Interpid Ibex Ultra-mobile PC USB image

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mrs_miggins, Oct 30, 2008.

1. mrs_miggins

larsll

I installed the ultra-mobile. Not entirely sure what the big difference is. The image is a notch smaller (540MB vs. 720 for normal desktop), the desktop-layout is different (but who wants LARGER menu and sidebar on a 9" screen?), there is a feature that removes the frame from maximized windows that doesn't really work, and that is it.

I had hoped for the LPIA architecture, but that is not available. Does anybody know how to get standard Inptrepid with LPIA architecure?

larsll, Oct 31, 2008
  2. mrs_miggins

clairvaux

Is this thing configured to run off SSD without causing needless wear and tear through indexing/journaling/etc ?

clairvaux, Nov 1, 2008
  3. mrs_miggins

zaphod

People with big fingers using touchscreen UMPCs ;)

My understanding of this version of Ubuntu is that it targets touchscreen use, hence the virtual keyboard in the top toolbar.

zaphod, Nov 1, 2008
  4. mrs_miggins

lotus49

Rather strangely I can't get this to boot at all.

I am an old hand at booting from USB sticks - I must have installed OSs to USB sticks successfully about a hundred times but for some reason this isn't working. I have tried two different USB sticks, both of which I have previously booted from on my One without any problem. I have tried using the imagewriter prog and dd. My bootable USB backup of main main Intrepid installation still works fine so I am rather baffled.

Am I right in concluding from the discussion above, that everyone else has booted this without problem?

lotus49, Nov 1, 2008
  5. mrs_miggins

larsll

Yes, makes sense. Well, MID-LPIA here I come. Let's see if I can get the LPIA based kernel to work, and then change to a different window manager. Problem with the LPIA based architecture is that it is a complete separate architecture, so it will be interesting to see how many binary packages are available.

larsll, Nov 1, 2008
  6. mrs_miggins

Andysan

Yup, i too have downloaded both ubuntu-8.10-rc-mid-lpia.img and ubuntu-8.10-rc-mobile-i386.img and can't write either to USB with UNetbootin. This i perhaps understand as the files are .img and not .iso, but when i burn the image files via mny usual method my One won't boot it.

Interestingly, I've burnt two 8.10 CD's and neither boot (well, boots but fails before desktop) yet made two thumbdrives from the same ISO and they both boot fine! Has anyone tried creating a persistent USB disk from within Ubuntu via System > Administration > Create a USB startup disk bytheway?

Still got Linny on my One - not decided what to switch to yet - gOS, Fedora, Ubuntu Intrepid, Ubuntu Hardy, EEE Ubuntu... anyone sometimes think that Linux's biggest positive is also its biggest negative?

Andysan, Nov 1, 2008
  7. mrs_miggins

dr3as

I needed to use the dd command to make bootable usbdrives.

dr3as, Nov 1, 2008
  8. mrs_miggins

larsll

larsll, Nov 1, 2008
  9. mrs_miggins

cachorropedorro

How do I make the usb boot version through windows? I don't have any pc's with linux.

cachorropedorro, Nov 1, 2008
  10. mrs_miggins

larsll

So, all, first impressions of the mid-lpia image.

The problem that was reported earlier is due to the DPI being totally wrong in X. That makes fonts even bigger than they were initially supposed to be. Fix is to go into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and make it:

Code:
    Section "Device"
            [...]
    	Option		"NoDDC" 
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
            [...]
    	DisplaySize 195 113 
    EndSection

Save. Press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to reset X11, and proceed with installing Ubuntu.

After installing Ubuntu MID onto your storage device of choice you need to upgrade it to something more useful. In other words get the proper Ubuntu desktop installed. This can be done easily:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    This will make your Aspire One hum for quite a while while everything is installed. I think mine said something about installing around 900MB of additional sofware. Once done you will be able to follow the standard tweaking guidelines for the Aspire One. Do note that the ath5k drivers are not available for lpia architecture, so you have to install the madwifi drivers.

After doing all the tweaking it does seem like the system is reporting 20-30 minutes more battery time available. Let's see what the real results are after using the system for a while!

larsll, Nov 1, 2008
  11. mrs_miggins

daga

I'm trying to boot the umpc version but it gets stuck while loading casper/vmlinuz. Does anybody else have this problem?

daga, Nov 2, 2008
  12. mrs_miggins

solman

if you mean the status bar that scrolls on the screen, then yeah, mine gets stuck there too.

solman, Nov 2, 2008
  13. mrs_miggins

FireSoul

how to make it persistent ?

FireSoul, Nov 2, 2008
  14. mrs_miggins

daga

Have you found a solution for this?

daga, Nov 2, 2008
  15. mrs_miggins

larsll

How to install? It is on the Preferences menu, as Install.

larsll, Nov 2, 2008
  16. mrs_miggins

FireSoul

^ ^ ^
    i don't want to install i am pretty up happy with linpus now ... so i am using a usb to load ipex umpc ... but it is a live version i can't make it persistant live ( saving changes )i did it simply with the normal version of ibex using this website

www.pendrivelinux.com

any one can help please ??

FireSoul, Nov 3, 2008
  17. mrs_miggins

adil

Caution: I tried running the umpc image from a flash disk. It hosed my AAO. The power light turns on, fans spin and nothing else.
    -adil

adil, Nov 3, 2008
  18. mrs_miggins

DAVIJU

Im running my AAO 150 (with XP pre-installed) with dual boot XP+Ubuntu 8.10 umpc and have no problems to make the installation of Ubuntu. I just installed a program to burn usb image files in a USB stick (mine is EMTEC 16gb) and all worked very well.

The only thing is need to download atheros5k drivers for wireless and unable the ubuntu atheros driver by defect.

DAVIJU, Nov 4, 2008
  19. mrs_miggins

lroy12

does this boot faster or use less resources even after you install ubuntu desktop?

lroy12, Nov 4, 2008
  20. mrs_miggins

jisaac

Hi,

I did not install the ubuntu-desktop package but I reconfigure everything to get the same look. Everything work smoothly and faster for me. The feeling is better using, opening and closing any apps (for example, there is not so much delays when closing apps).

The boot time is really similar to the 8.10 desktop edition. I'm trying the N270 optimized kernel, it looks very good with a nice boot time: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5517

jisaac, Nov 4, 2008
Ask a Question