However, I find the User Manual woefully lacking in "How-to" information. It took me quite a while to figure out how to activate the webcam. And, I still can't figure out how to access the internet. I'm led to believe it's a one button activation but everything I've tried doesn't work. Is there something else I need to do this?

ardaloe, Jan 15, 2009
  2. ardaloe

boatman1

Visually easy to tell if the internet wifi is active-- if the light is on it is active, it blinks when sending and receiving-- push the switch on the front to the right(it will snap back) to turn it on or off.

boatman1, Jan 15, 2009
  3. ardaloe

donec

First off you don't say anything about which version AAO you got.
    As for Internet access I would try and open the browser and go to one of the search engines and do a search if you can do a search then you are online.

donec, Jan 15, 2009
  4. ardaloe

ardaloe

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't make my question detailed enough. I can get on the internet when plugged into my computer, but I wanted to get on the internet from remote locations, such as the local Starbucks. The commercials I've seen for this unit show a guy wandering all over the place and getting on the internet. I just can't figure out how to do it.

My Acer is the Aspire One 150-1570

ardaloe, Jan 16, 2009
  5. ardaloe

donec

I run Mandriva 2009 Gnome and I have used Schlotzsky, Starbuck and Thunder Cloud Subs. The thing you need to know is which of the available in the area is available for your use. I just right click on the network icon and select the network I want to try to connect to and if it ask for a password I know I have to use a different one. I quit using Linpus quite some time ago so I am not sure how it would work for Linpus but for Ubuntu it will be very similar to Mandriva. Good luck.

donec, Jan 16, 2009
  6. ardaloe

dobsy

I've just got rid of Limux and installed XP and not sure how i connect now. The slider thing at the front doesn't do anything now like it did on Linux. Where do i go in XP to get my wireless finding available connections? Usually I thought I would have had the little tele's by the clock telling me of my status but nothing.
    I've done a diagnostics and it says this machine doesn't have any installed network adaptors. Help!
    Thanks in advance.

dobsy, Jan 19, 2009
  7. ardaloe

donec

Sounds like you need to get the drivers.

donec, Jan 20, 2009
  8. ardaloe

dobsy

How?
    Download them on another computer onto a flash drive? If so, download them from where?
    Cheers

dobsy, Jan 20, 2009
  9. ardaloe

donec

Yes.
    A search of this forum for "Windows drivers" gave me the following link which has links to the drivers. http://www.aspireoneguide.com/

donec, Jan 20, 2009
Ask a Question