Internet connection problem-Firefox or Linpus?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by nadali, Jun 6, 2009.

1. nadali

nadali

Yesterday I bought an Aspire One ZG5, solid-state storage with Linpus OS and Firefox browser. In the store it was set up for wireless connection to the net and worked fine. At home using ethernet cable instead thru our Netcomm router we are having great problems connecting, almost always ending up with a Server Not Found message. But for a few sites where I use numerical IP addresses I get thru fine. If I use the URL instead then the Server not found message again. For those IP numerical addresses that fail there still seems to be correct translation by a DNS server? as the error message quotes the URL eg Firefox can't find the server at www.scu.edu.au. Any suggestions as to where the problem lies and how to overcome?

Sorry if this is wrong place, but no-one at home on Internet forum.

nadali, Jun 6, 2009
  2. nadali

DonQuichote

I would say that this is your network router.

If you woke the computer up after being part of another network, it may have problems because the settings are still pointing to the previous network. In that case, open a terminal and restart the network driver:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    Prepend the word "sudo" if you are denied permission.
    You open a terminal with CTRL+ALT+F1 and go back to the graphical screen with CTRL+ALT+F7

DonQuichote, Jun 6, 2009
  3. nadali

nadali

Thanks DonQuichote. I got thru to the Terminal from File Manager where there was a prompt [user@localhost home]$ and typed in

/etc/init.d/networking restart
    but got response
    bash: /etc/init.d/networking: No such file or directory.

At the new prompt I then typed

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

which was then responded to with

sudo: /etc/init.d/networking: command not found
    audit_log_usercommand(): Connection refused

Sorry as you can see I am not familiar with Linux

nadali, Jun 6, 2009
  4. nadali

rbil

Maybe try: sudo /etc/init.d/network restart

Not at my AAO now, so can't check it out.

Cheers.

rbil, Jun 6, 2009
  5. nadali

DonQuichote

Hmm. I am not very familiar with Linpus. When I bought my AA1, I searched for two full hours where I could find the graphical terminal. After that, I gave up and installed Xubuntu. If surprises me that you get a file-not-found message. Maybe somebody more familiar with Linpus can help here?

DonQuichote, Jun 6, 2009
  6. nadali

nadali

Some progress. I decided to bypass "obtain the IP address automatically (DHCP) and instead use static addresses Connection Manager. I knew the IP address assigned by the router as 192.168.1.4 and used the default subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and Default gateway (192.168.1.1) from an ipconfig/all on another Windows machine on the same network. I also used the 2 DNS servers from there as well (220.233.0.4 & 220.233.0.3). This seems to have done the trick and I can now access all web pages on the internet. We're not there entirely as the DNS servers should have been assigned by DHCP automatically. So somewhat cumbersome to keep looking up the IP address as machines come and go from the network.

The address of the name server used by the AspireOne was given in resolv.conf as 192.168.1.1, which is the gateway address not a DNS server. So now on to investigate this.

nadali, Jun 8, 2009
Ask a Question