Intrepid Ibex

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fuzz, Sep 11, 2008.

1. fuzz

RockDoctor

Here's what I've done in Fedora. My Fedora install is on /dev/sda5. I do not know if all is necessary.
    1. in /boot/grub/grub.conf:
    kernel <path-to-vmlinuz > ro root=/dev/sda5 pciehp=1

2. in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
    /sbin/modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1

3. do this as root from a terminal and reboot:
    modprobe mmc_block
    modprobe sdhci

RockDoctor, Oct 4, 2008
  2. fuzz

acarya

Namaste everyone!

I currently await the delivery of my Acer Aspire One. I will be getting the WinXP Home version with 1GB RAM and the 120GB HDD. I currently am running an old AMD AthlonXP system with XP Pro dual-boot for certain online coursework websites that are not **nix and firefox 3 friendly.

I already have the Intrepid 8.10 beta burned to CDR and ready to go... I have been running Ubuntu since Feisty on both laptops and desktops. I have done my share of recompiling and tweaking, so I will be glad to report on my results and borrow ideas from folks on here as well!

I choose Ubuntu for their philosophy and their approach. If everyone took a cooperative approach to everything like the Ubuntu community does with their software (and other linux distros, I assume), the world would be a much better place!

acarya, Oct 5, 2008
  3. fuzz

lotus49

I was having this problem as well, albeit with a WPA network. After an update to network-manager earlier today this problem has gone away and my One is now remembering the WPA password and connecting automatically.

lotus49, Oct 5, 2008
  4. fuzz

lotus49

Number 2 on its own was enough to get mine working. I added the line:

pciehp pciehp_force=1

to /etc/modules rather than adding the modprobe command to rc.local and it now appears to work fine. Thanks.

lotus49, Oct 5, 2008
  5. fuzz

jbernardo

Yes - "pciehp pciehp_force=1" does the trick. Both the left hand and the right hand reader now work even when I don't have a card inserted at boot. And since the Petaramesh kernel has the jmb38x_ms module built, I can now read MS on the right hand card too.

Now all that I need to be perfectly happy with my AA1 is to have it boot as fast to kde 4.x as with linpus, as the internal mic works after adding "options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1 model=acer" to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.

jbernardo, Oct 5, 2008
  6. fuzz

2manydjs

@jbernando

Wow I guess those were the last two issues with hardware support!
    What kind of boot time do you have? And how long does your battery last?

2manydjs, Oct 5, 2008
  7. fuzz

jbernardo

The battery lasts something like 2h30-2h50. I haven't timed the boot time lately, but I'd put it at about 30-40 secs.
    I forgot, I added a file in /etc/pm/config.d with the line 'SUSPEND_MODULES="snd-hda-intel ath_pci"', and since then I haven't had any problems with wifi or sound not working after a suspend.

Another small problem I have right now is that power management (be it guidance-powermanager or powerdevil) won't turn off the screen completely. But that might be some part of KDE 4.x power support that isn't working yet.

Ok, after timing the boot and shutdown times:
    Boot into desktop - 1 minute
    Boot into fully usable desktop (wifi connected, etc.) - 1m40s
    Shutdown - 40s
    And that is with petameresh kernel, and the paralel scripts fixes.

jbernardo, Oct 5, 2008
  8. fuzz

N6546R

I've noticed that with Ibex B1 and Petaramesh's kernel, ath_pci somtimes has trouble completing a DHCP handshake. The symptom is that the wifi card connects to the acccess point, but no IP addres is assigned. The ath5k driver operates correctly.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 5, 2008
  9. fuzz

soleblaze

So far from what I've seen, in 8.04 when I use a lot of bandwidth over the wireless my wifi drops and I have to reconnect (it won't tell me it drops either, it just stops working). In 8.10 I have horrible speeds, but haven't seen it drop yet. I'm starting to think about replacing the wifi card.

soleblaze, Oct 6, 2008
  10. fuzz

rachel

i've seen it drop on trying to do a large fetch on intrepid, as well as on hardy. This is despite their using different drivers. (on hardy, the madwifi ath_pci driver, on intrepid, the included ath5k driver).

It seems to happen less often with intrepid though, but it does happen. :-(

rachel, Oct 6, 2008
  11. fuzz

boondock

Please, please, please help! I'm about ready to pull my hair out.

Here's my problem. I just got my AAO (160GB/6 Cell/Brown), and wanted XP off and wanted to try Ubuntu. Went with Hardy first, but now tried with Ibex. I simply cannot get wireless to work...at all...ever.

After install, I followed the directions from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne exactly. I did update/upgrade, grabbed madwifi, did make/make install/etc. Proprietary driver is disabled, even tried blacklisting ath_pci. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Whenever I go into 'Network Tools', the network devices are loopback, ethernet interface (eth0), unknown interface (wmaster0), and wireless interface (wlan0). Whenever I select wlan0, the interface information all says 'not available'. Not sure if that helps or not.

I'm completely new to Ubuntu (or any Linux distro), so I have no clue what the hell I'm doing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

boondock, Oct 7, 2008
  12. fuzz

jbernardo

You need to blacklist ath5k, not ath_pci. If it still doesn't work, do a shutdown instead of a reboot, and wait some time before powering on.

jbernardo, Oct 7, 2008
  13. fuzz

Guest Guest

I've just installed it using a flash drive, a livecd iso and netbootn. I couldn't get the netboot images to work off flash or PXE (strangely, the hardy ones worked, so I guess the boot images are stuffed).

Anyway, so far it's not bad. It only took a little bit of playing around to get wifi working, but I only had to blacklist ath_pci and let ath5k do its thing. Much easier than hardy where I had to install a bunch of dev stuff and compile from source. Some say blacklisting ath5k also works, but it didn't for me (maybe it requires a rebuild too).

Anyway, only two problems remain. Sound doesn't work unless I manually restart PulseAudio (and no luck with a mic yet), and all OpenGL apps look something like this:
    [attachment=0:3785g3n5]screenshot-2.jpg[/attachment:3785g3n5]

I haven't tested a great deal outside of that, but so far it appears stable.

Also, the netbook remix stuff is in the official apt repository - you don't need to install from PPA (note that ume-launcher has been renamed to netbook-launcher).

So, anyone else getting graphic glitches? I'm running latest BIOS too.

Guest, Oct 7, 2008
  14. fuzz

craggsy

Well 8.04 went tits up, so i tried to install 8.10 beta downloaded three different copies but non of them would write to cd. So I reinstalled 9.04 and left it to upgrade to 8.10. Everything is working perfectly no need to install any drivers or anything. It does seem a little darker than heron, though that might just be me. All in all I'm very happy with this. :D

craggsy, Oct 8, 2008
  15. fuzz

picasso

How did you upgrade? Via aptget?

picasso, Oct 8, 2008
  16. fuzz

craggsy

Upgrading from Ubuntu 8.04

To upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '8.10' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/beta

craggsy, Oct 8, 2008
  17. fuzz

craggsy

Ok I know this is a beta release, and in the main everything I need works. Two issues though.

Sound works on startup (login sounds play) however I get no sound through youtube etc or when I try to test any of the system sounds. However when I get Open Arena working I have sounds :?

Secondly the drivers are the same on both 8,10 and 8.04 however I have less display options (only two resolutions), and when I try to start Open Arena it just goes back to desktop. I can't move the cursor however I can ctr alt del and log out. The strangest part of this is that it works after one or two crashes followed by a log out then in. I'm not sure if this is a driver issue or something else.

So any help would be great, also what video driver should I be using, at the moment I have the intel xorg one (I think :lol: ).

I am going to download the latest 8.0 version of Open Arena to see how that works. Everything else in video works, once OA loads all is well its just loading it lol.

Cheers

Adam

craggsy, Oct 8, 2008
  18. fuzz

boondock

Working now. Thanks!

boondock, Oct 9, 2008
  19. fuzz

aaoremix

Alright I appear to have everything working, but how am I supposed to get netbook-launcher & maximus to start by default on startup?

aaoremix, Oct 9, 2008
  20. fuzz

craggsy

Ok I sorted the sound, tho this open arena thing is weird. It seems that there is a x11 initialization failure, though I have no idea why it works after you log back in :shock: Any ideas ?

craggsy, Oct 9, 2008
Ask a Question