Intrepid Ibex

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fuzz, Sep 11, 2008.

1. fuzz

crazy_flieger

Hello,

I use Intrepid Ibex in the latest Beta Version. I can´t use any usb stick. These are Problems to mout them.

Any help?

best regards
    ... Joerg

crazy_flieger, Oct 9, 2008
  2. fuzz

acarya

Namaste again all!

Well, I received my AAO. The beta disk I had already burned was not without errors, so my install from an external optical was halting at the busybox line. I reburned a fresh download of 8.10 and the install went smoothly. I think the only thing I have had to do was blacklist the wireless drivers that conflict. everything else seems to work with the latest updates.

I have not tested the memory card readers or the webcam. The volume sounds a bit low, which I am unsure whether that is just due to the miniscule size of the speakers or something can be tweaked? I don't have the wireless LED indicator working, but then I don't really need it to work.

I left the recovery partition and WinXP in place on 10% of the drive, in case I have to use some **nix unfriendly online classwork sites. Very tempted to re-install and destroy those partitions now that I know the install worked so well... but I've already transferred my files to the HDD and have everything set up to my liking.

So that's a summary of the first 48 hours with my awesome little linux box! Thank you to all who helped contribute to the fixes and updates.
    :D

acarya, Oct 9, 2008
  3. fuzz

acarya

Well,
    I am not an expert, and I have the 120GB 3-cell version, but:

1. Perhaps do a fresh download & install of Intrepid, or make sure you have all the most recent updates from hardline.

2. Skip madwifi.

3. Balcklist ath_pci & Reboot...

This worked for me. Wireless signal strength is pretty good. Hope this works?

acarya, Oct 9, 2008
  4. fuzz

robotron

My ideal Ubuntu install would be onto an 8 GB SDHC card in the left card slot and only use the hard disk if I need space. Unfortunately the AAO doesn't seem to support booting from the SDHC, thus I was thinking about setting up Grub on the hard disk and allow booting into either Windows off the hd or Ubuntu on the flash card. Then once Ubuntu is loaded automatically spin down the hard disk to minimize power consumption/keep temperature down. Only if I need some additional space would I spin up the hard disk and mount it. Has anybody done this?

Heiko

robotron, Oct 9, 2008
  5. fuzz

mhenley

They set the device name of the cdrom the same as what a usb stick will show up as.

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

add # in front of the line that mentions a cdrom

Matt

mhenley, Oct 9, 2008
  6. fuzz

rattboi

To make netbook-launcher and maximus start every time, add them as commands under Preferences/Sessions.

rattboi, Oct 9, 2008
  7. fuzz

craggsy

On intrepid I can only get 640 or 1024 as display options in Open Arena. However 1024 doesn't go full screen, while 640 fills the screen. Any ideas how to get 1023 full screen or get other resolutions supported ?

craggsy, Oct 10, 2008
  8. fuzz

soleblaze

Since the aspire one doesn't consider the SDHC a hard drive, grub 1 won't see it. However, you might be able to get grub 2 to work as you can install modules in it. I've never done it with MMC devices before, so I'm not sure how hard it would be.

soleblaze, Oct 10, 2008
  9. fuzz

robotron

Good point, this may make this more difficult. With my previous EEE 701 I was so used to being able to boot from the SDHC that I assumed this would be pretty straightforward. Wish we could convince Acer to add BIOS support for booting of the SDs. I'll see if I can mess with it over the weekend and come up with a way to be able to spin down the hard disk.

Heiko

robotron, Oct 10, 2008
  10. fuzz

Guest Guest

To answer my own question, they tell me this is fixed now:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/pulseaudio/0.9.10-2ubuntu8

[edit] Installed updates and tested - all works well again.

Guest, Oct 11, 2008
  11. fuzz

lotus49

I have been running (on a USB stick) Intrepid Ibex since Alpha 5. I have been updating regularly and I remain frustratingly close to this being good enough to use but for one big problem with sound.

Sound does basically work but it is extremely quiet from the speakers. So much so that it is almost completely useless. Even if I turn the volume up to full and hold my One right to my ear it is still nowhere near loud enough. Similarly with Skype, it does work but both the call testing lady's voice and my own are barely audible.

I have noticed that it is not as bad using headphones. If I turn the Master volume and Headphone volume up to full, the sound is slightly louder than I would normally choose but is far from deafening.

I also have no sound from Flash in Firefox (eg youtube, BBC web site etc) but that may well be a Flash issue rather than being sound-related.

Am I alone in having this problem?

Everything else I care about works fine (although I haven't dared to try suspend since it totally trashed my SDHC card two kernels ago) so I would really like to sort this out and dump Linpus once and for all.

EDIT

I just had another go with suspend (having taken care to back up the contents of my SDHC card) and, although it didn't trash the SDHC card, nor did it work. On resume I got a kernel halt but an undamaged card, although that may just be because it crashed before it trashed my card.

lotus49, Oct 11, 2008
  12. fuzz

N6546R

Try the pulse audio drivers instead of the default. This fixed y audio problems in Ibex Beta.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 11, 2008
  13. fuzz

picasso

I have also problems with sound. After booting, i get a clear sound. But after supend there is nothing, even with pulse. I also get no mic working (tried with skype).

picasso, Oct 12, 2008
  14. fuzz

lotus49

I'll try that in a few mins and report back.

I wanted to add that my sound problems in flash were specific to flash. I had used the manual install but when I installed flashplugin-nonfree from the repos (medibuntu I think) it works fine.

EDIT

OK I tried that but I may not have done it properly as there was no change. What I did was to go into System->Preferences->Sound and changed the top four to PulseAudio. I have checked in mixer and everything seems to be turned up to full volume.

Is there more to enabling PulseAudio than this? I suspect the answer is yes since nothing seemed to happen. Can you explain how you did it please?

lotus49, Oct 12, 2008
  15. fuzz

encaputxat

I'm having problem with this, actually 32 packtets to configure, I can't enter to gnome session, only see the wallpaper.. When I upgrade, the installation says error, try dpkg configure or something to repair. Please help how to restore the problems....

encaputxat, Oct 13, 2008
  16. fuzz

Guest Guest

The cleanest way to get Intrepid on there is to use netbootin to boot the live installer from a flash drive.

..but since you've done the upgrade, try doing 'sudo apt-get -f install' a few times and see if it works. It sometimes fixes broken packages.

Guest, Oct 13, 2008
  17. fuzz

malmjako

When I use Fn-<right arrow> to increase screen brightness it does increase the brightness, but at the same time types a plus-minus sign. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes?

malmjako, Oct 13, 2008
  18. fuzz

lotus49

Yes and no. That is, yes it does happen to me and no I don't have a fix other than making sure an application that accepts text input doesn't have the focus when you adjust brightness.

lotus49, Oct 13, 2008
  19. fuzz

diverbelow

I had the same issue with my old laptop running 8.10, and the fix here http://www.ubuntugeek.com/pulseaudi...alizer-support-in-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron.html (I know it says it is for hardy) but I just ran the following:
    Set PulseAudio as the default ALSA device and enable the correct driver for libao applications

asoundconf set-pulseaudio

echo “default_driver=pulse” >~/.libao

Now you need to Go to System/Preferences/Sound. Ensure all the “Sound Playback” entries are set to their default setting of “Autodetect”, otherwise you may experience difficulties.

After logging out and back in, everything should work correctly!

I did that for 8.10 alpha 6 and for beta and each time it worked for me. Later this week, I am getting my One and will be installing 8.10 beta on my new One.

diverbelow, Oct 13, 2008
  20. fuzz

Guest Guest

I discovered that. Not sure if that's a problem with Ubuntu or the system BIOS (anyone willing to check from another OS?). Actually, I was getting it with the right arrow, not the left.

Guest, Oct 14, 2008
Ask a Question