Intrepid Ibex

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fuzz, Sep 11, 2008.

1. fuzz

charly

Yup, same here. i set up a connection and the password gets messed up. Strange thing is it does work some times and then for no reason it just quits working the next time i boot up :?

charly, Nov 1, 2008
  2. fuzz

tshawkins

In the later versions of the 8.10 kernel, the ath5k module in the kernel was disabled as it was unstable, so the backports approarch is the only way to get that module back again, Interestingly the backports version of the module seems to be more stable than the original in-kernel version.

tshawkins, Nov 1, 2008
  3. fuzz

craggsy

I ran the system update last wednesday, it said system was updated so I shut down and haven't used my AAO till today, now before the beta was running fine, wireless and wired both working. Now wireless doesn't work and the wired says it is connected but no websites or anything load, and it doesn't show up connected on my router. I have jsut restarted it, and now it says there are no network devices. Any ideas on how I can fix this ?

Adam

craggsy, Nov 4, 2008
  4. fuzz

seismicmenace

I have to say I'm a little bit puzzled:

I have installed Xubuntu 8.10 via UNetbootin, but NetworkManager failed to connect, though it produced the message"wired network auto-eth0 connected".
    ifup failed with an "unknown interface eth0=eth0" error. Wireless was not recognized at all

With 8.04 there were no problems whatsoever.

Anybody experienced similar issues??

Edit: Sounds quite similar to craggy's problem actually. Maybe a driver hickup in the latest version?

Edit2: After Surfing the web for hours i didnt't come up with a solution, but I am pretty sure that the driver module (called "r6281" or something) is malfunctioning, at least the outputs of lspci,lsmod and iwconfig as well the stuf I have pieced together from various forums point in that direction.

seismicmenace, Nov 5, 2008
  5. fuzz

Andysan

I've installed the backports modules and all was working fine, until i booted up earlier tonight and wireless or wired wouldn't work. No error message or anything, just wouldn't connect. Interstingly, when i checked, network manager kept changing my WPA key after i'd entered it, and the ath5k driver was activated. Still didn't explain why wired was busted. I hadn't made any recent modifcations to anything.

I took the battery out, let rest for ten minutes and popped it back in. All has worked fine ever since. :?: :| :shock: :?

Andysan, Nov 17, 2008
  6. fuzz

lotus49

My sound capture problems are one of my last two issues (the other being suspend). When I use Skype, the captured sound is choppy. When I use Sound Recorder I get horrible interference-type noise but certainly not the correct sound.

lotus49, Nov 17, 2008
  7. fuzz

warwon

Make it easy switch to ubuntu netbook remix!

warwon, Nov 17, 2008
  8. fuzz

stealthbanana

I am using ndiswrapper for wifi, seems to be a lot more stable after hibernate / suspend and the led works.

stealthbanana, Nov 17, 2008
  9. fuzz

businessteam

Andysan,
    I have had the similar issue. If you would boot up AA1 with AC power plugged, then it would work without any issues. However without the AC power (while on batter) it would constantly ask for password/key whatsoever. Here's how I fixed it.
    Basically, just blacklist ath_pci. Add this to the bottom of this file: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Code:
    # No more games
    ath_pci
    Also, look here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6888&start=10#p45690

businessteam, Nov 19, 2008
  10. fuzz

Andysan

Hi businessteam, welcome to the boards!

Thanks, i'd forogtten to do that in my excitement! Why does it affect the ethernet though, itsn't it just a wireless driver?

Cheers!

Andysan, Nov 19, 2008
  11. fuzz

businessteam

Oh, sorry, it should be:
    Code:
    # No more games
    blacklist ath_pci
    Well, in my case, it is for wireless, nothing to do with ethernet though.

businessteam, Nov 19, 2008
  12. fuzz

jango

Does it suspend/resume works with /home on left SDHC????

jango, Nov 19, 2008
  13. fuzz

djt205

Mine does! I've suspended / resumed / hibernated about 40 times today and it's not missed a beat. The only changes with my One are the Wifi card, which I replaced with an Intel 3945ABG and I also re-compiled the kernel with CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME :)

It's rockin'

djt205, Nov 20, 2008
  14. fuzz

jango

How can I do it????

jango, Nov 20, 2008
  15. fuzz

djt205

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7090

It's in here bud, good luck.

djt205, Nov 21, 2008
  16. fuzz

N6546R

N6546R, Nov 21, 2008
  17. fuzz

dirk1965

Posted this before in the hardware section but I'm guessing it's more a driver problem.
    I recently changed my AA1 to Ubuntu and al is working fine, or should I say was, until yesterday. I noticed the built in mic wasn't recording anything so I fiddled around with sound settings a bit but now it seems I can't get anymore sound out of the soundcard. At startup I can still hear the little sound when I have to type my username but afterwards, sound is completely dead. The Totem movieplayer won't start up either because of a sound problem.
    In sound preferences everything is set to "autodetect" but when I try to test sound I get an error message: audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument. Then afterwards the sounds preferences window freezes along with the error message.
    I guess perhaps I should reinstall the driver for the soundcard but I'm not sure how to do this. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

dirk1965, Nov 22, 2008
  18. fuzz

fuzz

@scottro
    Thanks mate, that filled in most of the gaps for me :)

I left my AAO to do an upgrade, which ended up taking about 12 hours, it all works still after the upgrade (as well as it did), but for some reason playing video files seems to hang after about 20 mins (screen goes blank, audio keeps playing), but I think I'll do a clean install and try a custom kernel as well as soon as I get a free afternoon.

fuzz, Nov 24, 2008
  19. fuzz

niem102

Hey I'm a bit of a Linux n00b. I installed Ubuntu 8.10 via Wubi a couple days ago and now I'm dual booting XP and Ubuntu (and hopefully I can switch it over to a dedicated partition later, as well as possibly making a shared partition between the 2). Anyways, I cannot figure out how to get the wireless to work. I read through this thread and a thread on the Ubuntu forums trying to figure it out. I'm seeing some mixed solutions between Madwifi and ath5k drivers. I tried the ath5k driver, but I'm not sure if I'm following it right.
    To install it, I tried opening a terminal and typing "sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic". It then prompted me for my password, which I gave it, and it gave me some kind of error saying it could not find it. I tried a few times, but no luck. I also could not figure out how to blacklist ath_pci; when I typed that in a terminal, it said it didn't recognize that command or something like that. Does anyone know where I might be going wrong? Do I need to be hooked up to the internet via Ethernet while I do this? Any help or How To would be greatly appreciated! :D

niem102, Nov 29, 2008
  20. fuzz

spinnekopje

Make sure there arent any adjustments left in files concerning the wifi. Connect your AA1 to internet using a cable. Then type the line from above, or use synaptic package manager to install. Once installed you can go to the restricted drivers window (system settings) and enable the ath5k driver and disable possible other ones (I think there is 1 other). Reboot if it asks to do so and it should be working. (if you don't like to reboot: sudo modprobe ath5k might also do the trick).

I use madwifi myself, but I might change to ath5k in the future. You can find more about the link between the 2 drivers on the internet.

spinnekopje, Nov 29, 2008
Ask a Question