Intrepid Ibex (8.10) 3D Performance (GLXGEARS)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Hans, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Hans

Hans

I've installed XUbuntu (8.10) on an EEEPC 701 (E701), and on an Acer Aspire One (AAO). To my surprise, GLX gears reports a lower FPS score for the AAO. I went back and installed 8.04 on the AAO, and got better numbers (marginally better than the E701). Has anyone else seen similar results? If no one has any ideas, I'll try to post a bug to Launchpad. (8.10 glxgears score: 365 fps). (8.04 glxgears score: 450 fps)

Hans

Hans, Oct 23, 2008
  2. Hans

annafil

This is a known bug, in fact there have been a couple posted for Ubuntu already. I have the same issue as you, except that mine is even lower :) about 300 fps MAX.

The problem isn't in the intel driver, surprisingly. The problem is with the xorg/mesa/dri stuff itself in Ubuntu - it stopped recognizing the "export INTEL_BATCH=1" option we've all been using to squeeze out some performance. It could very well be upstream (meaning xorg people have to fix it).

That said, except for opengl games, on intrepid it doesn't make significant difference. Maybe compiz will be a bit slower, i know the KDE4 compositing manager runs very nicely. And videos play smooth so I've learned to live with it.

annafil, Oct 23, 2008
  3. Hans

Hans

Ok, thanks. Looking over the bug reports, it looks like it is broken, and there is no clear idea when it will be fixed. That's too bad, because 3D is pretty important to me.

Sigh.

Hans, Oct 24, 2008
  4. Hans

annafil

I know.. I'm trying to get it bumped up in priority. It's so close to the final release my hopes are slim at best, but it would be a shame if this didn't work well for the stable.

annafil, Oct 28, 2008
  5. Hans

tshawkins

Fedora 10 installs the same xorg and drivers, but achives a score of about 580fps in glxgears, fedora is not suitable for other resaons, but even without compiz the whole system feels much snappier ..

tshawkins, Oct 28, 2008
  6. Hans

annafil

Thanks for the tip!

I wonder what the difference is, 500, though heaps better is still lower than usual. I've read in mailing list somewhere that they rewrote the engine that does the rendering, so that could be why we're not getting the full speeds...

Is the xorg.conf set to defaults? ie is the graphics portion being autodetected by X or have you made changes?

annafil, Oct 28, 2008
  7. Hans

Stickee

Just upgraded to Intrepid and I too notice this feeling sluggish compared to Hardy. I'm averaging about 350 fps in glxgears. Not sure what it was in Hardy - but it sure felt a lot faster. :|

Stickee, Nov 20, 2008
  8. Hans

annafil

I have managed to bump up my fps significantly on Intrepid by adding the following commands to /etc/rc.local

Code:
    echo "disable=7" >/proc/mtrr
    echo "disable=6" >/proc/mtrr
    echo "disable=5" >/proc/mtrr
    echo "disable=4" >/proc/mtrr
    echo "base=0x40000000 size=0x10000000 type=write-combining" > /proc/mtrr

Its something about allocation of shared memory to the graphics card that isn't giving us the best performance we can get. That has made it better for me... If this works for someone else too, I'll throw it up as a separate thread

annafil, Nov 20, 2008
  9. Hans

Stickee

Thanks for this, I've managed to get in the 590s with this change.

Stickee, Nov 20, 2008
  10. Hans

annafil

sweet, glad that helped! :) will probably put this up as a separate thread later in a howto

annafil, Nov 20, 2008
  11. Hans

torpor

Hi,

I tried to put these commands in my rc.local and everything works except the last line "echo 0x4000... type=write-combining" &etc.

The message: "echo: write error: Invalid argument" is returned. Any idea what could be wrong here?

torpor, Nov 26, 2008
Ask a Question